Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: 40 hp Reply with quote

whats a good way to "hot rod" a 40 hp engine? somthing I can drive 1k miles without any issues.

okrasa? judson? 010 dist? ported (stock) heads? sump?

I prefer somthing that looks stock. no headers.

this is for a 60 vw bus with straight axle (no reduction box)

and what gears works the best?

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked about performance 40HP many times here - Best way to build up a solid 40HP, in my opinion and experience - get a block thats been reworked for cam bearings and has case savers. Get a set of big bore 83mm pistons/cylinders (you likely have to clearance the block some to clear the piston skirts if you get a recent Mahle-brand big bore kit) Then get a set of 1965-only heads with the square boss (you can sometimes find Mexican heads that are similar, they are good heads, but they lack the groove for the copper sealing ring that stale air motors are supposed to use as a secondary combustion chamber seal) If it's not an engine that had those heads on it before, you'll need longer uppper cylinder head studs because that style head is beefier. Get a later 40HP larger size intake manifold that matches those later heads with the 34mm intake ports. This is an exact description of the motor I have in my 62 bug right now, and I trust it for long road trips no problem. (I have a Bocar 30PICT-1 carb on it, stock ERNST muffler)

For more on what I just said and to read other people's input on this subject, check out these previous topics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130453

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123839

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124701

As for gearing on your bus, that's out of my experience so I don't know what to recommend there.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the engine in one of my customer's early 60's Bus.

It's got vintage dual carbs, a blue coil and one of my 010 distributors.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

His friend was impressed with the improvement that he also bought a Bosch 010 for is Beetle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I've talked about performance 40HP many times here - Best way to build up a solid 40HP, in my opinion and experience - get a block thats been reworked for cam bearings and has case savers. Get a set of big bore 83mm pistons/cylinders (you likely have to clearance the block some to clear the piston skirts if you get a recent Mahle-brand big bore kit) Then get a set of 1965-only heads with the square boss (you can sometimes find Mexican heads that are similar, they are good heads, but they lack the groove for the copper sealing ring that stale air motors are supposed to use as a secondary combustion chamber seal) If it's not an engine that had those heads on it before, you'll need longer uppper cylinder head studs because that style head is beefier. Get a later 40HP larger size intake manifold that matches those later heads with the 34mm intake ports. This is an exact description of the motor I have in my 62 bug right now, and I trust it for long road trips no problem. (I have a Bocar 30PICT-1 carb on it, stock ERNST muffler)

For more on what I just said and to read other people's input on this subject, check out these previous topics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130453

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123839

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124701

As for gearing on your bus, that's out of my experience so I don't know what to recommend there.

-Andy
thanks for the input, will check those links out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Here's the engine in one of my customer's early 60's Bus.

It's got vintage dual carbs, a blue coil and one of my 010 distributors.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

His friend was impressed with the improvement that he also bought a Bosch 010 for is Beetle.
looks very nice, what carbs are they? solexs?
didnt 60 busses come with stale air heaterboxxes?

vwbrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Guys stroke it using a 1600 crank and spacing the clys. Used with the 83mm big bore gives you almost 1500cc . later Mark Dearing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a longer stroke crank and space the cylinders, you'll have to deal with an engine that's 10mm wider. Then, the intake manifold won't fit. Not a problem if you use dual carbs- however since dual carbs that fit the 40HP heads are very hard to come up with, it seems more hassle than its worth. He'd have to use a later exhaust too. I'd just as soon build a Single Port motor with its larger valves and much more easly to find performance parts. (I even bought a set of NOS 1500 pistons/cylinders in case I decided to upgrade myself at some point)

I think the engine I described, the 1385 I have in my 62, is about as wild as I'd want to get with a 40HP. It's as strong as I think you can expect from such an engine, and hopefully it'll last a long time (I did balance it down pretty close to a gram on the rods and pistons) and it looks and sounds stock, and is reliable. That's what the original poster said he wanted.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a stock 1600 single port and save the 40hp for restoring
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggnuttz wrote:
Why not get a stock 1600 single port and save the 40hp for restoring

Now..you are talking! Wink

But then again...there something about hot-rodding a lawnmower motor.

A 40Hp case with 1500/1600 parts in it will be something. On steroids.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: