Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Adjusting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delay71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Valve Adjusting Reply with quote

My bus is a 75 with FI, and a 2000 CC engine. Now, I was just reading a book on valve adjusting. Do I need to adjust every 3000K?

Also, what is the best way for engine longevity-----
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust every 3,000 miles minimum until you can sense that the adjustments are staying pretty stable. The factory allowed 6,000 mile intervals. Adjust any time you have had a particularly hot hard freeway run, until again you sense that everything is staying put. If the clearances close up between adjustments, you may have seat recession or stretching valves. If they open up dramatically and keep doing so, you may have a cam lobe or lifter going flat.
Sorry you asked yet?
You are sure that you have solid lifters, right? Hydraulics should be centered so you can spot trends as well. The hydraulics should be checked every 15,000 miles if all is well. See above for instances whewre you might want to double-check.
Colin
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjusting Reply with quote

Delay71 wrote:

Also, what is the best way for engine longevity-----

Keep the oil clean and use a Mann or Mahle oil filter, as well as the above mentioned vale adjustments. Drive it often, too.

Good luck and welcome to the bay forum.
Delay71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHHHH~~~

I am new to the VW world and do not know what kind of lifters that I have. Honestly, I bought a bus for some fun and a way to bring the family together but I am not sure where to start.

Are the valves easy to adjust? Is there something out there that is step by step dummy proof?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delay71 wrote:

I am not sure where to start.
Are the valves easy to adjust? Is there something out there that is step by step dummy proof?

Procure manuals. Read them. Change oil and all filters.
Bring family out to bus. Tell them that even the hateful moments in a VW bus are ten times better than drooling at the DVD screen in an air-conditioned Excursion.
Colin
(family bonding is blowing up a CV joint on the freeway, we had two members here in the last week who have enjoyed precisely such an adventure)
Delay71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure I want that type of bonding just yet. I am still learning and trying to gain confidence.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delay71 wrote:
I am not so sure I want that type of bonding just yet. I am still learning and trying to gain confidence.

Then maintain it nicely and it will be one of the very most reliable cars you have ever owned. I am at 506,000 miles with many original parts never looked at.
Colin
Delay71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I can only hope to get that kind of milage out of mine. I took it to a local shop to get a 100% overview of the shape of it.

Hopefully it will come back with some high marks.........The only thing I am worried about is the general maintenance of the bus...
lastubbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delay71 wrote:
The only thing I am worried about is the general maintenance of the bus...

That makes 2 of us!

I try to put in 1 hr of reading the forums each day and I learn about 5 new things minimum. Keep it locked to the forums, it has been a great start for me.
/|__|__|\
| .\ @ /. |
| 0 \ / 0 |
that's one sick bus!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deschutestrout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum, yes. Great place to learn...read manuals, learn the basic maint. stuff 1st...changing oil, adjusting valves, adj points, CHANGING FUEL LINES!, vacuum lines, etc. Buy the Bentley and the Muir books...learn to love your bus...they take a fair amount of tinkering (at least checking to see if something needs tinkered with Confused ), but give 'em love and they'll run, run, run! Have fun.
'78 Westy "'Ole Red...The Happy Camper"
'78 Westy "The Big Turd"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Blotto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to learn - be like me - I have this forum selected as my home page - everytime I go online I have instant info to learn from (yes I am a looser Laughing ).

SEE THE UGLY BEAST BEFORE!!! www.frappr.com/sambabaywindowforum/photo/380133

AND AFTER http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/285472.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agropic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent tool:

www.ratwell.com

Good Luck !!
1970 Standard Beetle
1974 Super Beetle (Sold)
1974 Standard Beetle (Sun Bug)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Blotto wrote:
I have this forum selected as my home page - everytime I go online I have instant info to learn from (yes I am a looser Laughing ).

HAHAHAHA. I thought I was the only one. I promised myself that it was "temoprary" until the bus is running.
Hatchet Face
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

(family bonding is blowing up a CV joint on the freeway, we had two members here in the last week who have enjoyed precisely such an adventure)

In the spirit of the 3 hippie dudes in a green bus, if this ever happens, be sure you have some tunes with you. Best time for tunes is when you are broken down on the side of the freeway. (Now where's the closest Best Buy?)
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really though there are just a few things that your bus needs on a regular basis to keep it happy.

1) valve adjustments every 3K miles. 1 wrench and 1 feeler gauge. Less often if you have hydaulic lifters.
2) oil change every 3K miles if you are a type 1, every 5 or 6K miles with filter if you are a type 4. Do your oil bath air filter at the same time if you have it.
3) points adjustments every 3K if you have them. buy a dwell meter.
4) timing check after dinking with the points. buy a timing light. mark your timing marks.
5) lubrication (including the sliding door rollers and doors) for the front end
6) vacuum leak inspection

All of that stuff is easy, fun and relaxing to do in your driveway. After doing it a couple of times, you will find it time very well spent.

It used to be that every shop knew had to do these things correctly and for cheap. Now there are few shops that do them and fewer that do them correctly. The Bentley manual and the Muir book will get you through them easily and efficiently. It is a pleasure in life and allows you to bus bond.

I also do the retired guy down the street "74 Sunbug" since he has a frozen shoulder and he likes to chat about VWs while I do it. I told him that we would re-pack those CV joints later this spring. Dancing

Life is short. Enjoy the ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: