Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 937, 938, 939 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well your samba name sure fits you now type2rescuemaine. I'm so happy to see you saved another bus and this one is super special SO23, way to go and I look forward to seeing the build thread as we know it will be great with your dad Burlyhammer helping. Nice father & son early Westy build.

Great shot great save and time to place her in the Main thread you started.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Those Maine Boys don't fuckabout !! Laughing

Winter extractions are pretty tough, the Mud, Ice & cold temps make those rescues a bitch, great job !! Keep the pics coming........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Those Maine Boys don't fuckabout !! Laughing

No we don't

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Ya those Mainers are very resourceful bunch...I woulda gone in with a saw all and a couple pack mules, mosquitoe spray, and something for poison oak.. Embarassed Laughing

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Ya those Mainers are very resourceful bunch...I woulda gone in with a saw all and a couple pack mules, mosquitoe spray, and something for poison oak.. Embarassed Laughing

Trust me, if we would have had Some oxen, we definitely would have got the bus out of there the first time and saved $$$ on the machine rental. And the photo ops... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Epic rescue. I so hope you do a rebuild thread 😊😊👍😎
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Here are some of the photos I took over the last 6 months of visiting the bus up to now. The first time we went there, we thought that we would drive the truck with the trailer down to the bus. We realized immediately that the ground was too soft, and we wouldn't make it. The second time we went, we rented the lift planning to carry 4 buses out of there. (The split window buses have been bought. There are some bay window buses still available there, along with a lot of other cool old cars and trucks.) After we picked up the SO23 the lift sank into the mud, and we spent the next several hours getting the lift out. No buses that day, and now the SO23 is sitting in the middle of the junkyard road. The next attempt, we rented the lift again. That day we were hoping the ground was frozen. It was not frozen enough. When the lift showed up, it was the smaller one with small tires. We didn't even attempt, and we called it a day. We then decided that since the SO23 was in the road it had to come out soon. We went back again to make it roll. We were going to drag the SO23 out with a pickup, but the ground was still too soft. We did get 3 wheels to roll. The fourth had 2 broken wheel studs, and a stripped stud. Also there were no tie rods, so even if it did roll, it wouldn't have gone far. Feb. 29 Leap day. We showed up with a tire, a drum, some tie rods, chains straps, a come along, 5 sheets of plywood and a tractor. We immediately buried the tractor. We used the wood mostly for the tractor. It ended up all disintegrated. Sorry for the long winded story. Believe it or not, this is the shortened version of the story. We finally got the bus out. Lots of trips, and lots of work, and lots of help from my son and Matt C.
This was only possible because of Matt. Thanks man!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

A Herculean effort under very trying circumstances. Congratulations. I’m very grateful that I don’t live in a place like that lol!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Epic extraction- well done for getting that beast out of there!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

She certainly made you work for it. Very Happy

Props to you for saving it and looking forward to the reconstruction.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow, that is both cool and scary
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Great Job... I know that was a lot of work. Nice to have another SO23 saved...

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

You east coast guys are nuts.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:

This was the wheel with two broken and one stripped stud. No backing plate made it easier to "tap" the drum off. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Since we pulled this bus out, we have been contacted by a few people via Instagram regarding parts from the bus. Hopefully the dash board will be coming back soon, along with a few other items. I am hoping we will be able to find the M Code plate. If anyone has it, or may know who has it, please PM me. It would be awesome to put it back in the bus!
Thanks Samba folks for all the positive feedback! We had a blast recovering this bus, and look forward to getting it back on the road!!! Very Happy
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
You east coast guys are nuts.

You think!!! I lived on east coast, saw rust that is crazy bad. I moved west.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Burlyhammer, you are a sick, sick freak.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Yes agree cool and scary, wow Burlyhammer I'm so happy for you and your son as you will do a great inspiring job on her rebuild. Also glad you have a good friend Matt C who made all of this possible. Is Matt going to rebuild one of them too? Thanks again East Coast Bus Heros Wink

Burlyhammer wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

This was the wheel with two broken and one stripped stud. No backing plate made it easier to "tap" the drum off. Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Yes agree cool and scary, wow Burlyhammer I'm so happy for you and your son as you will do a great inspiring job on her rebuild. Also glad you have a good friend Matt C who made all of this possible. Is Matt going to rebuild one of them too? Thanks again East Coast Bus Heros Wink

Burlyhammer wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

We are definitely lucky to have Matt as a friend. He’s a great guy and passionate about buses. If any bus can be saved, he will make it happen!
Thanks Linda!
East Coast Very Happy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That so23 looks like one i saw ten years ago in a yard in Maine the wood inside was all rotted. The only parts i got out of it where the hooks for the rear net and maybe a coat hook or two and a bunch of screws.There was a porcupine living in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 937, 938, 939 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 938 of 990

Jump to: