Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker shaft assembly torque value - discrepancy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Rocker shaft assembly torque value - discrepancy Reply with quote

78 Westy, 2L FI. I have just re-sealed all of the push rod tubes (first time) and am re-assembling the rocker shaft assembly. What is the value for torquing the nuts down on the rocker shaft assembly?

There is a discrepancy between Tom Wilson's number in the "Rebuild ..." book - he says 18 ft-lbs (page 136). The yellow Type 2 Repair Manual (2nd ed) indicates 10 ft-lbs (diagram on page 15.2).

My gut feeling is to go with the Type 2 Repair manual, but thought I'd ask. This is quite a discrepancy in values, and I don't think splitting the difference would be wise (although tempting).

Any thoughts?

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fusion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get a lot of differing opinions on that question! I just did this and went with Wilson's torque value. The book seems to be highly recommended so figured I could trust it!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wilson book says to do 10 foot pounds (page 154) on those 7mm "rocker shaft nut".

My Bentley (green cover) says to torque the nuts to 10 ft pounds on dual carb and FI engines and single carb engines to 18 foot pounds.

I would go with 10 myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. Randy - I hadn't checked the green bently before, but you're right, 10 ft-lbs. At least it agrees with the yellow manual. Just for completeness, I just checked the Haynes manual - and it also says 10 ft-lbs. So - here's what I did - 12 ft-lbs (before coming back to check the posts here)!!

The conclusion, I have too many manuals. (Oops, didn't check the Muir book - but its upstairs in the bathroom, so maybe I'll do it later.)

Thanks.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
My Wilson book says to do 10 foot pounds (page 154) on those 7mm "rocker shaft nut".

I would go with 10 myself.

On second reading of your post, I went and checked my Wilson book again, and the table says 10 ft-lbs, as you pointed out. So, the discrepancy is within the Wilson book (the text on page 136 and the table on p.154).

Guess I'll crawl back under there and torque them right.

Meyer wrote:
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 is for upright engines. 10 is for type 4 engines. they have different size rocker studs, so different torque values.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: