Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 946, 947, 948 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Once agian, "them Maine Guys don't Fuckabout" Lots of good Extractions from the Great State of Maine.... And now 4 Mangos.

Just a bit of a hill Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I've said it before, y'all Mainers are crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Now THAT is an extraction! Mango on!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Had your mosquitoes gone away? I feel tired just observing.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

i love it!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

beautiful scenery. I bet you're sorted for wall papers now.

Last edited by zimblewinder on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Epic abstraction, epic report! Thank you for sharing!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Awesome, Maine guys are just awesome Applause Applause Applause
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Fantastic!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

A maine zing !

you guys are nuts........but I wouldve went along with ya ! nice work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:
A maine zing !

you guys are nuts........but I wouldve went along with ya ! nice work

Looks like fun don't it? I love diggin' them out.
boulderz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Love it, nice work fellas! I see a steady stream of burlyhammer rescue threads for years!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That is just awesome. That bus is going to be a lot of work though!
'65 Honda Dream
cotegary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

My son Christian and I have been rescuing VW’s for about 4 years. We have allot of project cars including a ‘55 Chevy, ‘51 Chevy 5-window truck, a few Beetles (‘57 Oval, ‘60 numbers matching, ‘60 ragtop, ‘62 ragtop) some buses (‘58 PGSG, ‘60 Mango, ‘64 Sundial, ‘66 panel, ‘66 13-window DeLuxe, ‘67 Doublecab, ‘70 panel, ‘72 tintop Westy) a dunebuggy and even a ‘70 Karmann Ghia.

My son put an ISO on FB Marketplace and surprisingly he got some leads. We got a ‘60 ragtop Beetle and a ‘66 split panel as well as a possible lead on a “bus with allota windows”. The fellow got in touch with my son and said his cousin had a bus with “All them windows”. So I called the number he’d given for his cousin and left a message. Fast forward 18 months to when I finally got a call back. When the fella started talking to me I had no idea who he was. After I clued in we talked for awhile. He said he thought the bus was a ‘60 and it did have a bunch of windows. So that’s how it went, back and forth for 2 years. Nothing but vague promises, smoke and mirrors. Every couple of months I would call him, and he would promise photos. I almost deleted his contact info I was so frustrated. I said to my son “This guy is a flake, I don’t even care any more!” He replied “Well, I thought it would be fun to go one on, last, epic road trip with you...” How do you say no to your 17 year-old son when he says that?!?

We never got anything, until early September. The owner sent two photos, and immediately I realized it wasn’t a ‘60. I forwarded the photos to my son, who promptly lost his mind. It was a Wednesday, needless to say I told him we were going to make the 18 hour trip on Friday. When we got out to the property (in the middle of no where, 30 minutes from the nearest town of Smithers, BC) it was dusk. The owner had to go out so we went for a walk in the woods to find the bus. It was buried, way back which is probably why it wasn’t already gone. Lots of hasty checking to see if we could identify what year it was. The first clue was the 6-legged middle seat, which lead us to check for the tube transaxle carrier. The 21- serial number confirmed it was a Wolfsburg bus. Unbelievably even though we were in the middle of no where we had cell service. I texted a few pictures to my buddy Keith, the bus guru. One of the pictures was of a weird spring-loaded step on the bus (which he explained was an “ambulance step”). We headed back to town to our hotel, with plans to meet early the next day. I don’t think I slept more than 20 minutes that night.

Bright and early we headed back to the bus to start the extraction. We met Wayne, the owner. He was a grizzled old dude. He said he bought the bus at an auction for the transaxle. He wanted it to make a dunebuggy, a project he never got to, luckily. After we negotiated the price (he knew he had something valuable... it wasn’t $500) we headed back with all our extraction tools. Christian and I have rescued quite a few Beetles and busses over the years. Our motto is “Take everything, all of the time”. It’s served us well. We used our trusty drum puller, but only had to free 3 wheels. It seems almost every drum on every car is locked up. Our drum puller has paid for itself many times over. While we were working we noticed one of the wheels didn’t match. We had 3-2/55 Lemmerz crows foot wheels and one, white 3/55 wheel. Wayne, the owner said “Yeah, I think I saw that wheel awhile ago” and took off. He was gone a good 30 minutes, before he came back... with the wheel AND the original crank lever. He had it on his scrap metal pile, on his trailer. My son, Christian, was doing some “Carcheology” and found the missing bubble taillight under the front seat, in the toolbox.

Wayne hooked onto the bus with his tractor and pulled it out of the bush. It was honestly the easiest extraction we’ve ever done, it felt like cheating. We’ve had to cut down half a forest to rescue buses or work in the snow in freezing temperatures installing transaxles. We were loaded and ready to go by 2:00 pm. I had booked another night at the hotel just to be safe. Wayne showed us around the rest of his place. He had old Chevelles, early Chev trucks, early buses... like real buses, and even an old ‘60s Mercedes.

Rather than leave the bus in the hotel parking lot we left it at the ranch with plans to pick it up in the morning. We left Smithers at 5 am, drove the 30 minutes to the ranch, hooked up the trailer, then went back the way we came. 18 hours doorstep to doorstep. Christian and I always celebrate a successful rescue the same way, a meal of A&W Grandpa burgers with bacon and cheese, onion rings and frosty cold root beer.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

fantastic find and a great story to go with it. Well done!
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wow, awesome!
Crazy find. Crazy horns!
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Fantastic

What are your plans for it?
Have you cleaned it up yet?
What state are the floors in?
Does it have the kick panels?

Would like to see more detail pictures.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I think my jaw dropped when you texted me the VIN from the middle of terra incognita and I looked it up.

I think your jaw dropped when you found out it was a late 55 build!!

Good save brother!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice! Will it be a memory maker or just a money maker?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looks complete too, what a score!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 946, 947, 948 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 947 of 990

Jump to: