Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 953, 954, 955 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volks138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

1956 Hanover SC...It is now a driver. Still looking for a driver side fat base mirror arm, front slider window divider and a rear bumper.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

A ribbed truck bumper is a tall order but they're out there! Great score!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

looks like the one that was for sale a while back in mojave with the primerd nose?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
looks like the one that was for sale a while back in mojave with the primerd nose?

The surface rust on the driver side roof matches exactly. Looks like his lawyer got paid.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

western auto wrote:

I love the "Try to find one. YKWIM [you know what I mean]"

LOL what the hell is the point of that. Great deal though, even if the original $10k was paid. That's a badass singlecab!
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Found this '62 mouse grey 15 window last week while working. Made contact with the landowner , went back up this morning and dug it out of the ground and loaded it up. Last tagged in '72 , STL delivered bus...it has had a rough northern Missouri life.

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looks rough but still a cool find.

It looks like the bumpers might be pretty straight and nice?
The rear looks pretty good in the pics
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
Found this '62 mouse grey 15 window last week while working. Made contact with the landowner , went back up this morning and dug it out of the ground and loaded it up. Last tagged in '72 , STL delivered bus...it has had a rough northern Missouri life.

Good lord man! What would you possibly do with this? This isnt a base for a restoration is it? Please tell me its got parts value. If its meant to be restored, then I obviously have no idea about the splitty world. Which I dont, as a bay guy. Not meant to offend, just cant believe that thing has any value either way. Please enlighten me.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:

Very cool. Hammer and dolly and a few parts and you might be able to get that on the road. That's a cool find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Good lord man! What would you possibly do with this? This isnt a base for a restoration is it? Please tell me its got parts value. If its meant to be restored, then I obviously have no idea about the splitty world. Which I dont, as a bay guy. Not meant to offend, just cant believe that thing has any value either way. Please enlighten me.

In the past, it would be cut up no doubt. I see enough good metal that it's probably a decent candidate for a resto. I've seen worse get put back on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

If someone wants it nice there is not a single salvageable panel on there. It’s a total sheet metal replacement bus. Even most of the cross framing will have to go. If a guy can do it himself it’s worth doing since his labor doesn’t factor in. If you literally want a beater then the panels could be beaten and porta powered out to make it drivable.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I’ve seen a roof hurt worse than that get bumped/pushed out to where it was virtually undetectable. But it wasn’t rusty and some pressure could be put without anything tearing or crunchy sounds happening. How rusty is the roof and gutters? If you look at the belt line, and how well the deluxe trim lines up, it’s pretty promising. Bump out the roof, weld a new nose skin and inner nose parts onto it, and it will be looking way better.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looks like there’s only one route for that bus to get back on the road, just to make an Uber cool beater driver bus out of it.

If it made it I think it would look great in the end. But yeah it would have to be a case of time not money to get it there.

Good find non the less & would also have collected that up if I had storage space.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

i know i would be happy to see a thread on this one. Similar to burlyhammer's work.
it is a mouse gray 15 window.....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Of course it has value in either parts (bulkhead,steering box,steering wheel,bumpers,dash,etc) or yes someone could for sure rebuild it...will it be me..don't know... But sure it could be done. I found it while out on my route delivering some freight to a farm down the road. Asked the guy who the property owner was,got his # made contact and came back on my day off with a couple of dollars,truck,trailer w/ winch ,floor jacks,etc.
I am gonna see about pushing the roof out ,gutters are not bad.
No plans for now other than it's not rotting in that field anymore.
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice find! Thanks for sharing.
How do they say it? THIS SHIT WILL BUFF OUT!
Popcorn
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:

Of course it has value in either parts (bulkhead,steering box,steering wheel,bumpers,dash,etc) or yes someone could for sure rebuild it...will it be me..don't know... But sure it could be done. I found it while out on my route delivering some freight to a farm down the road. Asked the guy who the property owner was,got his # made contact and came back on my day off with a couple of dollars,truck,trailer w/ winch ,floor jacks,etc.

Since you posted that close-up photo, does the trim insert look grey to you in person?
Looks like it...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:

Since you posted that close-up photo, does the trim insert look grey to you in person?
Looks like it...

Yep, I does
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:

Looks like it...

Yep, I does

I've seen colored inserts totally turn grey like that due to sun and weather.
Pull an end out of the slot and see what color the edges and underside of the plastic looks like. I'm betting on red.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 953, 954, 955 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 954 of 990

Jump to: