Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fog light
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: fog light Reply with quote

so i got a fog light today for the bus and i was wondering about how i was going to wire it up? it has two wires, i know one is the ground, but where do i run the other wire too? it's 12v and it has a halogen light bulb inside, and it's a Hella and was made in Mexico. any suggestions would be great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many states require fog lamps to only work when the low beam headlights are on. You might check and see if MA is one of them. If so, the fusebox connection on the linked diagram just needs to go to the low beam fuse.

Here's a good fog lamp wiring diagram - be sure to use a relay like in the diagram so you don't put a lot of current through the switch. The relay should be available at any auto parts store for under $5.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglites.htm
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so is that my headlight relay that i connect it to? on 87??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
so is that my headlight relay that i connect it to? on 87??

No, that's a seperate relay that any auto parts store will carry in stock. Show them that drawing and they'll know what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so then where does that relay connect to?
like i know it goes to the battery, but does that mean i have to run a wire from the regulator to the relay?
i'm lost
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, follow along-- look at the drawing as a right side and a left side cause there's two different things going on in that picture.

The wire from the existing fusebox goes to the switch. When you flip the switch that powers-up the relay. The reason you go thru the existing fusebox is so the power goes off when you turn your ignition key off and you don't space off and leave the lights on.-- That's the right side of that drawing above. All that's happening is the switch is turning the relay off and on.

Now, check out the left side of the drawing: You are gonna want to run heavy wire from the battery right to the relay so you're not putting too much current thru your existing wiring harness. Battery to the "30" terminal of the relay, then thru the relay (when the power is on) to the lights via the "87" terminal on the relay. And, since you aren't going thru the existing fusebox you need to add an in-line fuse for safety.

See, you could skip the relay and just wire the whole thing thru the switch-- it would work the same. The trouble is that the switch isn't designed to handle that much current without over heating and maybe causing a fire so it is safer and better to just make the switch handle the relay and in turn make the relay do the real work. Don't skip the relay, I'm just saying that so you see what's happening.

And don't blow off doing all the ground wires cause that's important.

Think of it as two different jobs. First, wire the switch and the relay so whenever you flip the switch the relay clicks on and off (you will be able to hear it). Once you get that going right then all you do is hook up the wire from the battery to the relay and then the wire from the relay to the lights and *presto* you have foglights.

Where you mount the relay is up to you. Personally I would spend an extra buck and get a switch with a built-in light and skip all the extra work of wiring a separate indicator light but that's up to you too. And use 8 gauge wire for the run from the battery to the relay and the relay to the foglights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the help.
one more stupid question.
how does that wire go from the battery to the fuse? like how do hook that up? i know it just doesn't connect straight up to the battery, but i still don't understand. sort of.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
i know it just doesn't connect straight up to the battery, but i still don't understand. sort of.

That's exactly what it does. Here's a picture of a cruddy example. You are going to want to do to yours what the blue wire is doing in this picture:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=258455

You are going to run a heavy wire right from that battery post staight up to the relay (with an in-line fuse of course).

If you are a neatness freak you can pick up a new connecctor with the slot for a second wire at the auto parts store so everything looks nice like this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/154372.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: