Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8" wide alloys
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiartonallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: 8" wide alloys Reply with quote

Turns out the MB S320 wheels I purchased on eBay are 16* 8" CT35 and not 16*7.5 as I though.

Has anyone had experience fitting such wide rims on a Westfaia. What hardware is required or are these wheels simly too wide?

Ian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 18x8s on my Bus. They have a 32mm ET and fit with no spacers. I did have to nick the ends of the upper control arms a bit though. Depending on which tire you choose, I would venture to say that they should work on your Westy with somewhere between a 5 and 10mm spacer.

A 225/55/16 has an average section width of 9" (outer sidewall to outer sidewall). This is almost exactly the same width of your wheels (outer lip to outer lip). Pull a front wheel and install one of the Mercedes wheels. Then place a straight edge straight up from the outside edge of the inner wheel lip. This will tell you how much of a spacer you will need for the tire to clear the upper control arm. Of course, if you want wider tires, you'll have to take this into account. It's also a good idea to look up the actual section width of the tire that you plan on running to make sure that you are comparing apple to apples.

Another plan is to install the tires that you want onto the Mercedes wheels and then install the wheels onto the Bus using common fender washers (as spacers) and long lugs. Add washers until you have the correct clearance to the control arm. Then remove the wheel and washers and measure the thickness of the stack of washers. This is how thick of a spacer you will need. Don't drive the bus with the washers installed, it's not safe. Just use them for measurement purposes.

I have less than 1/16" between the upper control arm and the wheel rim. These wheels have been on the Bus for over 3 years now with no clearance problems at all. In order to keep the tires under the fender lips, try to keep the clearance from the tire to the upper control arm down to no more than 1/8".

8" wheels on a Vanagon is a tight fit but with the right measurments, it can be done.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18x8 has a better chance of fitting than 16x8 as the front end parts get further in the higher up you go.

I am getting close to trial fitting a set of S500 16x7.5 wheels. They have 225/60-16 tires on at the moment which look awfully meaty to me. I think I need a narrower tire. But can not quite decide what, exactly, yet.

I am only using the 7.5s as they were a gift. Otherwise I would be shootting for 7 or maybe 6.5.

*BUT* I am told they should fit with a small front spacer. Later that spacer will be the rotor for my big brakes I am working on.

We'll see...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed 16 x 7.5 Borbet wheels (at 19lbs each) with 205/60s. Gowesty recommends 215s, but I thought that might look too balloon-like. No clearance issues with a 12mm spacer. They revolve 785 per mile, while the stock tires are 809. The 215s revolve 771.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand and model 205/60s? I need for a Westy so the load index is important to me.

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Bridgestone Potenza G009. Rated at 1389 lbs at 44lbs of pressure. Nice looking tires. Wear is at 460 I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load Index not high enough for a Westy.....92H

I am strongly considering the VancoContact 2 in a 215/60-16 99H. I just have to find pricing....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: