Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 947, 948, 949 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The time spent and memories made with your son are priceless. The bus is the cherry on top. Congrats!
Brandini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

wow incredible score. Glad you didn't give up on it!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Very cool.

Love how you put a set of hubcaps on it to haul it out too. Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Mega mega score!! Congrats!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wow! What a fantastic find and a great memory for your son. Persistence furthers!
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Very Cool..!! and here is a shameless plug... if you need another 15" - 2/55 bus rim, I have a perfect one, I'm in Vancouver, BC
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That kind of find would make my 2020 go from bad to glad in a N.Y. minute! What a find that is!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

wolfsburg 23w what a score!!
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Applause Well done! Great find!

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That is way out there up north!
I know some guys who drove through Smithers on the way back from Hyder, AK in 2016.

I think this pic was taken from Canada.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

great find and extraction
this pic is solid gold.. have it printed, put in a box and give to his kids when he's your age..

and hopefully he'd still have the bus.. $$ comes and goes. old VWs never come back.. No Regerts Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Is it “another mango saved” or should we call them “Maine-go’s” ?

I thought it was the Mango Gango? Is that thread even around still?

Epic rescue! Thank you for sharing it!

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Great find, great rescue, great story! I hope you start a build thread as I'd live to follow this one! Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Congratulations on an epic find!! That picture is awesome! ^^^^
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Damn! That’s gotta be one of the best scores in a minute. Congrats!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Why is it not more rusty?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Why is it not more rusty?

Because central BC is a desert. Don't tell anyone.
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Mega mega score!! Congrats!!

X2!

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Curious, what did you pay for the bus?
cotegary wrote:
My son Christian and I have been rescuing VW’s for about 4 years. We have allot of project cars including a ‘55 Chevy, ‘51 Chevy 5-window truck, a few Beetles (‘57 Oval, ‘60 numbers matching, ‘60 ragtop, ‘62 ragtop) some buses (‘58 PGSG, ‘60 Mango, ‘64 Sundial, ‘66 panel, ‘66 13-window DeLuxe, ‘67 Doublecab, ‘70 panel, ‘72 tintop Westy) a dunebuggy and even a ‘70 Karmann Ghia.

My son put an ISO on FB Marketplace and surprisingly he got some leads. We got a ‘60 ragtop Beetle and a ‘66 split panel as well as a possible lead on a “bus with allota windows”. The fellow got in touch with my son and said his cousin had a bus with “All them windows”. So I called the number he’d given for his cousin and left a message. Fast forward 18 months to when I finally got a call back. When the fella started talking to me I had no idea who he was. After I clued in we talked for awhile. He said he thought the bus was a ‘60 and it did have a bunch of windows. So that’s how it went, back and forth for 2 years. Nothing but vague promises, smoke and mirrors. Every couple of months I would call him, and he would promise photos. I almost deleted his contact info I was so frustrated. I said to my son “This guy is a flake, I don’t even care any more!” He replied “Well, I thought it would be fun to go one on, last, epic road trip with you...” How do you say no to your 17 year-old son when he says that?!?

We never got anything, until early September. The owner sent two photos, and immediately I realized it wasn’t a ‘60. I forwarded the photos to my son, who promptly lost his mind. It was a Wednesday, needless to say I told him we were going to make the 18 hour trip on Friday. When we got out to the property (in the middle of no where, 30 minutes from the nearest town of Smithers, BC) it was dusk. The owner had to go out so we went for a walk in the woods to find the bus. It was buried, way back which is probably why it wasn’t already gone. Lots of hasty checking to see if we could identify what year it was. The first clue was the 6-legged middle seat, which lead us to check for the tube transaxle carrier. The 21- serial number confirmed it was a Wolfsburg bus. Unbelievably even though we were in the middle of no where we had cell service. I texted a few pictures to my buddy Keith, the bus guru. One of the pictures was of a weird spring-loaded step on the bus (which he explained was an “ambulance step”). We headed back to town to our hotel, with plans to meet early the next day. I don’t think I slept more than 20 minutes that night.

Bright and early we headed back to the bus to start the extraction. We met Wayne, the owner. He was a grizzled old dude. He said he bought the bus at an auction for the transaxle. He wanted it to make a dunebuggy, a project he never got to, luckily. After we negotiated the price (he knew he had something valuable... it wasn’t $500) we headed back with all our extraction tools. Christian and I have rescued quite a few Beetles and busses over the years. Our motto is “Take everything, all of the time”. It’s served us well. We used our trusty drum puller, but only had to free 3 wheels. It seems almost every drum on every car is locked up. Our drum puller has paid for itself many times over. While we were working we noticed one of the wheels didn’t match. We had 3-2/55 Lemmerz crows foot wheels and one, white 3/55 wheel. Wayne, the owner said “Yeah, I think I saw that wheel awhile ago” and took off. He was gone a good 30 minutes, before he came back... with the wheel AND the original crank lever. He had it on his scrap metal pile, on his trailer. My son, Christian, was doing some “Carcheology” and found the missing bubble taillight under the front seat, in the toolbox.

Wayne hooked onto the bus with his tractor and pulled it out of the bush. It was honestly the easiest extraction we’ve ever done, it felt like cheating. We’ve had to cut down half a forest to rescue buses or work in the snow in freezing temperatures installing transaxles. We were loaded and ready to go by 2:00 pm. I had booked another night at the hotel just to be safe. Wayne showed us around the rest of his place. He had old Chevelles, early Chev trucks, early buses... like real buses, and even an old ‘60s Mercedes.

Rather than leave the bus in the hotel parking lot we left it at the ranch with plans to pick it up in the morning. We left Smithers at 5 am, drove the 30 minutes to the ranch, hooked up the trailer, then went back the way we came. 18 hours doorstep to doorstep. Christian and I always celebrate a successful rescue the same way, a meal of A&W Grandpa burgers with bacon and cheese, onion rings and frosty cold root beer.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Been ages since I’ve found a bus. Been looking for Ghias lately and found this ‘58 walkthrough panel off the road since the early 90s. Has dealer plate frame from Everett, WA. Split case trans, crank apron, rebuilt 1600, logos from a nursery under the respray, squirters with pull switch but no reservoir, all lights, has bumpers but at a different location, usually rocker rust, but solid frame. We passed on buying it cause it’s all about the Ghias now, but a good friend wanted it so we hauled it down for him.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 947, 948, 949 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 948 of 990

Jump to: