Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp and 356 - interchangeability?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohninCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: 36hp and 356 - interchangeability? Reply with quote

First off I’m not 100% sure this is the correct forum for my questions. If I missed the mark please point me in the right direction.

Long time VW enthusiast returning to the scene after many years.

I own a fairly nice daily driver 57 Oval Rag that I plan on pumping up the power on a little. I have purchased a restored Judson kit for the 36hp and before installing it the plan is to freshen up the engine. In reading the forums here I have learned that several parts form a Porsche 356 (and 912?) engine will fit a 36hp.

Off the top of my head some of the parts I remember are …

Crankshaft and rods.

Camshaft.

Oil Cooler.

Adjustable push rods?

12V Generator?

Since I will be going through the engine I’d like to add some old school hot rodding tricks to the engine. And what better way than dropping some 356 parts in?

Is there a resource on line or in print that highlights which parts will interchange? What benefits might be achieved? Modifications needed for the parts to fit?

Are there any other upgrades I should consider that would have been standard back in the day? My goal is to avoid the high dollar and rare parts like Okrasa.

Any thoughts on whether or not some valve and port work to the heads would be a benefit since the engine will be supercharged?

I have read the unlimited 36hp drag racing thread. And I have picked up some great information in reading it. But most of the information seems to be over the top for a street engine. Can a 36hp really be punched out to a 1904cc?

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!

John
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 356 - interchangeability? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96565

JohninCM wrote:
Can a 36hp really be punched out to a 1904cc?

i've got 1405cc

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohninCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

Is that 1405cc of yours a runner? Care to share which crank - cylinder combo you used to get there?

Any other details on your build would be a great help.

Thanks,

John

1964 Morris Mini Cooper
1966 Lotus Cortina
1977 VW Rabbit
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig this, John:

http://www.356registry.org/tech/vwtoporsche.html

Welcome back to the VW scene!

There is a huge VW event right near you called the VW Classic; takes place June 11 at Irvine Amphitheater. I'm from NY so I cannot attend, but this will charge your 6V enthusiasm with 24volts. Show listings are here, among others: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/index.php
JohninCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome, That link to the 356 Registry is great! Thank you.

Back in the day I went to the very first Classic (which is held about 15mins from my home ... Yes!).

I drove over to the Classic two years ago in the 57 just for a quick visit to check it out. Well the parking was crazy so I just went where the parking guys pointed me. And before I realized what was going on they had me parked in with the other Oval's in the show area.

So much for a quick visit! Of course it was great to have my car displayed at the "Classic".

My goal is to have the new engine built and dialed in for next years season.

Thanks again for the link,

John

1964 Morris Mini Cooper
1966 Lotus Cortina
1977 VW Rabbit
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.

Welcom back to the scene!

I have a 57 oval with a 356 Super engine. It`s an old skool Hot VW. Looks bone stock except for a 56 convertible deck lid, 356 wheels and the 356 sport exhaust. (exhaust looks alot like the VW unit but the out pipes are bigger).

Also have a 69 with Judson. It has cool factor but the Judson does not add alot of power. It makes a 1500 single port feel more like a 1600.

Good luck with your bug!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohninCM wrote:
Brad,

Is that 1405cc of yours a runner? Care to share which crank - cylinder combo you used to get there?

Any other details on your build would be a great help.

Thanks,

John

i bought it with the car and the engine runs great. took it for a small 150 mile drive on sunday.

details:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=248471

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: