Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

POR-15 update. MOTHER @#$%ER!!!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: POR-15 update. MOTHER @#$%ER!!!!! Reply with quote

Well, it's been two weeks since I installed my new exhaust wrapped in about 4 coats of POR-15. I crawled under the van yesterday to replace my leaky valve covers and gaskets and this is what I found Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I followed the instructions to a 'T'. I'm gona contact the manufacturer about this and see what they say. I'm not happy.

On a lighter note I finally got my much needed stock valve covers installed on the van, thanks to Dan from Syracuse Cool No more oil in the heater boxes Dancing

After doing some digging I found out that after market valve covers such as the ones I have often require special gaskets that are specifically designed to fit them correctly. That's why the oil has been passing right through my stock gaskets and dripping down on to my heater boxes. As you can see from the photo, the stock gaskets just wont stay put. This is what I discovered when I removed the drivers side cover. This had also happened in the passed. A piece of the gasket actually broke off inside and it caused me a collapsed lifter way out in PA.

Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to beat ceramic coating inside and outside the pipes, but cost . .
I had really surprising results once about 10 years ago painting a pair of iron Corvette manifolds using a few cans of Pep Boys High-temp exhaust spray-paint. It ended up a silvery white color once cooked well. Still looked good 5 years later when I sold the car. And it was cheap! In fairness though, those manifolds were better protected not being under the car, and I had also had free access to an ultra-high pressure water-blaster at the time. The advantage of blasting with UHPW over sand is that all rust and debris are removed leaving only raw metal behind. Sand on the other hand imbeds mineral into the metal's surface. That's why even a hint of moisture on sandblasted steel will cause rust immediately. I've decide to build my next exhaust system using thick-wall stainless. To hell with all coatings . . .

Here's a few pictures of the last VW exhaust system I created. I'm really proud of how it came out - more importantly how it makes power, but I feel like a total dumb-ass for not building it using stainless tube. It would have only added about $125.00 to the material cost which is certainly cheaper than a Jet Hot ceramic coating, and no more labor. I actually prefer welding stainless. I had to build this one because I couldn’t get anyone to do the job the way I needed it done. Transverse collector orientation, well tucked, long 1 5/8” primaries, high flow muffler, medium wall, thick flanges welded inside and out, etc. Everyone whined that there wasn't enough room, etc. Sometimes the world just isn't up to our expectations! . . Razz

Sorry to hear about the POR (P-O-S?) though. It's a bummer when you put time and care into a project and it dumps on you due to no fault of your own.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a beetle exhaust last year with the high heat POR20 last year. Followed the directions, spent a bunch of money on their chemicals and the stuff peeled off in big flakes in a week.
Went to the other guys and bought a $7 can of high heat exhaust paint and its still on there.
Complained to the company and got a gee thats too bad.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
benmac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man seeing this is making me jelouse. this summer im getting a new exaust system. good luck lovedavdubs with fixing that
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
We did a beetle exhaust last year with the high heat POR20 last year. Followed the directions, spent a bunch of money on their chemicals and the stuff peeled off in big flakes in a week.
Went to the other guys and bought a $7 can of high heat exhaust paint and its still on there.
Complained to the company and got a gee thats too bad.

Who were the "other guys"?
davidorchard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil G, that exhaust is increadible, if you haven't heard that enough yet. very nice!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone whined that there wasn't enough room, etc.

They were right. There is no room in there.

Nice job! Looks good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LD that bend gets Hella hot.. it's a heavier cast steel/iron so it'll take it as long as the weight of your muffler is always supported,

mine failed there because the strap failed and the bend had to carry the weight of the muffler.. it didn't like it.

the other POR 15 parts should hold up better.

also make sure you get your van running as close to right as possible.

lean will run a extra hott exhaust, rich will run a cooler exhaust, but increase the risk of backfires (if given leaks) and kill your Catylic converter.

glad the OEM VCs worked. now just check and change the gaskets often, your fresh air depends on it.

dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation, I had my brand new crossover pipe ceramic coated (yes, inside and out). Drove it straight from the store where I bought it to the coating shop. Damn thing is rusting out like there was no coating at all, right at the U-bend. I think it's just poor-quality metal, plus the heat generated from turning the exhaust around 180 degrees.

I'm hoping it will last long enough until Jake Raby finishes development on his header system.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funnny thing is that just this weekend I was making "the list" of things to do to the van in a couple of weeks when it emerges from its hibernation. One thing is what to do to the used exhaust I have to put on. Up to this point I feel that there has not been sufficient data supporting the use of POR-15. It seems that most of the work people have doen with this product has been unsuccessful. It looks to me that the best thing for this ehaust is to leave it bare and not let it touch salt. I think I might just throw it on as is and hope for the best.

Sorry about the failure ldvdubs!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the high temp paint you get at a FLAPS. The kind that you need to bake in by running the car to full temp within some amount of time after applicaiton. The higher the temp rating the better. I think you get 1200 or, maybe, 1800 degree paint. You may have to reapply from time to time. Better than all that rust, though.

Then again Googling would help too, I guess.

Best of luck,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use an old timers solution..

Stove polish.. made for wood stoves, keeps them black.. but still doesn't combat RED glowing metal , i doubt anything would stay on a surface that hott.

other solution is rub on some 'olive oil' time to time, let it smoke and it'll 'temper' to a nice nonrusting black..
also a wood stove trick that your not liekly to find in the big city.

both of these need to be 'refreshed' time to time which isn't that big of a deal while camping.. once a month reach back rub on some oil or polish.

dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, like a cast iron skillet.
Canola Oil might be better, it's got a higher smoke point than Olive, and doesn't smell as acrid when burned.

seems a little tough though to have to oil your whole exhaust every month or so.

if you used oil from a deep fryer you could pretend you were a veggie oil diesel Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work for me, nore did the dupicolor header paint from Autozone.
The people that used to swear by the POR products now say this is the stuff: http://72.10.43.141/high_temp.htm
I'm not wasteing any more money on my cheap exhaust.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stove polish keeps my baja mfflers nice and black..

they were already rusty so paint wasn't going to stick..

i just rub a lil on every now and again.

wear latex gloves.. it will stain..
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give the oil a shot. But I'm through with the expensive "High temp" paints and stuff. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad What a waist of time and money.

P.O.R. = Peels off rapidly
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvan wrote:
Canola Oil might be better, it's got a higher smoke point than Olive, and doesn't smell as acrid when burned.
seems a little tough though to have to oil your whole exhaust every month or so.

Peanut oil has an even higher smoke point. Recommended for stir-frys. In fact, you could pick your exhaust oil based on your culinary mood of the moment. Razz

Here's a thought: maybe the valve covers are supposed to leak in order to provide a nice protectiive film of oil on the exhaust system, and all of our efforts to plug up leaky valve covers have been in vain. Damn, but those VW engineers were clever. Twisted Evil
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Peanut oil has an even higher smoke point.

P.O.R. = Peanut oil prefered? Confused

SlowLane wrote:
Here's a thought: maybe the valve covers are supposed to leak in order to provide a nice protectiive film of oil on the exhaust system Twisted Evil

And my lungs Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there is paint under your POR-15. I thought POR-15 was to go over BARE metal ?
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
It looks like there is paint under your POR-15. I thought POR-15 was to go over BARE metal ?

Nope, if your looking at my picture, that’s bare metal under there. I had the entire system sand blasted prior.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: