Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 940, 941, 942 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
'63 a Turkis Truck?

Looks light grey with a turkis decklid. Hard to say with that layer of dust.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, super excited to get them both! I'm not really sure what the electrical inlet is on the 63 yet, not really crawled around them and checked them out too much yet. The 63 is light grey though with a Turkis Decklid and Turkis passenger door on it. I did find the og paint light grey decklid and door in the barn however. The 63 came Mcoded with a 1500 engine and hoops and canvas, I was really hoping the hoops and canvas would be in the barn somewhere but no luck.

The extraction was a pain lol. Had a 1968 Truck bed camper blocking them that I tried 2 different trailers that wouldn't fit underneath and tried 2 different trucks which also wouldn't work. Came back day 2 and was able to borrow someone else's trailer to get it pulled out. When it came to pulling them out the 66 was the worst as it was wedged between the other bus and a wooden post. Luckily all that worked out though and was able to get them pulled out without any issues.

Here's you can see how close they really were, only inches between everything. This is when we finally got the camper moved and the wife was pretty happy to get in to them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:

Here's you can see how close they really were, only inches between everything. This is when we finally got the camper moved and the wife was pretty happy to get in to them.

happy wife = happy life
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Awesome find! Congrats on getting them extracted, thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Super cool find! Odd that the '63 has the double electrical inlet or outlet fixture above the left taillight. I wonder what that is all about? Great find, did you buy them both? Tell us more about this adventure! ...and congratulations!

Bill

I'd suspect it was wired for a trailer connector there. It is relatively easy to modify an American alternator to put out 100+ volts DC for a short time, but I doubt that is what is going on there.
Also fitted an Anhangkuppler. Trailer hitch ball. Called AHK in German ads.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

coolest find in a while !
Nice
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
coolest find in a while !
Nice

Yep. Very nice score. "Yea, I gotta couple old VW Pick-ups" and they turn out to be Doublecabs... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Holy Shit find of the Year !!!!!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Pretty excited to get to share these on my favorite thread and possibly the most unconventional bus hunting method documented so far...

This started out as a hunt for a 1960 15 Window bus and ended up becoming a 2 bus extraction, the other being a 1962 Walk-thru 23.

I first saw the 15 back in February 2017, but not in person. It actually sorta found me. One of the guys I was living with while at college matched with a girl on Tinder and immediately showed me her profile and jokingly said, “dude, check this girl out. She’s got a bus in her picture so you’d probably like her.” I took his phone and out loud said “holy s**t that looks like an early deluxe.” Shocked I was immediately was made fun of for being more interested in the bus but I was able to track down the photographer who took the pictures, messaged her and asked if she would show me where that “old bus” was in some of her pictures if I just paid her the going rate for a photo session. She agreed but insisted that we actually do the photo session… so I drove 3 hours from school to take these silly pictures I didn’t even really want and are totally not my style but whatever. She had me sounding out vowels really slow and kept asking me to run my fingers through my hair, look moody, etc. Rolling Eyes

After we finished and she had left the owner had just come home, so I introduced myself and told him that am really only there so I could see this bus for myself. So we talk VWs for a while and I finally ask if he’d be willing to sell. He said he’s had it for 20+ years and life has gotten in the way but he wants to finish swapping a roof off of another 23 window he has onto the 15... Shocked
“Come back in 3 years and maybe we’ll see.” Here’s what I left with:

Since then I would lose sleep over thinking about this bus at least once a month, depending on how much VW related stuff I was doing. So 2-3 weeks ago I decide I’ll just go out and see if he’s there and can plant the seed again. Drive 5 hours from Steamboat in my syncro doka and he’s not home. I loiter for a bit around this little town and keep checking back in on his place periodically then decide to come back tomorrow so I head back to Colorado to camp.

I head back on Sunday and he’s there. Knock on the door, we talk, look at the doka, look at the 15 again, and talk some more. I ask again if he’d be willing to sell it and he says probably not yet I still might get to it, that kind of stuff. So I went home emtpy handed then a week later he texts me saying he changed his mind. Rented 2 U-Hauls and picked them up a week later! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Ho Lee Shit. What a story.
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The older this thread gets the more random / chances of fate these stories become. Great score and persistence. That 15 is amazing even if it has the radio upside down.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Weld the roof back on that 62 and enjoy one of each.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

that's awesome..that 15 looks killer
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Killer 15-Window.
I noticed that upside down radio too - that is weird.

So he cut the roof off the 23 so he could swap it over and basically destroyed that Bus because he never did anything?
That's annoying...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice 15 window!

I would encourage you to be more careful with that pressure washer next time. Patina is fragile.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

What a great story. Congrats!

It's amazing how the posts in this thread have slowed down so dramatically over the past 10 years. Finding a bus like that 15 window is clearly becoming more and more difficult.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Thanks all!

EverettB wrote:
Killer 15-Window.
I noticed that upside down radio too - that is weird.

So he cut the roof off the 23 so he could swap it over and basically destroyed that Bus because he never did anything?
That's annoying...

Haha yeah the radio upside down is a weird one... but it still has the vinyl on the parcel tray and the speaker behind the dash which is pretty cool.

The surprising thing is the 23 is actually not that bad aside from the cut wheel wells, cargo door side rocker, and well... the roof. Luckily it's at a place that I think shouldn't have a problem getting it reattached correctly.

campingbox wrote:
Nice 15 window!

I would encourage you to be more careful with that pressure washer next time. Patina is fragile.

No worries! Thinking we're gonna paint it anyway! Wink

Kidding, but I have always thought original paint was really hard, but we had that little electric powerwasher on low to just take the 25 years of dirt off. Preserving that fade is definetly the goal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Is the red bus as good as it looks all over and under?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

epic score on 15 window- looks about perfect patina bus from my screen
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

What a great story, two killer finds-and great shop too!
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Is the red bus as good as it looks all over and under?

The only rust through I've found is the rear outer outriggers and jack points. Sure there could be more but I poked around it for a while on the lift and it's really really solid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 940, 941, 942 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 941 of 990

Jump to: