Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine noise '84 vanagon what to look for when buying
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emptyspaces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Engine noise '84 vanagon what to look for when buying Reply with quote

Hello, I am going to look at an 84 Vanagon GL, the owner claims he put it up for the winter last year, and this year it isn't running on all 4 cylinders. He says he thinks its a stuck valve (I have delt with the the old 1600cc. aircooleds, but never with a wasserboxer) Is this possible? I haven't heard it for myself yet. What is a fair price? Where is the rust? Said he replaced the distributor last year because the hall effect switch kicked the bucket. Any info is informitive Very Happy

Regards,
Tim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck valve? probably not, most likely a bad lifter or no compression

I'm a risk taker, for the right price one could talk me into anything.
Maybe the load on the lifter is too much, some experimentation might be in order but be prepared to do a head or lifter work if you do decide to buy it

900 bucks if the vehicle has good title,
you get those who think they have an oil well in the back seat, give us a good idea what you are working with and we can be better in a ball park figure
btlbugtyp1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently bought my 82 aircooled brick with a bad lifter and leaky flywheel seal ...but it was $200 and very nice being from AZ ....ie no rust and all straight ....my only complaint is that the speedo isnt working now .....but it will soon thanks weinerwagen Applause
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's in the mail....

the rear main is easy too. pop the trans, do a clutch while you are there, once that flywheel is off you can do the seal

don't forget the 0 ring on the flywheel

biggest pain I found other than my lower back, was the axle bolts and nuts
PITA.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rust anywhere two panels are joined. The seam rust is a bigger problem than it looks. In my book, a bus with a three cylinder engine is one that could be bargained cheap, shops charge $60HR plus to say hello.
emptyspaces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: looked at it Reply with quote

took a look that the vanagon yesterday, very very clean, one small dime sized spot of surface rust on the outside of the passanger rear fender flair. Runs perfect, no knocking, no ticking, just sounds like a 4cylinder vw running on 2cylinders. Apparently the mechanic tested compression, and two cylinders (on one side) are pressureising the intake (ie, valves are not shutting). Underside of engine is spotless, no oil leak, no coolant leaks. Only forseeable problem besides the engine is that its due for tires, and the top or the windshield is cracked. asking $1500, said no less that $1000...I offered $750, he counteroffered $800......good deal?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
btlbugtyp1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for $hits ahd giggles you ought to try looseening the suspect valves so they have a little lash and see you get compression back ...it may just be an adjustment .....you may get lucky you never know Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btlbugtyp1 wrote:
just for $hits ahd giggles you ought to try looseening the suspect valves so they have a little lash and see you get compression back ...it may just be an adjustment .....you may get lucky you never know Razz

I was thinking the same thing, back off the load on those exhaust valves
see if compression returns

Repair manuals have 2 long turns down, but sometimes.....

I've seen 1/2 and that's where it will run at

seems odd but I bet the load is too tight
emptyspaces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by less load? backing off the valve adjustment? or less load as in less backpressure from the exhaust system. How likely is this the problem? And if it is a valve or lifter or something...how much $$ (also I am way out of touch with VW parts- I'm still in Rocky Mtn. Motor Works times) Where can I get what I need?

Thanks so much!
Regards,
Tim
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back off the load on the lifter,

turn if back a bit Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weinerwagen wrote:
biggest pain I found other than my lower back, was the axle bolts and nuts
PITA.

Axles are trival. What pain is there to removing some bolts, especially if you use an air ratchet??????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: