Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bleeding rear heater core
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.A.P.III
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Bleeding rear heater core Reply with quote

I just put in a new rear heater core in my vanagon 2.1 and was wondering how to bleed the air out. I have the gowesty bleeder pump.
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding rear heater core Reply with quote

I bled mine by driving the back wheels up on ramps, then opening the bleeder on the rear heater. This also worked for bleeding my radiator. I did not need any special suction or pressure tools, just gravity. (Engine not running)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding rear heater core Reply with quote

Make sure the valve at the rear heater core is open, and your heater on the dash is set to hot. Fill as much as you can in the expansion tank, and pressurize the system using the GoWesty pump to about 15psi. There should be a bleeder valve on the heater core. Crack it open and air will come out, close it when coolant comes out. Do the same thing with the bleeder valve on the radiator up front. You may need to pump up the pressure a bit after you've partially bled the system, keep it at around 15 psi. It should be able to hold that pressure, if after 10 minutes or so, the needle has gone down, start looking for leaks. if everything looks good, go ahead and start the engine with the expansion tank cap off. Add coolant if the level goes down, run the engine for a few minutes. When the coolant level is stable and the tank is full to the top, put the cap back on and go for a drive, try to go up and down some hills. Check your level and add more coolant if necessary. Make sure you drive long enough to actually open the thermostat, Ideally you should feel warmth at the radiator, and make sure both heater cores are warm. the radiator fan should cycle on and off. Just keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few days as you're driving around, it may take a little while to work all the air out of the system.
J.A.P.III
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding rear heater core Reply with quote

Which way to open the heater valve, forward or back ?
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding rear heater core Reply with quote

J.A.P.III wrote:
Which way to open the heater valve, forward or back ?

The piece you rotate is the direction of the flow if that makes sense. Parallel to the hose = open. Aka, point the valve toward the rear of the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: