Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new break downs or traumatic occurances to report, just a Syncro that keeps on going. It's been a pleasure to drive, I've had a couple of opportunties take it on both forest service roads and abandoned logging roads. It did a great job even in the water holes and creek crossings.

I made a run to the local Pull-A-Part today. I picked up a set of Girling four piston calipers from a Jag XJS http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459573 and a spare tire carrier from a '94 Pathfinder, all for $36. Can't get to work on those just yet, but might as well buy them when I can.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, another year of Syncro bliss! I did a few maintenance things though. A new steering rack with tie rods, front brake rebuild, new rear heater core, exchanged "J" pipe and muffler with a good used one. Just stuff to keep it nice. The exhaust work seemed to cure the rich running condition I had some time back. The "J" pipe was rusted around the donut gasket and I guess was sucking in enough fresh air to throw off the O2 sensor.

Now, for exciting news, I found off the shelf center caps for the 16X7 Audi Sport wheels! I had routered the centers myself just large enough to clear the dust caps on my 2WD at one time. They're about 65-66mm I guess. I've looked all over for suitable caps with not much luck.

Last week, I was taking the plastic to the recycle center and noticed a similar size of the Gain cap to the center hole. Bam! It snapped on and it had been in my recycle baskets for years! I quikly grabbed some more from the bins and I had a whole set without having to do more laundry!

Next job is to tint my windows. I'm shopping around for quality film still. I bought new seals from VC and have read up on how to take the sliders.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I like the silver over the green! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, it's 3:30 EST and I'm reading over A/C articles...... I've just completed flushing my A/C lines, expansion valve and dryer removed, with about a gallon of methanol. The usuall green/brown/gritty crap came out.

I had already repaired the broken plastic evaporator housing so it was ready to install. While the housing was on the bench, I didn't take the black cover off to check for crud on the fins, kicking myself a little. I did take the opportunity to install the 4" speakers from WalMart mentioned in another thread.

I installed a new expansion valve and new dryer using seals from a set bought at NAPA. Since everything was going smoothly, I thought I would drain the oil out of the compressor..... oil, what oil? Nothing came out of the drain plug. I could see wobbly parts moving around inside, but it looked very dry. While turning the compessor by hand, it feels very "graunchy" Sad

This is where it brings me to the middle of the night. I probably need a compressor. My familys history with this Syncro goes to about 1996. I'm certain the A/C never worked and was always sealed up, no open fittings. The Syncro is a early '86 with a Sanden SD510 compressor. I was looking to see if there were differences in '86 up compressors or where to get a replacement.

In the meantime, I'll hope someone responds with the majic answer or perhaps I' ll check with some local suppliers, NAPA etc. I've put the groundwork in with other new components, might as well get a proper pump, maybe a more effecient one?
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, A/C is still in limbo as far as completion goes. The Syncro continues to go and go. I've noticed some wetness around one of the external head gaskets, perhaps some Subaru water conditioner will extend it some more...again. Also, the clutch master seems to be weeping, better move that to the top of the list!

However, those things didn't stop of from a family outing. I've been wanting to take the kids on Parsons Branch Rd. in the Great Smoky Mtn. NP. It exits Cades Cove, the parks MOST visited place so getting to it can be frustrating. Even on the day, we had to wait for along time as peepers stopped in the one lane road to look over head at to small bears in a tree.

Parsons Branch is a one way, narrow, 4WD recommended gravel road connecting Caded Cove to US Hwy 129. It's possibly the only car accesible area that allows you to see what the park really looks like. The drive back to Maryville,TN on 129, AKA, The Dragon is icing on the cake. On 129 there are several vendors snapping pictures of travelers and they later post the pics on their web sites. Some day I'll buy one, but not till the Syncro is loaded down with kayaks and bikes.

buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting a seat swivel, but parts Westies have been in short supply. Somewhere I read of this seat mod, not sure where so I just tried it.

Using a air powered cut off wheel, it took about ten minutes including using files to clean up the cuts. I removed about 3/4" of seat rail so the seat back would clear the dash. I have the dash shelf so I needed more space, a stock dash may not need as much material needed.The seat adjuster still works as designed

buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent project was to put in the center console from a '99-'04 Honda Odyssey. They come in grey or tan..... mine was tan so a trip to the rattle can rack changed it to black, matches the dash now.

Very strait forward install, originally mounted on studs, I through bolted with 5/16" bolts/nyloc nuts. Color change was easy, but I don't think will hold up over time.

It bolts to the right seat pod. The height is about right for Vanagon seats, slides back for good placement for future jump seats and folds out of the way for easy passage. The table still works well with passenger seat reversed. Looks like it may interfear with Westy swivel seats though.

Oh, and it cost $4 at Pull-A-Part!

kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty cool, I have the same seat mod, I'll watch for an odyssey console.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need monthly, not yearly, updates Laughing
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... the good times had to come to an end..... Fortunately not in a spectacular way though. Sometime back one of my head gaskets began pissing a stream of coolant so I parked the Syncro.

I revisted all my thoughts of a 2.5 Subaru, TDi or AEB/AWP conversion. So overwhelmed by the ease and/or complexity of each, I decided to run slot cars instead for awhile Smile

Last week, while talking to a friend, he tells me he's totaled his '99 Passat 1.8T when someone t boned him. The car can still be driven and had on the cheap because he's excited to see the engine go in a bus.

Now I have lots of hard decisions to make. I've re-reread all the 1.8T threads, PM'd a few contributors and I'm getting close to making a decision. I really like the idea of extra HP, maybe a couple more MPG's but doing my own wiring is a little daunting. Not too worried about the fabrication, I've had prior expereince.

Now, what to do...... ?
Volkska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
.... the good times had to come to an end..... Fortunately not in a spectacular way though. Sometime back one of my head gaskets began pissing a stream of coolant so I parked the Syncro.

I revisted all my thoughts of a 2.5 Subaru, TDi or AEB/AWP conversion. So overwhelmed by the ease and/or complexity of each, I decided to run slot cars instead for awhile Smile

Last week, while talking to a friend, he tells me he's totaled his '99 Passat 1.8T when someone t boned him. The car can still be driven and had on the cheap because he's excited to see the engine go in a bus.

Now I have lots of hard decisions to make. I've re-reread all the 1.8T threads, PM'd a few contributors and I'm getting close to making a decision. I really like the idea of extra HP, maybe a couple more MPG's but doing my own wiring is a little daunting. Not too worried about the fabrication, I've had prior expereince.

Now, what to do...... ?

There isn't anyone producing wiring harnesses for it? Or are they just asking too much $$? The 1.8T seems to be on the rise of popularity, I've never been crazy about the motors myself, but if you have one, go for it!
1986 Honda Elitee 150 awaiting a title
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy access to a complete donor 1.8t? That's a no brainer

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2666114

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the process of building a wiring harness for my AWP 1.8t swap and could probably answer some questions if you get stuck.

however, it sounds like the engine you are getting will be an AEB which will be a little different (though simpler).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AEB 1.8T wiring is simpler than a Subie for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the AEB 1.8T wiring is simpler than a Subie for sure.

That's some great news. Thanks for the kind words, still some soul searching to do and a couple more PM's to send out.

Does anyone have any concernes about turbo heat and the plastic Syncro gas tank mounted over the transmission? I know both are insulated, but curious still.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Syncro Reply with quote

Look what I got running today. It's an early '98 Passat, I suppose with an AEB, right? With a hot battery, it started immediately after sitting three years. After cycling the key off and on a few times to build oil pressure, I let it run till it got to operating temperature.

So, after completing a 1.9 rebuild, I guess it's time to strip the Passat.

buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Syncro Reply with quote

I'm thinking about using a Mexican bell housing instead of adapter plate. Has anyone gone this route? Will I need to "rig" the slave cylinder, or can Weddle do that? I think I prefer 15* over the Diesel 50*, fewer parts to buy and fabricate?

Thoughts,advice,speculation

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000287/1000915
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Syncro Reply with quote

Does the mexican bellhousing require a unique flywheel and or clutch?

I went KEP and it's as easy as bolting it up and moving on to the next part..

there are some good 1.8T and some AEB info here in the vanagon forum
if you have any questions feel free to PM, I've been running a AEB for ~3yrs and a few multi thousand mile road trips..

it's a great and fairly easy DIY with very few gotcha's

the AEB engine harness removes quite easily compared to other swaps, I've even done it in my office clothes at the U-pull.

best luck, I'll be watching..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Syncro Reply with quote

The Passat is at my house, it seems to be playing games with me though. After sitting for years, it started immediately. I let it sit for six months more and it still started immediately. I drive it the three miles to my house, wash it and it fails to turn over.

Google brings me to the conclusion that the CCM is causing trouble. I uncover it to find it's been sitting in water for countless months. After taking it apart, I discover several burnt connectors. I soldered repairs and patches, but no go. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a CCM now.

Does it have to be the conversion? I wonder if there's a work around till I get to disassembly stage? I just want the starter to turn, I suspect the ignition would be hot since the fuel pump runs.

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My project Syncro Reply with quote

Have you attempted to jumper the starter with the ignition key in the run position?

That CCM is cooked! The CCM is not necessary in your conversion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: