Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing inner circlip from rear wheel bearing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Removing inner circlip from rear wheel bearing Reply with quote

78 Westy, 2L, FI. Trying to repack rear wheel bearings and am having trouble removing the inner circlip. No, I don't have the correct tool. Tried needle nose pliers, and can compress the spring, but not twist, pull, or pry it out. Any suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just to note - another discrepancy in the Bently manual. Fig 10-12 (p.61) says there's two circlips, one at either end of the housing. However, figure 10-10 (p.60) only shows an inner one in the diagram (but lists 2), which is the way it is on my vehicle. I suppose Fig 10-12 could apply to '68-'70, however Fig 10-9 only shows one circlip (inner) although it also says there's 2.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap ring pliers. Any hardware store carries them. Get a good sturdy set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, theyre not that much.
thevanillaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloans265 wrote:
Snap ring pliers. Any hardware store carries them. Get a good sturdy set.

In fact, any place that carries any sort of tools will have them - especially any auto parts store. For something like this, that unless you come across those often, the cheap set will do fine because for as little as you'll use them, if they ever do break you'll know where to get them and will have spent no more than $8 on a pair. Always nice to have laying around though, what about when you have to do an emergency engine pull and pull off a piston? You'll be wanting the pair of these pliers then, for sure.

Stored for 4 1/2 years and soon to be resurrected..
'67 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay!! I give up! Laughing Embarassed Are the three tip interchangeable type ones sturdy enough? Or should I go for the really heavy duty "channel-lok" ones?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_det...earch=true

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well hang on now, the bigass straight jaw convertible snapring pliers are not universally available. Most of the standard retail outlets do not have them. Look in the yellow pages under tool and you will find tool vendors that cater to industry and the trades. This is where I always shop for tools. The counter people are skilled and knowledgeable, the b/s gimmick crap multitools are nowhere to be found, and you dont have to walk around for fifteen minutes to find the tool section. Pay up for the quality tools and be done with it once.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
Look in the yellow pages under tool and you will find tool vendors that cater to industry and the trades. This is where I always shop for tools.

I usually go to K&D Pratt here in Dartmouth. Its where I got my Loctite 565 for my push rod tubes, and a 15/16 drag link socket. On the other hand, its fun to look around Princess Auto and see all the stuff they have. Its where I got my 46mm socket and 3/4 drive t-bar that I removed the axle nut with (along with an 8 ft long cast iron pipe for a cheater bar). They do have some unusual and surplus stuff.

I'll go with quality.

Meyer wrote:
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, Princess Auto is a three ring circus. when I do go there I am embarrassed as hell to be in there. Their tools are false economy. K&D sound like the ticket, you should also have an Acklands Grainger, Greenlee and Brafasco among others to shop at, you think Princess Auto is fun try shopping in one of those and see all the specialty industry tools not available at the retail level and let the ideas fly.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find that needle nose pliers work good as long as i grind the tip a little- CAREFULLY... works better than junky snapring pliers. if you do get the real thing, avoid the type with the stamped steel/riveted pivot design. you want ones with arms that are forged, not stamped to avoid twisting. I have recently taken a liking to Mac/Proto- same company. their lockring/tranny pliers were made better than snap-on's, and at half the price.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
i find that needle nose pliers work good as long as i grind the tip a little- CAREFULLY...

good call. get a pair of very large needle nose pliers, like 10" or so, crappy tire for about 8 bucks, then grind the tip. you want the tip to be conical in shape, a slight bit larger at the very tip, so there is an undercut that the ring will hang up on.

also, as for the bentley errata, there is one circlip on 71-on, two earlier. once the rear hub was compound (not part of the drum) the 2nd circlip was redundant and left out.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i grind my plier tips i leave some of the teeth intact. and yes the larger the pliers the better. i have nothing against the real tool, but only if its made well...
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
i find that needle nose pliers work good as long as i grind the tip a little- CAREFULLY... works better than junky snapring pliers.

And the winner is: NOT the one on the right. Bought the snap ring pliers on the right - not the cheapest or the most expensive, but they didn't work after several attempts. I took my 8" needle nose pliers, spent about 30 seconds filing a little notch on each tip about 2 or 3 mm from the end, and they worked perfectly the first time!

Getting the ball bearing and spacer out went fine, so I just want to make sure that the roller bearing in the picture is the one that gets destroyed if you try to remove it.

Meyer wrote:
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it out.

Snapring pliers come in many different sizes, and tip angles, these are the design I have had the most success with. Guessing by your picture I would say the bits were too small to grip the snapring holes. For a snapring that large you want to get the biggest size you can, the ones I use for that snapring are about 10-12" overall length and fit tightly in the holes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: