Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 exhaust onto 1.9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: 2.1 exhaust onto 1.9 Reply with quote

So my exhaust is giving up the ghost. it cracked today about 3/4" away from the flange on the #1 cyl. So. woudl it be advantageous to install a 2.1 exhaust on my 1.9 (actually a 2.2)?

Another option isthe S&S headers, but ive heard horror stories about those.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A

Last edited by ProvoCyclist on Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: 1.9L vs 2.1L exhaust Reply with quote

I went through the same debate. The best I can tell, the exhaust itself is completely the same. The difference is in the O2 sensor used, the 1.9L uses a sensor before the cat. The 2.1L uses a heated O2 sensor.

I have a complete 1.9L exhaust (good shape), with a new cat and new muffler if you are interested. I put a S&S header on my 85 westy. The only bad thing is, that the flange between the muffler and cat is gone. It is welded together. I can take pics if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 exhaust onto 1.9 Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
So my exhaust is giving up the ghost. it cracked today about 3/4" away from the flange on the #1 cyl. So. woudl it be advantageous to install a 2.1 exhaust on my 1.9 (actually a 2.2)?

Another option isthe S&S headers, but ive heard horror stories about those.

They should be interchangeable... but check to see if you can get the stock one repaired. I have the S&S, and would indeed advise you to stay away from them. Stock is still the best, aside from the $tainle$$ stuff you might be able to find (although i think it is pretty much discontinued).

-Damon
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: s&s header Reply with quote

I'm happy with my s&s header. Fitting it was pure joy. Pulling my motor soon, and will be having it powder coated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. i just ordered a new stock setup, 2-day delivery. I gotta have it running asap, as Klaus is my DD.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
Klaus is my DD.

Translation please!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Translation please!

DD = "daily driver" on this mailing list.

if this were the "just mommies" forum my wife reads so much of, it would mean "dear daughter".

Acronyms are way too confusing... kwim?

-Damon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: