Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 954, 955, 956 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Isn’t grey what you would expect on a mouse grey deluxe?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
If someone wants it nice there is not a single salvageable panel on there. It’s a total sheet metal replacement bus. Even most of the cross framing will have to go. If a guy can do it himself it’s worth doing since his labor doesn’t factor in. If you literally want a beater then the panels could be beaten and porta powered out to make it drivable.

Gee, I thought it looked quite nice, actually.
Everybody in the Porsche world worships Rod Emory. Rod has some mad skills at metal forming, fabrication and restoration. He got those skills from his grandpa and dad (Gary) and other metal bumpers and from VERY many hours of practice.
This car would be a good place to learn to metal finish.
Way too nice to cut up. If you want to save money on the resto, buy Brazil glass.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
d-rick wrote:
EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course it has value in either parts (bulkhead,steering box,steering wheel,bumpers,dash,etc) or yes someone could for sure rebuild it...will it be me..don't know... But sure it could be done. I found it while out on my route delivering some freight to a farm down the road. Asked the guy who the property owner was,got his # made contact and came back on my day off with a couple of dollars,truck,trailer w/ winch ,floor jacks,etc.
I am gonna see about pushing the roof out ,gutters are not bad.
No plans for now other than it's not rotting in that field anymore.

Since you posted that close-up photo, does the trim insert look grey to you in person?
Looks like it...

Yep, I does

I've seen colored inserts totally turn grey like that due to sun and weather.
Pull an end out of the slot and see what color the edges and underside of the plastic looks like. I'm betting on red.

I'll give it a look next time I'm off and out at my storage spot
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Isn’t grey what you would expect on a mouse grey deluxe?

I think '62s had red because they hadn't made Grey yet.

There was a big discussion about it a while back but I can't find the link again.
I know there is some talk here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174461
He said it's the darker red used on Titian Buses.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

We put red in this original paint MG deluxe, thought it looked great with a little color.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Somewhere floating in the gallery on this website is a vintage photo of a grey deluxe with red insert trim. It's on a beach with a dude in shorts and a little kid in a bathing suit. I failed to locate it....

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

It definitely pops better than the Grey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Saw what I think was a PGSG northbound on US52, between Cannon Falls and Minneapolis, under its own power. Looked good, for the 2 seconds I saw it!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Saw what I think was a PGSG northbound on US52, between Cannon Falls and Minneapolis, under its own power. Looked good, for the 2 seconds I saw it!

Hey, neighbor!
Let's hope their heater was working on this cool Saturday!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
d-rick wrote:
EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:

Of course it has value in either parts (bulkhead,steering box,steering wheel,bumpers,dash,etc) or yes someone could for sure rebuild it...will it be me..don't know... But sure it could be done. I found it while out on my route delivering some freight to a farm down the road. Asked the guy who the property owner was,got his # made contact and came back on my day off with a couple of dollars,truck,trailer w/ winch ,floor jacks,etc.

Since you posted that close-up photo, does the trim insert look grey to you in person?
Looks like it...

Yep, I does

Pull an end out of the slot and see what color the edges and underside of the plastic looks like. I'm betting on red.

Is there an M-code plate? What is the build date?
Big dog legs, outie vents.....interesting

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Hey, neighbor!
Let's hope their heater was working on this cool Saturday!

From the half second glimpse I had across the freeway, I saw a dude seemingly having a good time, not freezing, as I would have been, IF I were not in my H2O cooled/heated '87, easily keeping up with 70MPH traffic... Ya, I know, VW's aren't supposed to have a water cooled system.. Oh well... Mrs. Black was enjoying the trip lazily watching Netflix in the back as I continuously wondered at every strange new sound my waterboxer made ... Grateful to be HOME!!
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
Busted-bolt wrote:
10 kids , makes one wonder why there was not one that wanted that precious heirloom. Shocked Shocked Shocked

That was my first internal question. 9 kids remain, with a healthy amount of grandkids. One of the grandkids is actually one of those "Van Life" kids who travels the country in some sort of newer van. Surely you would think he would want to keep it.

I genuinely think the Grandmother/Widow simply figured that her kids and grandkids had plenty of time to lay claim to it and bring it back to life. Nobody did.

By no means was this one of those deals where the lady sold it for peanuts, she received a VERY generous offer which she accepted only after talking to the rest of her family. So her kids (who are all grown adults) and her grandkids (young adults) all had the opportunity to change her mind or step up to taking responsibility for it. She's very happy that someone local who is into old VW's will fix it and continue to take it on adventures and most importantly drive it.

What is the big deal with keeping the purchase price hush hush?? Just say it. Helps put the market in perspective.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
What is the big deal with keeping the purchase price hush hush?? Just say it. Helps put the market in perspective.

Institutionalized shamefulness. Either it's too low, and the buyer will get railed for "stealing" the bus from the family, or it's embarrassingly high, and the buyer will get shamed for paying so much for it.

It's a no win situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
swharris wrote:
Institutionalized shamefulness. Either it's too low, and the buyer will get railed for "stealing" the bus from the family, or it's embarrassingly high, and the buyer will get shamed for paying so much for it.

It's a no win situation.
It is all a matter of timing. You never pay too much, you just pay too soon. Conversely, super good deals are just yesteryear's pricing.

I have also found many people to be less than truthful on pricing, so you can't really trust what people say anyway.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
d-rick wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
d-rick wrote:
EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:

Looks like it...

Yep, I does

Is there an M-code plate? What is the build date?
Big dog legs, outie vents.....interesting

November 30 ,1961
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
d-rick wrote:
EverettB wrote:
d-rick wrote:

Looks like it...

Yep, I does

Yep it was red for sure

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the follow-up.
This adds some data to the fact that the early ones were red.
It looks like SWR too as opposed to the darker red used on later Titian Deluxe Buses and Barndoor Deluxes
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Not really a "find" per se, but for someone with a lot of time and money on their hands.. have at it

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volkswagen/samba/2476412.html
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Not really a "find" per se, but for someone with a lot of time and money on their hands.. have at it

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volkswagen/samba/2476412.html

A lot of money for sure.. Starting with $34,500 for some numbers to build a new bus off of.. Holy Shit!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

A lot of money for sure.. Starting with $34,500 for some numbers to build a new bus off of.. Holy Shit!

Belongs in the whines thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 954, 955, 956 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 955 of 990

Jump to: