Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What interior door panels and seats do I have.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: What interior door panels and seats do I have. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I read the treatise on middle seats by Lind (very helpful) and checked the tech. section and came up with this so far.
Middle seat:
The four post middle seat with the angled leg is 64-67. It has an ashtray so it is from a microbus or deluxe. If this is all correct the upholstery doen't match the range of options listed in the technical section.
Front seats:
I don't know what these seats are, or the door panels.
Any help appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The middle seat is the correct Silver Beige/Basalt Grey for a '64 Deluxe.

The heat-seamed pattern and color makes it '64 only.

The front seat and door panels are aftermarket and "incorrect".
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,

My middle seat just doesn't look much like the example in the paint/upholstery section of the "Technical" page. Wish I had the original panels and front seats too. I appreciate your time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks the same to me:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=213682

The pattern is slightly different as your seat is heat-seamed and that seat has the earlier sewn pleating.

The door panels are available new so you could restore your interior.

Unfortunately the heat-seamed seat material is not available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My middle seat seems much more two-toned and far more beige than the example but I am happy it is correct.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lighter color fades or yellows or gets sun damaged.
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More questions,

I have a rear seat that matches the materials in middle seat (siver biege/basalt grey) but no luggage bar across the top. I can feel the three mounting brackets on the back of the rear seat but there are no holes in the material. Shouldn't a rear seat in this color scheme have (or have had) a luggage bar as this scheme was only used on deluxes? I have all the other jailbars.

Is there anyway to determine if my walk through came with a 2/3 or full middle seat. I know the full seat I have is not common in a walk through. Unfortunately, my cargo floor has been hacked up a bit.

All of these clues are making me think the rear and middle seats are not original to my bus but I would like to confirm this somehow.

Thanks for any help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a Standard seat with no luggage bar. The standard seats do not have the 3 brackets so you should not be able to feel them. They did have a metal plate across the top edge of the seat.

Short or long middle seat - Check your M-code plate for the model #. 241 = full seat. 251 = short middle seat.
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Hooray Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,

The M code says 241 so it could still be the original seats.

I am certain I can feel three bracket on the back seat each with two round holes one over the other. This seems like the proper arrangement based on pictures of the luggage bar supports I have seen. If there was a luggage bar at some time there would have to be holes in the upholstery, right?

Last edited by burner on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the holes should be there.
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett, you are probably tired of this but, I am still curious. You have been very helpful.

I am certain my rear seat frame has three brackets at the top each with two holes for a luggage bar. The material is the heat seamed silver beige/basalt grey used only in a '64 sealing wax red/beige grey deluxe but, it has no holes in the upholstery where the post mount screw should go through.

Did any deluxes come without the rear seat luggage bar?

Did some standards actually get deluxe seat frames and upholstery without luggage bars?

I am thinking of getting a luggage bar for the rear seat but I am hesitant to put holes in the original material.

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burner wrote:
Did any deluxes come without the rear seat luggage bar?

I don't think so.

burner wrote:

Did some standards actually get deluxe seat frames and upholstery without luggage bars?

I am thinking of getting a luggage bar for the rear seat but I am hesitant to put holes in the original material.

Thanks

This is possible - maybe someone made a mistake and used a Deluxe seat frame. Standards have a metal plate screwed along the top rear corner of the seat frame. This could screw into any seat frame.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that color combo would also have come on mouse grey / pearl white buses ( deluxe & standard ) 64 buses also had color matched headliners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
that color combo would also have come on mouse grey / pearl white buses ( deluxe & standard ) 64 buses also had color matched headliners.

No, Mouse Grey Buses have single-tone seats.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

No, Mouse Grey Buses have single-tone seats.

ok, I see that seat is two tone, but wouldn't the deluxe mouse/white buses have had two tone seats or was in -only- on the red buses?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hey! I have become a "Samba Contributor". I love it. I used to be a trainee or something like that.

According to the technical section, only the sealing was red buses have the two tone seats in 64.

The frame of my seat feels like the frame in the following picture.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/187525.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of an uncovered rear seat frame from a standard for comparison. I didn't find one in the gallery.

I will post a picture of the rear seat soon. It has the same material as the middle seat, a material that is not available in reproduction.

Somehow, I have a deluxe rear seat frame covered with original deluxe upholstery with no evidence of any luggage bar.

Volkswagens can be such mysteries.

Thanks for the replies.
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

My standard has a deluxe back seat that I recently re-upolstered. It had the same tabs along the top bar. Of course the little tab on the side is for mounting the seat to the side of the bus. Unfortunately I didn't snap a photo before putting the new cover on.

There could be a possibility that your seat was recovered back in the days when the material was available and the luggage bars weren't re-installed.

If you were to ask for my opinion I'd put the luggage bars on. It certainly wouldn't be wrong on such a cool bus.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
burner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry J wrote:
Hi Mike,

My standard has a deluxe back seat that I recently re-upolstered. It had the same tabs along the top bar. Of course the little tab on the side is for mounting the seat to the side of the bus. Unfortunately I didn't snap a photo before putting the new cover on.

There could be a possibility that your seat was recovered back in the days when the material was available and the luggage bars weren't re-installed.

If you were to ask for my opinion I'd put the luggage bars on. It certainly wouldn't be wrong on such a cool bus.

Thanks Jerry. The material looks quite old but it could just be old replacement material I suppose. Seems to be the most logical hypothesis as it seems unlikely to come from the factory without a luggage bar or holes in the material.

Hope to see you at the Bug In or the Drive In.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: