Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 980, 981, 982 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

von_hansel wrote:
This bus was extracted yesterday from where it sat since 1999.

A keen eye will be able to tell that there is something uncommon that shows up on the mcode plate for this particular model.

Please discuss amongst yourselves Cool

Ok, so the only two things I notice are that the antenna is on the drivers side which is not usual and that the turn signal stalk end piece seems overly long. Maybe it is something to do with a special radio or a special turn indicator?? Just a wild guess. BTW was there ever a SWR (Short Wave Radio) option for busses back in the day? Maybe that was a secondary antenna location for an optional radio? BTW I'm a HAM radio tech. Like someone above said, almost certainly a Westfalia SO42 with the white steering wheel.

Last edited by swharris on Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Is that a tall roof for a dusty conditions air system? Might just be an optical delusion.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

White on White maybe?
I don’t get what you guys see to make it a Westy…?
Guess we’ll know some day…
I don’t see anything odd yet, but I may be blind!
I like the Turista sticker, I have three busses with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

House wrote:
White on White maybe?
I don’t get what you guys see to make it a Westy…?
Guess we’ll know some day…
I don’t see anything odd yet, but I may be blind!
I like the Turista sticker, I have three busses with them.

'74 when you could go to Mexico and not be at risk of being kidnapped and thrown in a box and held for ransom. Late '70s through the early '90s my dad and I and a group of hunting buddies would routinely head South of the boarder to go duck,dove,quail hunting. Campers stuffed with ammo and shot guns. We did declare everything, but it was no big deal as long as your paperwork had a nice crisp 5 or 10 dollar bill included. Oh, the good o'l days. Haha.

As far as I know, factory Westfalia campers(SO42/44) all came with white steering wheels. The most common color was L87 Pearl white in the SO42 era. I have two and they both have white wheels. Almost certain that Kombis (the bus most Westfalias were based on) almost always had a black wheel when not a camper. Standard Micros I think came with a white wheel. Both my trucks have black wheels and black vent locks. BTW anyone have a nice set of black vent latches?
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Is it a westy? White steering wheel but commercial looking color on the dash....

Okie Adam is correct.

swharris wrote:
The most common color was L87 Pearl white in the SO42 era.

swharris comment is what makes this bus unique.

Most are L87 Pearl White, however this one happens to have an uncommon westy paint code of 523703 which is L345 Light Grey.

I have never seen another light grey SO42 and trust me, I spent countless hours pouring over photos posted in the gallery looking for another and came up empty handed.

It has the euro lamps which we typically see on no port code SO42s. It also came with pillow wedges which were an accessory and a curtain rod like SO33s have that connects to the B pillar.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

What a great color it is too! Those wedge pillows are a cool find!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Can we get back on subject…😎

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Can we get back on subject…😎

How is this bus not on subject?

It was found resting on the side of a house and was not listed on Craigslist, Spacebook, Ebay, BAT, or the Samba. The PO is not in the scene. The bus was pulled on Sunday after sitting in the same spot for 24 years. A deal was made, money was exchanged, and now it has a new owner.

It was "hunted" as in "Today in Bus Hunting History".
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I was wondering if the driveway shot was the “as found” shot, nice score. It was getting quiet in here lately.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The bus Johnny posted definitely qualifies for this thread. Here are some pics of it "as found":

They are still out there to be hunted!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Von, met no disrespect, though it appeared conversation was getting off subject..not your find.
How did you come across it? Any story?
Thanks for sharing.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Is it a westy? White steering wheel but commercial looking color on the dash....

Okie Adam is correct.

What signifies it as Westy over Standard from the clue photos?

That interior is like new mostly.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Von, met no disrespect, though it appeared conversation was getting off subject..not your find.
How did you come across it? Any story?
Thanks for sharing.

It was spotted from the street on a drive by (barely) and then a price was negotiated and plans made to extract it. It is not mine but a friends that I helped assist (along with many others) in decoding what exactly it was.

The guy did mention that others had seen it and left notes/tried to buy it but for whatever reason it didn't happen until recently. The previous owner got it from a neighbor back in 1999 and parked it on the side of the house where it sat until last weekend.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What signifies it as Westy over Standard from the clue photos?

I think we were supposed to notice the Light Grey dash.
Still looks like Pearl White with bright ass white on the nose on my screen!
haha
Sweet find!
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

another awesome find
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

This is really cool. I spy a few things that warrent close up pics if possible. I had forgotten that there is a "wood" strip(of the formica fake wood varity) that trims out above the curtain rods and windows. My bus has been apart for so long I forgot all about that. Many "restored" busses leave those out. Also, that flooring is the original too along with the alum. ribbed strip bridging the door gap. Those are also almost always missing. Thankfully I have mine.

Any way to take some detailed close pics of the linoleum? It seems there were different patterns used in different years. Does anyone know?

Sorry for this becoming a SO42 nerdfest. Amazing find and obviously here in so. CA? Looks like so many southern CA neighborhoods I frequent.

Yep, they are still out there. Too bad it sat uncovered all those years Sad That roof...ooof.

Oh and don't forget that the popout window behind the cargo doors is not typical
factory (kombi-based) Westfalia SO42. Both mine have a solid window there. I'm seeing this as a solid color Euro delivery based on a microbus. Does the M-plate note that? Cool nerd stuff here Wink
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Dang, I thought that was a grey dash, but it looked a little like dirty Pearl White too.

I believe the wood/laminate strip Westfalia used along the D/S windows is the approximately 1 inch strip they cut from the wood floor at the back so it clears the heater tubes.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

swharris wrote:

von_hansel wrote:
This bus was extracted yesterday from where it sat since 1999.

A keen eye will be able to tell that there is something uncommon that shows up on the mcode plate for this particular model.

Please discuss amongst yourselves Cool

Ok, so the only two things I notice are that the antenna is on the drivers side which is not usual and that the turn signal stalk end piece seems overly long. Maybe it is something to do with a special radio or a special turn indicator?? Just a wild guess. BTW was there ever a SWR (Short Wave Radio) option for busses back in the day? Maybe that was a secondary antenna location for an optional radio? BTW I'm a HAM radio tech. Like someone above said, almost certainly a Westfalia SO42 with the white steering wheel.

Am digging on the SAN ONOFRE seasonal surf decals…reminiscent of my 53 ford ranch wagon…

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

swharris wrote:

Oh and don't forget that the popout window behind the cargo doors is not typical
factory (kombi-based) Westfalia SO42. Both mine have a solid window there. I'm seeing this as a solid color Euro delivery based on a microbus. Does the M-plate note that? Cool nerd stuff here Wink

it is a kombi, as it has channels for hardboard roof panels and not headliner grip strips, as a standard micro would have.

Most (if not all) euro delivery so42's had two popouts and four stationary glass. Odd to see this one with jalousie windows. Possibly added later? or ordered specifically?

the cab divider curtain is also very interesting, seldom seen on so42's. Is it possible to get a photo of how it mounts at the ends? two small screws like on earlier buses? or pop rivet like the front curtain rails?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
swharris wrote:

it is a kombi, as it has channels for hardboard roof panels and not headliner grip strips, as a standard micro would have.

Most (if not all) euro delivery so42's had two popouts and four stationary glass. Odd to see this one with jalousie windows. Possibly added later? or ordered specifically?

the cab divider curtain is also very interesting, seldom seen on so42's. Is it possible to get a photo of how it mounts at the ends? two small screws like on earlier buses? or pop rivet like the front curtain rails?

It was m-coded for 6 popouts like many Euro delivered SO42's as well as a steering lock and red tailights for export.

The front curtain rod is secured by two screws on each side and a single screw in the middle.

We believe the Jalousies were added either at Weidenbruck or by a dealer as they are done very well with all the standard parts.

Hopefully the owner will do a separate thread on the bus as its definitely a special SO42.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 980, 981, 982 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 981 of 990

Jump to: