Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i need help with a 72!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncooljesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: i need help with a 72! Reply with quote

hey everyone. my friend has a bay window that he's trying to get rid of. and i have my eye on it. but i dont know if its worth what he's asking.

he's got a 72 deluxe walk-thru bus. its in all original condition. the body seems to be solid with only some cancer on the passenger side door. very minimal though. the paint is dull and original. it seems to be solid over all. he mentioned the motor being a 1700cc motor which was rebuilt and with having the carbs rebuilt.

he's asking $1500 bucks for it. im fairly sure i can grab it for $1000 though. is it worth it?

my friend which is a volkswagen mechanic says that 72 is when the bays' started going down hill. is this true? some one helP!!!!!!

thanks,

jessie.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: i need help with a 72! Reply with quote

uncooljesse wrote:

72 deluxe walk-thru bus all original asking $1500
im fairly sure i can grab it for $1000 though.
my friend which is a volkswagen mechanic says that 72 is when the bays' started going down hill. is this true? some one helP!!!!!!

Downhill for those who are leery of Type 4 engines, maybe. Some of us thought 1972 was the year the bus started waking up. I like the '72s.
Colin
Brian Bower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Colin, that was the year things got more power.I have a 72-73 and a 79 ,the power is great for pushing those bricks around. If you can pick up a clean 72 with a rebuilt motor for a grand I would say it is a good buy. Let's see some pict's !
Karl on the east coast
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessie,

Just some perspective. I recently paid $1800 for a 72 with a rebuilt engine and new carbs, but that needed floor pan replacement, a headliner, interior work, and rear brakes. And I feel like I scored big time.

No matter what you do with buses, you're going to be able to find someone who will tell you you're an idiot for even considering whatever you're considering.

Do you like the bus? Do you have a spare $1000? Do you enjoy working on cars? Do you enjoy a vehicle that gets you waves everywhere you go, but that is decidedly quirky and, as compared with today's monster engines, underpowered?

I'm not sure what your friend means by "downhill." There are a lot of folks that are terrified by the "pancake" engines and so rather than learn about them, they vilify them. Ignore them. If I can learn about these things, anyone can. Go for it man. At the least, get it running, drive it across country, and I'll reimburse you your $1000 and you can fly home with some travel under your belt!

Best of luck!

Mike
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: i need help with a 72! Reply with quote

uncooljesse wrote:
hey everyone. my friend has a bay window that he's trying to get rid of. and i have my eye on it. but i dont know if its worth what he's asking.

he's got a 72 deluxe walk-thru bus. its in all original condition. the body seems to be solid with only some cancer on the passenger side door. very minimal though. the paint is dull and original. it seems to be solid over all. he mentioned the motor being a 1700cc motor which was rebuilt and with having the carbs rebuilt.

he's asking $1500 bucks for it. im fairly sure i can grab it for $1000 though. is it worth it?

thanks,

jessie.

I'd do it, I mean c'mon, you're Uncle Jesse (cerca Dukes of Hazzard) and he's up for any challenge that comes along. Wink

Type IV buses are your friend and last for a long time. I'm with the others who support this period of bus. Get it and post some photos.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone else here has failed to mention is that 72(some say 71) is when busses start getting more expensive to fix. However, the bus you have described seems to be a killer deal that is well worth it.
Many describe this year as downhill because as I said, it is when parts start getting more expensive and styling starts getting bland, in some folks opinion.
If you get a Bently manual and learn to do a great deal of mechanical work yourself then you can cut down on the expense and probably end up with a reliable mode of transportation that you know inside and out.
Original paint is nice and lack of severe rust is a dream. good luck

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BryanM wrote:
What everyone else here has failed to mention is that 72(some say 71) is when busses start getting more expensive to fix. However, the bus you have described seems to be a killer deal that is well worth it.
Many describe this year as downhill because as I said, it is when parts start getting more expensive and styling starts getting bland, in some folks opinion.
If you get a Bently manual and learn to do a great deal of mechanical work yourself then you can cut down on the expense and probably end up with a reliable mode of transportation that you know inside and out.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I agree with that Bryan. (here we go folks! jump on the dogpile!) Maybe it was 20 years ago, but with the relatively better availability of parts for the bay, it seems as though it might be a much cheaper way to go now. Not to mention the barrier to entry that the average splittie presents. What would a splittie of that description go for now? $7k? 10k? If I do an (admittedly unscientific) overview of splittie owners versus bay owners, bay owners definitely win the penny-pincher award overall. They can't be that expensive to fix...

Either way, for most of us, this is a hobby and not the vehicle we rely upon. (I know, I know, I said for MOST of us). So it's really a hair-splitting matter.

Now about that blandness comment. Mad

Mike
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my friend which is a volkswagen mechanic says that 72 is when the bays' started going down hill

Time to find a new mechanic. Something tells me he is not familiar with the T4 engines.
TheBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only things not admirable about 72's IMO:

-No engine access lid to those needy dual carbs (you'll just need to get flexible).
-old-style steering box (you'll get bigger arms)

the admirable:

-solid and OG paint
-classy looking bumpers
-1700's are robust

you should jump on it for a G!
1970 Beetle Convertible
1982 Rabbit Pick-up
1984 Vanagon Westfalia
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippopotabus wrote:
Quote:
my friend which is a volkswagen mechanic says that 72 is when the bays' started going down hill

Time to find a new mechanic. Something tells me he is not familiar with the T4 engines.

I second that. I have a 72 that I paid $750 for. I feel I got a good deal and I've had to do just about everything to get it back up to par. $1000 ROCKS!

I decided to start working on it myself when it became abundantly clear that most mechanics knew nothing about my engine (or most other engines for that matter). The more I had them do and then checked on myself (with all cars not just VW), the more I realized that most mechanics tinker and get things in the ballpark with no regard to actual specs. Especially on older cars. Start doing it yourself and you'll realize how easy it is. And you'll boost your self confidence/esteem when you brag to your pals about replacing the entire braking system in a day.

I live in Hollywood. If you need help, and wanna come out here, you're more than welcome. I'm not sure where Norwalk is. I'm by no means an expert but I've come to realize that after 8months of study and work I know a lot more that most self proclaimed VW mechanics I've come accross. Folks on here excluded of course.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusMan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: I have... Reply with quote

a '72.5 Westy that was pimped by the prior owner (no metal cut thankfully) and I put a slightly modified engine 2L+ 911 engine in it. It rocks and is the best performing bay I've ever had. And, tho I'd like to have that door over the engine like my '79 has, I haven't found it a problem at all. And, I wouldn't own a bay that didn't have power disk brakes. My '68 was too hard to stop to keep.

Enjoy, that sounds like a steal, Mark
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBeast wrote:

-No engine access lid to those needy dual carbs (you'll just need to get flexible)

and no complicated, stupid fuel injection to have to be working on all the time, either! Laughing

Oh God, did I just open up a can of worms.

Ha!
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penthink wrote:
BryanM wrote:

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I agree with that Bryan. (here we go folks! jump on the dogpile!) Maybe it was 20 years ago, but with the relatively better availability of parts for the bay, it seems as though it might be a much cheaper way to go now. Not to mention the barrier to entry that the average splittie presents. What would a splittie of that description go for now? $7k? 10k? If I do an (admittedly unscientific) overview of splittie owners versus bay owners, bay owners definitely win the penny-pincher award overall. They can't be that expensive to fix...

Either way, for most of us, this is a hobby and not the vehicle we rely upon. (I know, I know, I said for MOST of us). So it's really a hair-splitting matter.

Now about that blandness comment. Mad

Mike

I was speaking in reference to baywindows. Splits are of course more expensive to purchase as a vehicle. Early bays are undoubtedly cheaper when it comes to replacing brake parts, motors and motor parts, tail lights, and as I said, "bland styling" is a matter of opinion.
And an Air Cooled VW might be my hobby but is it also my daily driver that I rely on .

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY bus that runs, drives, and has minimal cancer for a grand is a steal in California... better hurry and grab it...

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice thing about your 72 is that you won't have to smog it. Exempt!! SO go ahead and drop in that 2.2L with a FI CI system.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penthink wrote:
TheBeast wrote:

-No engine access lid to those needy dual carbs (you'll just need to get flexible)

and no complicated, stupid fuel injection to have to be working on all the time, either! Laughing

Oh God, did I just open up a can of worms.

Ha!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, one doesn't need to be a mechanic to maintain a bus. you must have a mechanically oriented way of thinking. If you can read, you can repair. you need tools and the faith that you can do it.

I had a '72 and I used a foam pad for lying on the ground to do repairs. It was also used as a knee pad for bending into the engine bay (for the lack of trap door as mentioned above).

It's the old style bumper with the new engine...new tail lights, but pretty much looks like the older buses. I'd hop on it if you're up for a challenge and want a nice ride. Sounds like a deal. We need photos.
Thirstytank
Samba Gaucho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked out with my 72 because someone already hacked (kinda poorly) in a removable hatch into my Riviera. In fact, I just did the fiberglass work on it this weekend. That will make life easy when I put the engine back in.

1985 Vanagon Westfalia
https://www.facebook.com/VanagonMorrison
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirstytank wrote:
I lucked out with my 72 because someone already hacked (kinda poorly) in a removable hatch into my Riviera. In fact, I just did the fiberglass work on it this weekend. That will make life easy when I put the engine back in.

When I get everything else done, I definitely wanna add a hatch. The only downfall I can see with a pre 73'.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:
Thirstytank wrote:

When I get everything else done, I definitely wanna add a hatch. The only downfall I can see with a pre 73'.

Don't be tearing up a nice original bus. The illuminated fish was as far as I was going to let you slide. . . Very Happy
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: