Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 945, 946, 947 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

^^
now that's cool
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looking good. Nice find on the logos. What are your plans for them?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Another one saved, pulled out this 1962 Turkis Standard Walkthrough.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:

Huh, I thought that one sold awhile ago. Does it still have the caramel brown rear seat?
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:

Huh, I thought that one sold awhile ago. Does it still have the caramel brown rear seat?

Yep still has the Caramel rear seat and kick. Surprised that was still in it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:

Mitch didn't sell off parts from buses, so that one stayed as it was. I have photos from that yard over 20 years ago. 25 years ago there was an original paint 57 23 window pulled out of there.

Not much left anymore, but still the 67 deluxe and a couple of bay crew cabs. I just missed the 56 single cab a couple weeks ago. That is another story altogether. Been trying to buy it for years, not for sale. Then all of a sudden it sold.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:

Mitch didn't sell off parts from buses, so that one stayed as it was. I have photos from that yard over 20 years ago. 25 years ago there was an original paint 57 23 window pulled out of there.

There was a '57 23? In '95, I got the '60 OG paint 23, you thinking of that one?

Nice buy on the '62.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:

There was a '57 23? In '95, I got the '60 OG paint 23, you thinking of that one?

Nice buy on the '62.

Yep, the 57 was owned by his brother I think. Not sure where it went.
aBeardedWeirdo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Picked this up a few months ago and just this past week was able to finally obtain a title for it. Lots of leg work but it's mine now.
Got the birth certificate and all now also. Let the restoration begin. 1964 Mouse Grey/Pearl White
Pulled it out of a guys back yard.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice score. Mouse grey is a great colour. What are your plans?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Another mango saved!

About a week ago, probably at about 11pm or 12am, I was making my rounds on the local facebook marketplace and craigslist when I happened upon this:

There was no location on the ad, although it had been listed in the Maine craigslist and it said it had been listed 'less than an hour ago,' so I figured there was a good chance I was one of the first to see it. I sent the ad to my dad, who contacted the guy who placed the ad.

Two days after my dad sent the initial message, he got a message back saying that the ad was a joke, and that the guy who found the bus had been hiking and happened upon the bus near the top of a mountain in western Maine. My dad asked the guy if there was any way he could get the location of the bus, and the hiker was nice enough to send a google maps pin AND a picture of an 'x' on a map marking the bus's location. The hiker also went far enough as to find the landowner and have him get in contact with my dad. A phone call later, the bus was ours for the taking - if we could get it down off the top of the mountain.

My dad and fellow vw enthusiast Matt C. who owns the mango my dad's working on (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739071) took an afternoon to locate the bus. One near-heart attack later, it was located, but there were a couple of problems: 1. The bus was located about 1 mile up a hiking trail that included 3 sections of path that were so steep that they were difficult to walk up, 2. the bus had a front beam and was luckily able to be steered easily but had no rear end, and 3. The extraction process would include getting the bus across a small stream and a huge hole in the trail where a culvert had recently been taken out.

My dad and Matt formulated a plan, which included a winch, a bus tow hitch, a boat trailer axle, and Matt's four-wheeler.

On Sunday, myself, my dad, Matt and yet another vw enthusiast, JP, headed out to the Mountain, about 3 hours west of home. We brought the trailers (one for the four-wheeler and one for the bus, given we were able to get it out in a day) as far as we could and dropped them.

After loading the four-wheeler with a jack, two roller wheels for the front, a drum puller, the hitch and axle, the winch and 5 12v batteries, we started up. The foliage is absolutely beautiful this time of year in Maine, and the weather was just about as perfect as it could've been:

When we made it to the top, this is what we saw:

Matt hooked up his bluetooth speaker and the fun began. The bus was jacked up, a couple of trees were cut (not nearly as many as we've had to deal with in past extractions, thankfully), the front drums were pulled and the front wheels were replaced with two roller wheels, and the axle + hitch concoction was installed:

This being done, the bus rolled and steered surprisingly easily. About 30 feet from its resting spot, the steep decline down started, so the winching began. To do this, we chained the winch to a tree and connected the winch to the rear of the bus and slowly let the winch out. This continued for several hours (the pictures do not do the incline of the trail any justice, it was STEEP):

When the incline was over, we still had several more obstacles to conquer. First was a stream crossing, which we used Matt's four-wheeler ramps to cross:

Next, there were several 'wimpy' declines (compared to the others) that were extremely uneven and rocky, and because we needed to save what was left of the batteries, Matt opted to pull the bus down with his four-wheeler, trying not to let the bus run into the back of him. Of course, I was voted to sit in the bus and steer during this scary process, and because of the trauma caused by these events, no pictures were taken Laughing Somehow, we made it through these rocky sections (although the bus suffered a cargo floor/frame dislocation) and the bus was finally loaded onto the trailer as the sun was going down:

All in all, I think the four of us could agree that it was a great day, although slightly nerve-racking at times. I think we were all surprised that the bus made it out in just one day, but having four people on the job made it a lot smoother that it could've been.

It was somewhat sad that the middle cargo floor section/frame had to detach from the bus, but it was bound to happen at some point - obviously the entire underside is basically toast (we don't seem to be able to find buses in any better shape these days).

In conclusion, thanks to my dad, Matt and JP for a great day!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Applause Great story !

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wow, that is awesome.

I know what you mean about trying to take photos of hills, they never seem to do justice to how steep it really is in person.

This is my favorite pic:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

epic rescue
great photos
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Wow, that is awesome.

I know what you mean about trying to take photos of hills, they never seem to do justice to how steep it really is in person.

This is my favorite pic:

Right in front of the bus there was a serious dip into a brook. Here is the pilot right before we crossed the brook:
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Is it “another mango saved” or should we call them “Maine-go’s” ?

How do you think the bus got up there back in the day?

Would it have taken the same route up that you guys did bringing it down? Or was there a road back then that’s blocked by trees now?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That is so great. Love the extraction stories.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Is it “another mango saved” or should we call them “Maine-go’s” ?

How do you think the bus got up there back in the day?

Would it have taken the same route up that you guys did bringing it down? Or was there a road back then that’s blocked by trees now?

Seems like Maine-gos keep appearing. Once this one makes it home we will have 4 in the yard. Very strange.
The easiest way up to the bus was the trail we brought the bus down on. There wasn't any evidence of an alternate route. They must have dragged the bus up there with a log skidder, or some other piece of woods equipment back in the day. It was up there for a very long time.
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Applause Great job... love the story!

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 945, 946, 947 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 946 of 990

Jump to: