Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 981, 982, 983 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
sled wrote:
swharris wrote:

Oh and don't forget that the popout window behind the cargo doors is not typical
factory (kombi-based) Westfalia SO42. Both mine have a solid window there. I'm seeing this as a solid color Euro delivery based on a microbus. Does the M-plate note that? Cool nerd stuff here Wink

it is a kombi, as it has channels for hardboard roof panels and not headliner grip strips, as a standard micro would have.

Most (if not all) euro delivery so42's had two popouts and four stationary glass. Odd to see this one with jalousie windows. Possibly added later? or ordered specifically?

the cab divider curtain is also very interesting, seldom seen on so42's. Is it possible to get a photo of how it mounts at the ends? two small screws like on earlier buses? or pop rivet like the front curtain rails?

It was m-coded for 6 popouts like many Euro delivered SO42's as well as a steering lock and red tailights for export.

The front curtain rod is secured by two screws on each side and a single screw in the middle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We believe the Jalousies were added either at Weidenbruck or by a dealer as they are done very well with all the standard parts.

Hopefully the owner will do a separate thread on the bus as its definitely a special SO42.

I know 025 is listed as 6 popouts but I've seen a handful of late westies with this code and only two popouts, my bus is the same. If its six popout it will have the threaded base plates welded to the pillars between the windows...

interesting this bus has the code for red tail lights where as mine doesn't, but mine has the code for chrome hubcaps (only seen on westfalia kombi's). Maybe being single-tone light grey they decided to stick with light grey hubcaps? My bus being two tone sea blue/blue white would surely look better with chrome caps.

cool bus!
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
it is a kombi, as it has channels for hardboard roof panels and not headliner grip strips, as a standard micro would have.

Most (if not all) euro delivery so42's had two popouts and four stationary glass. Odd to see this one with jalousie windows. Possibly added later? or ordered specifically?
'

Interesting. Always learning. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

An awesome find for me personally.

On May 1st 1993 my 23 window was stolen from me. Long story short the body shop that was supposed to do body and paint work on my bus closed and the owner disappeared. The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office in South Carolina didn’t do anything to help me try to recover my bus. For 30 years I did not give up hope. I bought weekly copies of penny savers and with the development of the internet I searched constantly for any buses that came up for sale. If I heard of even a rumor of a 23 on the east coast I went to check it out to see if it was mine. No luck. Then almost 30 years to the day it surfaced. I was able to recover it with no drama whatsoever. It is a little worse now but all the windows and sunroof is there the decklid apron and driver’s door is also present unfortunately the middle seat, lower part of rear seat and bumper are gone along with some of the NOS replacement metal along with the bulkhead with original M code plate is missing. But I have my bus back and I am very grateful and glad that the people that had the bus did not cause me any issues with recovery of my bus. I have records of the owner previous to me dating back to December of 1979. He named the bus Bobo so the name stays.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Shocked

Gotta know how you found it back, and what the "owners" said when you told them it wasn't their bus anymore.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The bus surfaced on here for sale.

Way back when I was using the bus as a daily driver my girlfriend at the time painted goofy and Pluto on the doors and there were various other ways to identify the bus. The “owner” almost did not seem surprised to find out it was stolen as it obviously did not have a title other than the one in my name. I am trying avoid any clues as to who had it because they were a victim as well in this whole story. So if the moderators would refrain from putting the old ad information on here it would help protect the innocent if the person who posted the ad wants to respond to this post and share their part of the story then that’s their story to tell. But i will say they were not ever born when the bus was stolen.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
On May 1st 1993 my 23 window was stolen from me... almost 30 years to the day it surfaced. I was able to recover it with no drama whatsoever.

Amazing! Congrats on the recovery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

If that’s not “Bus Hunting” in the truest sense of the term, I’m not sure what is.
Can you tell us how the other victims ended up with it? Any clues on who the scum bags were that stole it?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
The bus surfaced on here for sale.

Way back when I was using the bus as a daily driver my girlfriend at the time painted goofy and Pluto on the doors and there were various other ways to identify the bus. The “owner” almost did not seem surprised to find out it was stolen as it obviously did not have a title other than the one in my name. I am trying avoid any clues as to who had it because they were a victim as well in this whole story. So if the moderators would refrain from putting the old ad information on here it would help protect the innocent if the person who posted the ad wants to respond to this post and share their part of the story then that’s their story to tell. But i will say they were not ever born when the bus was stolen.

Certainly fair not to put them on blast for this. I had wondered if it showed up here, or if you had found it in a local classified paper or something.

Great story, and great to have your bus back after so long.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That’s wild, congrats on the recovery!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

was it in the same condition as it was when you last saw it? Looks like it was stripped out in preparation for body and paint work? Very cool to get that back after all these years!!
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

No definitely not in the same condition it was running and driving, in fact it was my daily driver when it was stolen. I am going to start an actual thread on this bus that tells the story. It is a long story from beginning to now.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I doubt the innocent victim is active on the forums. The bus was bought by said person in a package deal with a bay window off of marketplace. The 23 was not advertised on marketplace. I’m not sure if the seller on marketplace was even 100% aware of the bus being stolen. It was a lady selling her former husbands stuff off… stolen stuff haha. Surprise to everyone to my knowledge. Crazy situation, glad it all worked out between everyone. Cool bus
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Just to clear up what Graysvw posted, no the seller was most likely not aware of the legal status of the bus. Her husband was not the guilty party here either. I know the name of the person who stole my bus.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

This is a find from 2021. The bud has been completely gone through since and is now up for auction on bring a trailer with no reserve.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-bus-12/

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

great story !
congratulations
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
No definitely not in the same condition it was running and driving, in fact it was my daily driver when it was stolen. I am going to start an actual thread on this bus that tells the story. It is a long story from beginning to now.

Damn! thats an awesome story, so happy for you!
post a link in here when you start a thread so i dont miss it!

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Graysvws wrote:
This is a find from 2021. The bud has been completely gone through since and is now up for auction on bring a trailer with no reserve.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-bus-12/

I said it some where else but you did an unreal job on that beast! Absolute perfection! Cool

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
dmonger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Recently purchased this Super Solid 60’ Logo’d SC from an estate in the high desert of Wyoming. The Logos on the front doors are from Laramie County Community College. Sweet Complete Dual Treasure Chest Numbers Matching Truck with OG Motor and Transmission! Hope to have her running and driving soon!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Damn that thing is pretty dry. Nice score. Care to share the M-code plate with us?
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

very nice SC ! congrats
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 981, 982, 983 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 982 of 990

Jump to: