Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old movies with Split busses.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

"Winning" (1969)- Near the end of the movie, main character car racer Frank Capua (Paul Newman) drives into a hotel parking lot and past a parked 23-window. He's in his '69 Ford Thunderbird Landau.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

The Quiller Memorandum (1966)

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Not so old "The Spy" Ep. 2 (2019)

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First mentioned in 2006 (egads, 15 years ago!) and numerous times after:
toydude111 wrote:
I just bought "what's up doc?". It's an old 70's movie. They total out a deluxe microbus. When the bus falls over, you can see where the bus was cut and welded in half in the length.

Here are some photos. Segment was filmed in San Francisco, California on 23rd Ave. & Balboa St. Judy Maxwell and Howard Bannister (Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal) pass by the parked bus as their delivery bike runs out of speed uphill (Pogel's gallery). IMCDb lists it as a '62.

As each of the 3 following cars turn around to follow the delivery bike downhill, they bash into the right side of the bus (sportin-wood's gallery shots follow).

The poor bus becomes so compacted (note the bags of cement inside, and the black "debris" knocked out of the back that's on the sidewalk to steady the bus! Embarassed )

that when the owner runs out and opens the driver's door, the bus falls over. toydude and others have mentioned that this bus had a section cut down the middle to make it narrower and "unstable" to facilitate falling over, likely pulled over by cable from the out-of-view production crew.

But: Just before Maxwell and Bannister head up the hill, the bus is originally parked nose-downhill (my photos)! Cool Very Happy

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

"Freebie and the Bean" 1974 movie filmed in San Francisco, California. Police detectives Freebie (actor James Caan, driving) and Bean (Alan Arkin) are in a white 1972 Ford Custom 500, following and then chasing a blue Plymouth. This green/ivory Splittie is parked at the curb. Up the road is another bus, barely visible ahead of the red Mustang convertible. There's also a late red Beetle parked at the end of the downhill on the left, hidden by the bus but seen a fraction of a second later.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Apologies for the double post - I added this in the VW in films thread on the General section last week. Adding it here because of the screenshot of the bus next to the track.

From a recent documentary, but the subject is an old movie that never got released. Well worth watching...

Who.Me? wrote:
From Steve McQueen: The Lost Movie

Screenshots of a film crew bus in the pits and a spectator bus on the track at the Nürburgring.

This was on Sky Documentaries just before Christmas. Not sure what other channels have it worldwide. Well worth a watch if you can get it though.

It's the story of 'Day of the Champion' that was intended to be a movie about Formula 1 starring Steve McQueen, but delays meant that 'Grand Prix' starring James Garner got released first so they shelved 'Day of the Champions' and archived the footage.

The previously unseen on-track footage from the Nürburgring is pretty amazing. No crash barriers. It's like they're racing on country lanes...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

In the action movie "That Man in Istanbul" (1965, filmed in Turkey), a man is kidnapped and smuggled out of the city in a white Splittie ambulance. When you first see it driving by in the parking garage, it's clearly a Barndoor Cool due to lack of roof overhang above windshield. Small, low profile "Lucas-style" front blinkers. Right front wheel has a hubcap, red front bumper, no large nose VW logo, and a black siren on the roof.

Driving to the pier area:

Arriving at the pier shows a post-barndoor with bullet turn signals, red roof siren, black bumper (maybe still red but looks dark due to being in shadow), nose logo, and the hubcap is missing. Main character Tony Mecenas (German actor Horst Buchholz) is in the red towel.

Last edited by Rome on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Wouldn't a barndoor have a brake light decklid?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

You may be right, since I don't know details on Barndoors. Also possible that on a special Ambulance BD, the brake light may have been relocated (??). Too bad the movie version I watched on YouTube had such poor resolution, thereby lack of detail/sharpness. Seems to also be a difference in the presence of a rear window from the garage vs the driving truck.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Not a Barndoor since it has a front roof overhang in the pics below but thanks for grabbing the pics
Quote:

It looks like it has the 1960-61 door wedges on the cargo door hinges so probably a 1960 model
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

I think Rome's right about there being two different buses in that sequence.
The first one looks to have a rear window, the second one looks like it doesn't...

Rome wrote:

I think the first one might have a center brake light too.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
The first one looks to have a rear window, the second one looks like it doesn't...

Rome wrote:

Was there any non barn door busses made with out a rear window?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Rome wrote:

Was there any non barn door busses made with out a rear window?

Yes, it was an option to have a solid rear window

Examples

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

and ambulances of course.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Watching 1956 movie "the mountain" saw this 23 window just a few minutes into it. Looks like a barndoor.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

"Tannbach" German TV series (2015)

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

5657 wrote:
"Tannbach" German TV series (2015)

Heck I don't see any goose neck hinges , Did all ambulances have those cool flip down hatches? That would be an awesome mobile work bench Very Happy
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

I didn't see any split buses in this but the plattenwagen makes an appearance at 7:05 in the film:

Link

Last edited by srfndoc on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

Plattenwagen: In Sept. 2019 I attended the All-Aircooled Gathering in Flanders, New Jersey. Event sponsor and participant Gene Langan Volkswagen of Glastonbury, Connecticut had a genuine Plattie on display. I mentioned to the 2 dealer representatives that when I worked at the Wolfsburg VW plant in the early 1980's, there were still some in actual use in the plant. Just like shown in your film segment, the front platform was excellent for moving larger items to/from the assembly line. Is nickname was "Muli" (mooley).
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Old movies with Split busses. Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
I didn't see any split buses in this but the plattenwagen makes an appearance at 7:05 in the film:

Link

Damn this video is so sick! Seeing those guys welding and painting with the quickness and not seeming that they were worrying about perfection. I remember seeing welds on OG 356's and being shocked how they are not perfect but solid. Idea Surprised Very Happy

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 46

Jump to: