Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 910, 911, 912 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Skim wrote:

What port code is UK

??

UK port code= USA, Reserve

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/exportcodes.php

I've seen this on another bus at some point in time. I have no idea what it means?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Skim wrote:
Skim wrote:

What port code is UK

??

UK port code= USA, Reserve

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/exportcodes.php

I've seen this on another bus at some point in time. I have no idea what it means?

Me either, I'm not sure if that means it was "Reserved" for use and was put into use later and the VW list was never updated or ?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Skim wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I wonder who grabbed all the doors off that '57 Standard

What port code is UK

??

USA, Reserve
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
Lind wrote:
type241 wrote:
What's the story behind the find/hunt Lind?
Not all that exciting. It popped up on los angeles craigslist, and a buddy of mine turned me onto it. I was first in line, the flipper said more people were calling offering more money, so he upped the price, then he claimed the deal fell through and he couldn't get the bus to begin with. I figure that he just went with a high offer. There were plenty of phone calls as he slowly flaked out. I was set to buy a plane ticket and fly in tonight to make the deal. I'm not particularly surprised if a random craigslist flipper decides to take higher offers and maximize their profit. I don't really care if I miss any bus because there are so many more out there. I wish these things were worthless again. When I got into this hobby, that bus would be a $500 car on a good day. Near impossible to find that particular model, but $500 when you did find such a bus.

Inside story on the two 15's ( one double door) is: the flipper is from orange county and rode his Harley up for sturgis. while he was there he got into a conversation with a local that mentioned he had two buses that have been sitting on his property for years. he rode out and struck the deal and had them moved to a local friends place. being from Huntington beach area he knew Aggie but didnt have his # because he had recently gotten a new phone so he went ahead and listed them on CL and then made a few calls and got aggies # from a mutual friend. once he told aggie about them it was a done deal. I can tell you that they did go for slightly over the asking price but not much and he did have higher offers over the phone but chose to go with someone whom he had former business relations with. Greg is super stoked to have the bus and will be leaving it in OG paint despite he reputation for restoring everything and turning them into 23 windows . He knows better on this one.

I guessing this is the other 15 window that was part of the deal that came up in the classifieds yesterday evening? That is an exceptionally solid bus and fairly priced.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2213572
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
chris henry wrote:
Lind wrote:
type241 wrote:
What's the story behind the find/hunt Lind?
Not all that exciting. It popped up on los angeles craigslist, and a buddy of mine turned me onto it. I was first in line, the flipper said more people were calling offering more money, so he upped the price, then he claimed the deal fell through and he couldn't get the bus to begin with. I figure that he just went with a high offer. There were plenty of phone calls as he slowly flaked out. I was set to buy a plane ticket and fly in tonight to make the deal. I'm not particularly surprised if a random craigslist flipper decides to take higher offers and maximize their profit. I don't really care if I miss any bus because there are so many more out there. I wish these things were worthless again. When I got into this hobby, that bus would be a $500 car on a good day. Near impossible to find that particular model, but $500 when you did find such a bus.

Inside story on the two 15's ( one double door) is: the flipper is from orange county and rode his Harley up for sturgis. while he was there he got into a conversation with a local that mentioned he had two buses that have been sitting on his property for years. he rode out and struck the deal and had them moved to a local friends place. being from Huntington beach area he knew Aggie but didnt have his # because he had recently gotten a new phone so he went ahead and listed them on CL and then made a few calls and got aggies # from a mutual friend. once he told aggie about them it was a done deal. I can tell you that they did go for slightly over the asking price but not much and he did have higher offers over the phone but chose to go with someone whom he had former business relations with. Greg is super stoked to have the bus and will be leaving it in OG paint despite he reputation for restoring everything and turning them into 23 windows . He knows better on this one.

I guessing this is the other 15 window that was part of the deal that came up in the classifieds yesterday evening? That is an exceptionally solid bus and fairly priced.

Agreed, but I'd still want a title. Great start for someone, wish I had the immediate funds, it would be mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

agreed
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

rarely do i see a bus i would really love to have. This is the kind i like.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

rarely do i see a bus i would really love to have. This is the kind i like.

i agree. its a bullet bus and its mostly solid and no real rust through. Us east coasters certainly don't find them that way over here too often.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Here's a '66 Kombi Sundial I was lucky enough to get locally.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Amazing lack of rust above where the bad rust ends all the way up to the top. Interior there?
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Amazing lack of rust above where the bad rust ends all the way up to the top. Interior there?

Interior seems complete but needs work.
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Is an original sundial/caravelle floor like this?
v.a.s.cleaning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Stephbong wrote:

think so my 66 sundial is 100% the same
11w sundial campers are rare most are panels!
66 sundial camper
66 karmann ghia cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Dammmmnn Tracey, you are grabbing up some good stuff this year !! You get that 15 yet ?? Summer & Fall are short here in the Northeast as you know.... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

v.a.s.cleaning wrote:
Stephbong wrote:

think so my 66 sundial is 100% the same
11w sundial campers are rare most are panels!

Thank you for the information!

Does someone here knows where I could buy this?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Anyone know who snagged the Atascadero stash? I had been chasing them for 20+ years. I heard they didn’t go cheap. From what info I was able to get from the sellers Mom there was a DC, ~56/57 SC and an oval bug plus misc. parts. After Mom died I talked to her Brother who said there were “issues”. He asked me what they were worth but wouldn’t left me look at them. The next time I was by they were all moved behind a fence and even harder to see. The last time I was by they were gone. Oh well!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Anyone know who snagged the Atascadero stash? I had been chasing them for 20+ years. I heard they didn’t go cheap. From what info I was able to get from the sellers Mom there was a DC, ~56/57 SC and an oval bug plus misc. parts. After Mom died I talked to her Brother who said there were “issues”. He asked me what they were worth but wouldn’t left me look at them. The next time I was by they were all moved behind a fence and even harder to see. The last time I was by they were gone. Oh well!

Yes, they ended up all over Central and Northern California.

A friend got the Oval and the Single Cab was for sale here on samba a couple weeks ago. Looks to have sold rather quickly.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Is this the bunch that was by where a newer road was built... that wasn't there before?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
cru62 wrote:
Is this the bunch that was by where a newer road was built... that wasn't there before?

It was ~15 years ago. I heard about them from Mixer driver pouring the slab for a house across a cul de sac from the place. When I first saw them all the VWs that were visible were the Oval and SC. I didn’t even know about the DC until 8 years ago from the Mom. And I only talked to her because they did some work on their driveway. Before, every time I drove by the front gate was locked. Then once I went by and the gate was relocated and they didn’t have the threatening warning signs at the gate. I figured “what the hell”, the worst they could do was shoot me and bury the body on their property. That’s when I met the Mom who was unbelievably nice and very cool. Still couldn’t look at the cars, though.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
...the Single Cab was for sale here on samba a couple weeks ago.

Pic?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 910, 911, 912 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 911 of 990

Jump to: