Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear bench seat belts. Any pictures
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: rear bench seat belts. Any pictures Reply with quote

Did a search and found some info but no pictures. Anyone have any pictures of the stock mounting locations for rear bench seat belts? How about anyones home brewed mounting locations/system? I am trying to put 3 WW lap belts on my 65's rear seat. (Not going to worry about the middle seat for now) Plan to do the hole thru the metal and back it up with washers method. Seams like the outer belts need to go into the wheel well which i am not terible thrilled with.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

her's a pic of a 67. The plastic plugs are where they go, and yes the others are in the fenderwell. The fender well ones in this pic are pretty rusty.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matthew,
you might want to check out any wrecking yard post-1967 buses in your area. The stock belt mounts are heavily reinforced just in front of the gas tank. We have cut out these areas of later buses to transplant in our pre-1964 buses.
Additionally the later buses have shoulder belt fittings for the two outer passengers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'd like to see some pics of the reinforcement also please.

EricandBarb, can you help ?

I've fitted 3 point belts to the front of my 64 but also want to do the back. There are 1/2" holes where a PO fitted simple lap belts just through the single skin but I want to get some reinforcement in there, seeing what the OG steel looks like on later buses would be a great help. Thanks to anyone who can help. Cheers !
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture and advice. Since my 65 is all done i do not really want to weld on it. What i decided to do was drill the appropriate holes behind the rear seat into the engine compartment. I then made up 3 backer plates to blt the seat belts into. These plates are 20" long with holes threaded for the seat belt bolts and will provide a pretty large surface area to back up the belts thru the metal.

I like the idea of welding in something from a bay window but at this point i need to stick with the bolt job and make it as secure as possible.

I also took a look at the middle seat but i think i will leave well enough alone and make the kids sit in the back.
chazwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say let a kid stand in the middle walk through and when you tap the breaks throw out your arm and slug then right in the middle of the chest. (or the really young ones get it in the neck) The harder you hit the breaks the harder you sling your arm. . Remember that? aaahhh... the sweet memories of childhood. My mom was the worst.. She could knock us silly. Then she would remember and yell at us to sit down. Then the lecture. ....Didn't matter. We still wanted to get in the isle so we could see. Go figure. How did we survive?? Seat belts are good.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="smitch"]Hi, I'd like to see some pics of the reinforcement also please.

EricandBarb, can you help ?
quote]

Hi Smitch,
Hopefully this will work!
Vw definitely went to alot of trouble reinforcing those mounting points. Probably found that the rear panel by itself was not strong enough.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=267453
smitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW Shocked that is not what I expected, extensive ironmongery, thanks ericandbarb.

Has anyone in the UK got through an MOT with DIY seat belt reinforcement in the back of a split ?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitch wrote:
WoW Shocked that is not what I expected, extensive ironmongery, thanks ericandbarb.

Has anyone in the UK got through an MOT with DIY seat belt reinforcement in the back of a split ?

Its not what i would call extensive ironmongery, usually on the back side of the panelis a plate about 3" by 2" about 3mm thick, this usually has a captive nut welded to it and thsi plate is spot welded to the panel in 4 places.

Just drill your hole as you are going to and on the back side of the panel put atleast a 2 by 3" 3mm metal plate, a nut and bolt would just rip through the plain panel in a crash.

I have added many seatbelts to now Uk buses and passed MOTs, You may need to check with a "good" mot tester to see whst the book says is allowed. I know lap belts are not a pass in the front seats.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krusher, take a look at the pic link ericandbarb posted. The reinforcement plate isn't just a flat plate to back up the seat belt nuts it bolts diagonally down onto the fuel tank shelf and there is another strap that goes horizontally back under the fuel tank. I was expecting as you describe a 3" sq or so flate plate but as I said the OG mod was a good bit more extensive. Thanks for your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: