Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice On Transmission Leak
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

What is the best way to clean all of this? I'm thinking a trip to the local car wash using their high pressure hose. I'm sure it's a tranny leak but when I wiped my finger over the spot on the driveway, it was clear. Not black, not brown, not reddish ... clear.

It whines but that's normal. It does NOT pop out of gear and shifts smoothly. Before I send it in to the local shop for repair I thought I'd clean all of that off first. After it was driven a little over 500 miles for delivery, I drove it 174 miles the rest of July. Today I made a short 4 mile roundtrip to town. The cardboard I put under it had a small 1" circle with the same fluid two hours after I returned.

I would just clean it, drain it and add new tranny fluid but I think there is more going on there than just doing that. Bad seals? Was it filled with to much fluid in the past?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

there is just so much crud under there its tough to be sure. It could be from multiple spots. cleaning it up is a good start. You can find the leaks easier and also just not have an underside that looks like that.

The high pressure washer at the car wash will do nothing on that. I would just jack it up and get under there with a bunch of different sized scrapers and start scraping that off. Horrible job but that is the best way to do it I think. Once you get all of the big stuff off you can buy a can of engine junk spray it on and leave for 30 mins and then wash off the residual.
Who.Me?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
What is the best way to clean all of this? I'm thinking a trip to the local car wash using their high pressure hose. I'm sure it's a tranny leak but when I wiped my finger over the spot on the driveway, it was clear. Not black, not brown, not reddish ... clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If that crud is as beige as it looks, I'd wonder whether the clear (colourless?) liquid could be water.

That beige stuff looks like 'chocolate milk' water-in-oil emulsion.

At the very least, I'd clean the outside and drain the transmission to see if there's water in there with whatever oil is left. (Usual caveat about checking that the fill plugs aren't siezed before you undo the drain plugs.)

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
there is just so much crud under there its tough to be sure. It could be from multiple spots. cleaning it up is a good start. You can find the leaks easier and also just not have an underside that looks like that.

The high pressure washer at the car wash will do nothing on that. I would just jack it up and get under there with a bunch of different sized scrapers and start scraping that off. Horrible job but that is the best way to do it I think. Once you get all of the big stuff off you can buy a can of engine junk spray it on and leave for 30 mins and then wash off the residual.

I was afraid that might be the answer to clean it. Laughing It gets hot early here, so it might be a multiple morning job ... early morning. Either like this or clean, obvious it's leaking from somewhere. Thanks for your reply.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
If that crud is as beige as it looks, I'd wonder whether the clear (colourless?) liquid could be water. That beige stuff looks like 'chocolate milk' water-in-oil emulsion. At the very least, I'd clean the outside and drain the transmission to see if there's water in there with whatever oil is left. (Usual caveat about checking that the fill plugs aren't siezed before you undo the drain plugs.)

Thanks for the tip about checking the fill plugs before draining it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: