Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am eager to share information and images from our current restoration of Klaus. It is a velvet green tourist delivery camper and I am its second owner and driver.

Feel free to ask questions and to make suggestions. I look forward to sharing the good work that is going to be done here to help it last another 50 years.

We are located in Chicago and the project is being done nearby in Wisconsin and in Illinois.
1967 Dodge A-108 CampWagon

Last edited by volksbus on Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Hemmings was kind to say nice things about the project and to share some photos of the bus in a shop where we were told work would begin soon (July 2022 thru April 2023).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

is that original paint?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Hey, Crofty. It was when we bought it in the mid-90s but it is not in these photos. Before we knew what patina was, we re-shot it with a good match. Looking back (and I will share photos), it could have been patched and blended but it never occurred to us to do that.

It is a Midwest bus that never knew a garage until it met me. Owner No. 1 (Cornelius T. Fuller of Richmond, Ind.) drove it daily and for long trips throughout the U.S. and as far south as Guatemala three times.

Last edited by volksbus on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

A note about the original owners, who ordered a white van through a local Richmond, Indiana dealer and an intermediary company, and picked it up in West Germany in 1967. Upon seeing the green van that was brought out for him Mr. Fuller said, "I ordered a white van." He was told, no, this is your van.

We corresponded and met in the 1990s. I learned that among the van's trips across the U.S., that they had visited their son, Steven Fuller, at Yellowstone, where he worked on the staff and served as the winter keeper.

Steven's daughter Skye is shown in one of his photos that was used by Patagonia on a catalog. Later, as a young professional, Skye worked for Patagonia!

Last edited by volksbus on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

These are some "before" photos -- taken before the van was hauled out of state for a long and costly restoration. It looked from a distance but needed a lot of metal work underneath to repair the ravages of time and being a Midwestern bus. I will follow up with pics of the areas that needed work soon.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Continuing "before" photos from my time with the bus. Many or most photos I have of this bus come from the pre-digital time and I will scan some of them in the future. For now, I will share what I can find electronically.

It is funny how few photos I took of my own bus over the years! But we always stopped to take photos of other people's buses. Most of which were on film, using a real camera!

Last edited by volksbus on Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

volksbus wrote:
.....It looked from a distance but needed a lot of metal work underneath to repair the ravages of time and being a Midwestern bus.

First off, gorgeous bus. However; am I missing something? I only see bubbling on the passenger dogleg from the older pics. I wish my rockers were as nice as the ones in your before photos.

The before pictures make your bus look like one the driest midwest buses I have seen. Was it OG paint before restoration?

The bus looks great restored and I am not trying to knock you. I am just surprised it got restored from the before pics.

Also, those vintage photos of your bus and the letter are super neat.

Last edited by von_hansel on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
volksbus wrote:
.....It looked from a distance but needed a lot of metal work underneath to repair the ravages of time and being a Midwestern bus.

First off, gorgeous bus. However; am I missing something? I only see bubbling on the passenger dogleg from the older pics. I wish my rockers were as nice as the ones in your before photos.

Hey, Von Hansel! Stay tuned. Ever hear the term "blockermore"? This bus looked great from a block or more away. The compliments are appreciated. We did the best we could with the parts and money that were available in the 90s. But a lot of problems were covered up or patched over.

This bus never had a garage until 1996. So there was considerable rust underneath that we attempted to stop or slow down but that eventually took its toll and needed a competent and sensitive restoration.

Those photos are coming! I am just trying to share all for background. This is a long story -- like a three hour film. Not a reel!

Last edited by volksbus on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

volksbus wrote:
Ever hear the term "blockermore"? This bus looke great from a block or more away.!

Oh yes the old 50 foot rule. Looks great 50 feet away.....

Count me in as subscribed to your thread. I look forward to the whole story unfolding Very Happy
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

This is Mr. Cornelius T. Fuller, the original owner of my bus. He and his wife ordered it, paid for it with a check, and picked it up in West Germany. He was a teacher and a rock hound. He was not mechanically inclined therefore we have a complete service record from shops.

When I met him and spent time with him, he was retired, widowed but still driving and active. "I'm a pretty wild, old dude," he told my girlfriend Rachel.

We didn't stay in touch regularly and at some point I guessed that he was gone. He did indeed pass away and I've not found an obituary for him yet.

He was a very nice man and I am glad he took such good care of this bus over the 29 years he had it.

I am hoping to surpass his stewardship in two years!

These two photos are 1. Mr. Fuller, 2. The bus parked in front of his house in Richmond, Ind., where he parked regularly.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

About my dad -- Charlie Pierce -- and this bus

Dad has left us. He was a great guy, and I wish all of you had had the chance to meet him, share some bulls**t stories, drink a beer and have a little taste of whiskey. He never met a stranger and had the Appalachian Migrant (Kentucky to Indiana) gift of gab.

My sister Jill and I were very lucky to have two great parents. Neither of them did. Dad was supportive of anything and everything I wanted to do, including Scouts, building and operating haunted houses at the Knights of Columbus Hall, BMX racing, garage rock with friends and playing saxophone in the school bands.

Dad’s Labor at the Chrysler Plant (New Castle, Ind.) provided food, shelter, clothing, education and college educations for all of us, including my mom, Linda. Without debt. Yet, he didn’t save. He spent his paychecks as fast as he could get them. Pizza or cheeseburgers, beer, lottery tickets, groceries, gas, car parts or bike parts – and then back to normal (broke) and back to work. Dad worked in the forge and in the heat-treat. He mostly made rear ends for Ford trucks (a contract) and knuckles for vans. He also worked in inspection and in the cleanup crew. He retired after 35 years of service. #UAW #solidarity

He was revered around the Chrysler factory, taverns, diners and car dealerships for having a knack for finding and re-selling or raffling quantities of the must-have popular toys for Christmas in the 1980s, including Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and Teddy Ruxpin bears, among other hard to find gifts. This was one of many enterprises that amused him and provided a little extra cash for his family during the Reagan Recession years. Dad was always running something off on a tip board, which he called a "tip book."

His first love was Harley-Davidson motorcycles and motorcycle racing. He built, rode, traded and swapped them from the late 60s until 1981, when a reckless teen driver in a hurry crossed a double yellow line in f**king Greenville, Ohio. She t-boned him as he was turning left, didn’t stop and drug him down the road. Doctors tried for a year to save his leg using the new technology of microsurgery and skin grafts but were ultimately unsuccessful. He was an amputee and walked with a prosthetic leg for the rest of his life.
It did not slow him down. He and his best friend, Tom Renegar, of the Hog Shop on Indiana State Road 38, were partners in a wildly popular annual motorcycle swap meet staged in Richmond, Ind., during the late 1970s and early 1980s. He also became an advocate for motorist safety and promoted a “Lookout for Motorcycles” public service announcement video to major network TV affiliates in Indianapolis.

Not long afterward, we got into the “much safer” hobby of Volkswagens. We started noticing how buses were becoming more and more rare to see on the road. Around 1990, I picked up a 1977 Transporter and used it for a daily driver. All total, we fixed and drove two buses, one Vanagon and farted around with at least three other buses, including a bay window shorty that he put money down on, had the title for but never picked up. I still don’t understand what happened with that one.

Buses were hard to find in Indiana. And we never saw split-window buses. When we did start spotting them, it piqued our curiosity and we conspired to buy the next one we found and could afford.

Around 1996, he found a 1967 Velvet Green Campmobile that was showroom quality new on the inside and Midwest-beat on the outside. It also had an ominous bumper sticker that read: “Damn Right I’m MADD – My Daughter Was Killed by a Drunk Driver.” We began metal work on it with the parts that were available at the time. But then he found the exact same year and color of bus – one that was a better balance of wear and damage inside and out. We sold the first one and repaired what we could on the new find. Had patina been a thing at the time, we probably wouldn’t have painted it. But our auto-centric upbringing told us: Paint is thin, time to paint! The paint match was remarkable, and it held for decades. Dad did a lot of work to bring this bus into a safe, working condition that held for 23 years.

The bus might not be here if not for him finding it and fixing it. You and I certainly wouldn’t know each other if he hadn't found and worked on it.

So this is the bus I have enjoyed all of these years. It has been a big part of my life and it was a touchstone for me and dad. We always talked about the bus and shared all the details of keeping it on the road. We enjoyed all of the fun things we got to do with it and almost all of the people we met through it. I never had the heart to tell him that the recent long and costly restoration was completely bogus. He did get to visit it a few times even thought his health was declining rapidly.

Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia, congestive heart failure and diabetes all combined to wear him down and diminish his ability and interest in being active. He was in declining health through the pandemic and didn’t receive regular in-person care because of all of the restrictions. He and mom celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary online with friends and family – one highlight of his last, best days.

We continued to talk about motorcycles, buses, racehorses and music during our final visits. He continued to watch UK sports and followed with great interest the success his granddaughter Corina is having in high school volleyball. During our last two visits, I held his hand and we listened to good ole country music on WNMC out of Traverse City, Mich. Host Ben Hamper gave him a shoutout. We ate grits, drank coffee and hung out. I loved him, he loved me and I don’t feel that either of us had any regrets or unfinished business.

Dad outlived most of his friends and family members. He tried in vain to go to Vietnam during the war because most of his buddies were going but the government wouldn’t take him due to high blood pressure and flat feet. He carried that guilt throughout his life. I can tell you he didn’t have the fortitude to kill and survive there. (He once trapped a racoon that was destroying his hummingbird feeder but had named it and released it before his hunter friend arrived to take it away for dog training.) And, I can guarantee you I wouldn't be here had he gone to Vietnam.

For me, it was synchronicity that work continued on the day that dad passed. Unfortunately, the second restoration shop turned out to be bogus, too.

On Monday morning, Jan. 23, dad had breakfast, talked with the nurses and aides, said he was not in pain and didn’t need anything. He then settled in for a nap from which he didn’t wake. He went peacefully into the beyond without struggle or pain. He was alone at that moment, but he remains with all of us in the good that he wished for us and in the kindness and altruism he practiced in life as a Christian and a Democrat. He was hopeful about our future as a people.

He loved VW buses and thought they were fun -- even though as an amputee he couldn’t drive one. It would please him immensely to know that you kept on driving yours safely and shared your fun and passion with others.

He might say “keep on keepin’ on” or “tell 'em where you got it.”

Charles Jason Pierce
1943-2023

-- 30 --

Last edited by volksbus on Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Wonderful obituary. Sorry for your loss.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Here are "before" photos showing the ravages of time, snow, rain, salt and a Midwestern life without a garage. You can also see vestiges of how we patched and held things into place in 1996. After a great, new coat of paint, we were on the road and camping by the Summer of 1998. These pics are from late 2018 and early 2019 -- "before."

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

What’s the blue dot about? Confused
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

What’s the blue dot about? Confused

It's painter's tape over the original hole cut for electric hookup at campgrounds.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

A pic from the past: I love seeing the morning light coming through the curtains after a night of camping!

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Another "before" view, with my wife Beth (left) and friend Joanne:

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Here are some more "before" pics that show the extent of the damage caused by time, rust, salt and Midwestern bus life. You can also see some of the work we did to attempt to slow down its deterioration and to make it look decent in the 90s. VW people newer to the hobby are so lucky to have so many reproduction parts available today that weren't available previously!

All of these photos were taken in preparation for the first restoration project and were shared in advance.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Five years ago, I camped in my bus for the last time before I began disassembly for restoration. Stopped by the Mars Cheese Castle on the way.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: