Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 883, 884, 885 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The fact still remains, YOU TRESPASSED, then YOU violated his privacy,by taking unsolicited pictures of his stuff WITHOUT his PERMISSION. so wrong.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Up in arms about pics on property:
It's not like your wife went to see our favorite dentist (wdollie6)... and he gave her some knockout gas, then he undid her blouse & lifted her skirt... took pictures and spread them on the internet.

If someone is uncomfortable with a random person walking to the front door, barn, garage, carport, etc... put up a fence/gate, shut it, lock it & post as "no trespassing" every fifty feet.
Absent of that... it's obviously not that big of a deal.
It's not like he was prowling / casing the joint.

Pictures with permission?
Seen Google Earth, Google Street View?... drones?
GutBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wow! Here I'm thinking how did I miss that find. I thought I trolled all those roads around Delhi. Used to Live in Oneonta and visit several times a year still, and Im always hitting the back roads around there. Im really bummed!

Nice find... If it turns out to be a find.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I'd be pissed if those were my buses. You ARE the kind of person that causes people to board up property and keep things to themselves. You are clearly deep into the owners private property
wdollie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Eric G., I'll submit that you have no idea what 'kind of person' I am but regardless thanks for the feedback. Clearly I have offended your sense of right and wrong so I'll apologize for that as well.

That being said I will continue my pursuit of the owners to determine if 1. they will let me take a closer look and 2. if they are interested in selling anything. With 2 of my 3 VWs, all found locally, I am 2 for 2 with owners who were happy to work with me. None of the vehicles were advertised I just stumbled across them, none of the owners were home as both lived in FL but they had no problems that I had looked at them in their absence (and took pictures). Maybe this is not normal for where you live but it is here, thank god.

Again, appreciate your input.
1972 Westy, Sierra Yellow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I'd have to research the relevant law for NY state, but in many states what you did would not be against the law. It depends on if the property was posted and other factors. It is premature for anyone to be so certain a crime was committed. To me, looks like whoever owns that land doesn't care very much about any of those buses except the one in the barn and I'd be surprised if they were offended.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

350 your doing a lot of assuming for someone you don't no. I know in Florida you could get shot.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

So, in Florida you can legally shoot someone for walking into your yard/field/curtilege and looking at your junk cars in broad daylight?

Without asking them to leave first, just shoot them and it's legal?

You don't have to determine they're threatening you with serious bodily harm first?

If someone gets the wrong address and walks into your backyard after ringing your doorbell looking to see if anyone is home, in Florida you can just shoot them summarily?

That's interesting. Please cite the relevant state law if you find it.
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

350 here's your's for AZ. Illegal there just like everywhere else including N.Y. an PA where I am. Don't assume anything.
Whether in the Phoenix area, or anywhere in Arizona, per A.R.S. §13-1502, §13-1503 and §13-1504, “Trespass” is generally when a person knowingly enters or remains unlawfully on a piece of property after they have been requested to leave, or without the expressed permission of the owner, or in violation of a posted sign warning of Trespass.
There at varying degrees to which one can be charged. You might change your view after you have a couple meth heads back a truck up to your door after they "knocked" and didn't get a response.
Another FYI, property does NOT need to be posted. Quite the contrary. Not sure why this is always an argument people seem to come up with. Maybe you could post law to back up what you say.

Last edited by tjewett on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

tjewett wrote:
350 here's your's for AZ. Illegal there just like everywhere else including N.Y. an PA where I am. Don't assume anything.
Whether in the Phoenix area, or anywhere in Arizona, per A.R.S. §13-1502, §13-1503 and §13-1504, “Trespass” is generally when a person knowingly enters or remains unlawfully on a piece of property after they have been requested to leave, or without the expressed permission of the owner, or in violation of a posted sign warning of Trespass.
There at varying degrees to which one can be charged. You might change your view after you have a couple meth heads back a truck up to your door after they "knocked" and didn't get a response.

So, they can then be legally shot summarily like the other poster stated ?

Plus, law enforcement will look at the intent. Trying to locate the owner to ask them about their buses in broad daylight is viewed differently than the tweakers knocking, then bringing their vehicle around back to avoid view, presumably to then break in.

Totally different scenarios, and the court looks at the totality of the circumstances.

And the folks that are so perfectly sure that the original poster committed a crime, could be shot in Florida, blah blah blah and are scolding the rest of us excitedly to "don't assume", for all we know there's a perpendicular road or right of way that he took the pictures from that goes along the side. We weren't there, I think assuming one way while sticking your finger out at someone else for assuming a different way is the same thing.

By the way, I'm not saying with 100% certainty that the original poster didn't possibly violate the law in NY. Maybe so. But in the state I'm from originally, either the property has to be posted every 50', or the alleged trespasser has to be told to leave at least once and not leave in a reasonable time before a trespassing charge could be entertained, absent some other mitigating factor. I.e. being armed, breaking into a structure, taking property and so forth.

Last edited by AS350driver on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
tjewett wrote:

So, they can then be legally shot summarily like the other poster stated ?

I guess that's a problem in "Defend my castle" states. They have a right to shoot if they feel threatened. If you're the one trespassing you won't be able to tell otherwise if they're a good shot. Public right of way is typically 13' from the center of the road. If you're not in that area or on a sidewalk thats the risk you take. People know where they're supposed to be and where they're not. The mentality that " I've broken the law before and had positive results" is a bigger issue
*I'd Love to see the "every 50 feet rule" people refer to. Pretty sure it's another internet myth kept going by people trying to justify what they're doing.. Please cite a credible source when you get time.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I don't have the time nor energy to research trespass law in every state tonight, but that is different than castle doctrine and the use of deadly force. I'm pretty sure in most states that castle doctrine is referring to *inside* your castle, i.e. your residence. Shooting someone that wandered into your front yard, rear yard or side yard that isn't armed, or blatantly posing a threat isn't going to stand up. And depending on the state it might not even constitute a trespass violation. I have several hundred acres back east that my brother watches over for me and this comes up every so often. Hunters traipsing around, people seeing our classic tractor and vw bus junkyard from the road and walking over to take a look, etc. We don't feel like posting literally hundreds of no trespassing signs that it would take for 400 acres of land. No way. The Sheriffs office explained the law and at least back there the original poster would have been just fine.

I just checked, and apparently the latest deal back home is painting purple stripes on trees in lieu of signs I'll still pass.

Last edited by AS350driver on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let's get this thread back on track... Here's one I picked up thanks to Tom aka crukab. Thanks Tom !! It's not as pretty as the previous one's but I can assure everyone that no laws were broken harvesting it. LOL The rest of you hoarders need to cough up some pics!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Here's Alaska law, for example. I rest my case. It goes on to detail the signage requirements and/or verbal notifications that have to be given first and so forth, but apparently you'd be safe in Alaska to wander up to a bus you saw out in a field, generally speaking.

"

Alaska state laws for no trespassing are laid out in Alaska Statute Title 11 Chapter 46 Section 350, or AS 11.46.350.

In layman’s terms the statute states that assuming the person that has entered and/or remains on land that is neither fenced nor designed to exclude intruders and has no intent to commit a crime can remain on the land unless the following is in place:

Notice is given to the person by the owner or by an authorized person that there is no trespassing.

Notice is given to the person in a reasonably visible way based on the circumstances.

This notice is sufficient if it meets the following requirements:

Legible in English

It is at least 144 square inches in size

Contains name and address of both the person whose authority is posting the sign and the one that can grant permission to enter

Is placed at all known access points to the property

If an island, posted at each cardinal point of the island

States specific prohibitions such as no digging, hunting, fishing, trespassing, etc.

alaska no trespassing specific

alaska trespassing specific
lo-lo55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Coming from a country that has little to no guns I find it hard to fathom that checking out a vehicle visible from the street would warrant getting a firearm pulled on you... Hopefully by the amount of easily removable trim and parts the people of Delhi are a bit more honest and relaxed! Thanks for posting the picks and hope you get the option to buy one !!
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Here's Alaska law, for example. I rest my case. It goes on to detail the signage requirements and/or verbal notifications that have to be given first and so forth, but apparently you'd be safe in Alaska to wander up to a bus you saw out in a field, generally speaking.

"

Alaska state laws for no trespassing are laid out in Alaska Statute Title 11 Chapter 46 Section 350, or AS 11.46.350.

In layman’s terms the statute states that assuming the person that has entered and/or remains on land that is neither fenced nor designed to exclude intruders and has no intent to commit a crime can remain on the land unless the following is in place:

Notice is given to the person by the owner or by an authorized person that there is no trespassing.

Notice is given to the person in a reasonably visible way based on the circumstances.

This notice is sufficient if it meets the following requirements:

Legible in English

It is at least 144 square inches in size

Contains name and address of both the person whose authority is posting the sign and the one that can grant permission to enter

Is placed at all known access points to the property

If an island, posted at each cardinal point of the island

States specific prohibitions such as no digging, hunting, fishing, trespassing, etc.

alaska no trespassing specific

alaska trespassing specific

Don't rest too soon. That only applies to "unimproved lands" and Senate Bill 201 supposedly removed the need for signs.... which were only required at roadway entering property. You left out all l the good stuff.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Well l, here is some more detail about AZ you didn't exactly volunteer. Gobs and gobs of notices and signage requirements before a charge will stick, if other readers want the Cliffs notes version.

https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/Documents/072313.pdf

Again, I'm not making the argument that the original poster is 100% guilty of a crime, that's you guys trying to make that case. I'm simply saying not so fast, maybe not.

And the stuff about shooting people for wandering into your yard to look at something, I hope no one quotes that after they shoot someone that goes to a wrong address, or a kid that chases a ball into a back yard. "Well I read on the Samba you can shoot trespassers in xxxxxxx'

All I can say, is if you're so sure, then tackle and do a citizen's arrest the next time someone wanders into your yard ooohing and aahhing over your bus. Maybe wave a gun around at them. Let me know how that works out Smile
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Besides upsetting the owner you have just told the samba world where this bus stash is. Guess how many people are on Google earth trying to find them since you made this post? You better get busy before they get to the owner before you do!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Oh my !! That IS way more Rusty than I recall !!
Good to see that Beast out from behind a fence & being saved........
Yes, back to BUS Hunting !! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Oh my !! That IS way more Rusty than I recall !!
Good to see that Beast out from behind a fence & being saved........
Yes, back to BUS Hunting !! Laughing

Got this one that was next to it for the floors and chassis.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 883, 884, 885 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 884 of 990

Jump to: