Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 942, 943, 944 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Yes, wow, good rescue.
It seems one quite often sees pretty decent frames for sale, usually with the nose skin cut off and a bus behind.
Can't remember one with a pickup, but there are certainly pickups with horrible cabs needing a complete new cab.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

DoubleEh wrote:
It was at about this point when I received a text from my dad saying you will never believe what he just got sent. His friend, who seems to have some form of ESP, was visiting his neighbor who owned Arrow Electric in the 80's. Inside his house he had a picture of the business from the early 60's. So he snaps a picture and sends it to my dad, simply to say check out these sweet VW's...meanwhile I'm across town in the woods digging out that exact same truck!

I don't know about anybody else reading this but this kind of stuff gives me the shivers. Did you see Rod Serling faintly hiding in the brush nearby?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
DoubleEh wrote:
It was at about this point when I received a text from my dad saying you will never believe what he just got sent. His friend, who seems to have some form of ESP, was visiting his neighbor who owned Arrow Electric in the 80's. Inside his house he had a picture of the business from the early 60's. So he snaps a picture and sends it to my dad, simply to say check out these sweet VW's...meanwhile I'm across town in the woods digging out that exact same truck!

I don't know about anybody else reading this but this kind of stuff gives me the shivers. Did you see Rod Serling faintly hiding in the brush nearby?

Haha.
the only reason we are talking about it is because it happened at the same time. Think how many of us collectively spent how many hours digging, cutting trees, changing tires and freeing up drums and winching out sunken busses from resting places. And bug and mosquitoes... and our dad did NOT send us a picture of an old bus that just happened to be the very same one 50 years earlier. About at least 200,000 to one odds.
Yes we dig, yes friends and relatives send pictures. Do they have the same vehicle? Not very often. Only once, I've heard of.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Probably way more than 200,000 to 1 odds.... I've never heard of this ever happening. My dad is a ford guy and knows I'm a total vw bus guy and tells everyone he meets to let us know of any vw busses they know off. And that alone turns out 1,000 to 1 odds of a lead. To have your dad take a pic of a 1960's photo of a bus a bus you found and are digging out the very same day???? That's got to be way higher odds. Like what the population of the world to 1 odds. Gives me chills too. I would have to build that cab back. And never sell it!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

So, who has a salvageable early single cab bed to make this truck happen? I know of a later (66?) bed, but nothing that early.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

DoubleEh wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
How is the floor and front frame section? I vote for reassembling leaving the cab as intact as possible.

I think you're right, I should leave the cab as intact as possible, it's way too cool to change. As for the frame, it is practically non-existent at the front. The beam mounting area is rusty and was attacked by an angry farmer with a torch. It seems like he was playing a fiery game of connect the dots with the beam mounting holes. I suspect I'll have to completely remove all traces of the frame to mount it to another chassis someday.

Appreciate the positive comments guys, I really questioned my sanity while digging this thing out but all the comments and how it's cleaning up really make me glad we did rescue it. Yesterday's elbow grease really paid off:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think this might need it's own thread soon.

What a great story so far! I can't believe it still has the emblem on it... be a hero and build it!
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

^^^THIS

Plus This
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2252303

Equals DO IT!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

DoubleEh wrote:

I will be honest I didn't completely dig the box out but based the digging I did do and all the bent sheet metal on what little seems to be left I didn't think I should. Maybe I need to revisit this plan?

To at least find the front engine seal area with the VIN stamp and possibly the load plate...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DoubleEh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
God I wish the blue paint on mine looked that good.
AND yes, I'd go back and dig up more of the rear. Even if only for the bumper. But sometimes, mud or soil will keep the rust at bay somewhat.

Alan, this ate away at me for days so I finally made a phone call. This is how my day went

So, it's all in one place now! My mom is just thrilled to have this beauty in her back yard for the forseeable future...

I'll have to start a proper thread instead of spamming this one. Some serious surprises when we dug it out.

Thanks for planting the seed Alan!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Oh, this is gonna get better.

Please do start that thread.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Post the link when you do. Thanks.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

DoubleEh wrote:

So, it's all in one place now! My mom is just thrilled to have this beauty in her back yard for the forseeable future...
Some serious surprises when we dug it out.

Nice. Looks like there's at least the partial remains of the gates there. Mangled but at least they're there. Looking forward to see what you got.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

It looks like the part with the VIN MIGHT be there. (different place on a pickup, BTW).
Lord knows I've looked at the one in my 56 a lot. Here's pics:

ALSO,
I think one could fix the rear gate. Buying new inner parts would make it easier.
Vanagons:
DoubleEh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Post the link when you do. Thanks.

Ask, and you shall receive
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741088&highlight=
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I looked at this bus 3 years ago... I thought it was just a basic 11 window bus...

It was on a property in Iowa near the Mississippi river, a very remote location with a 1 mile long goat path of a driveway. I was super deflated after learning I was 2 weeks late from getting a pair of 21 window buses. A widow of an old vw driver was trying to sell off her husband's buses. Her friend approached Robbie Wolf about buying them and he did so. This bus was left behind because it was much further into the woods and well it wasnt a "money" bus. Her neighbor drug it out of the woods back on to her property and that's where I first encountered it. I didn't think it was worth getting out in one piece! I ended up passing on it and the 3 bay window buses also left behind.

earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well I couldn't stop thinking about those buses... I ended up contacting her last year and buying the 4 buses and now I've just about got the last one out. 13 of the 16 drums had to be pulled to gut the brakes. They had to be rolling to get out as there was no way a trailer would ever make it down the driveway!

Anyway the bus is home and it turns out to be a 1964 tourist deliver so-22! It's so rusty and I have absolutely zero of the original westy stuff! What to do...
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Was this the stash that was near Lansing?
I'm 100 miles west (Waterloo, Cedar Falls) but 30 years ago kinda knew the guy that owned the salvage yard. His nephew kept telling me the guy had a couple oval window bugs.
There was also a small collection of early bay buses near Manchester, but driving by last winter it looked like many had been removed. Several quite rusty 68-70 Westys just didn't move me that much. The owner was ready to sell, tho.
Vanagons:
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Was this the stash that was near Lansing?
I'm 100 miles west (Waterloo, Cedar Falls) but 30 years ago kinda knew the guy that owned the salvage yard. His nephew kept telling me the guy had a couple oval window bugs.
There was also a small collection of early bay buses near Manchester, but driving by last winter it looked like many had been removed. Several quite rusty 68-70 Westys just didn't move me that much. The owner was ready to sell, tho.

These were right by Dubuque
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wasn’t there another gutted Turkis SO22 that was just found or is this the same one.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Wasn’t there another gutted Turkis SO22 that was just found or is this the same one.

I posted it in a Westy group on facebook... maybe you saw it there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 942, 943, 944 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 943 of 990

Jump to: