Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI Products
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickets, crickets.

No sir on the muffler.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the guy's been reading all this and decided to quit.

Perhaps his thoughts: "Well, HEY! My employer has a renowned reputation for making shitty, ill-fitting componentry and doesn't give a shit! I'm Doug, and I don't need this crap. I'm OUTTA heeerrre..."*

*latter quote is a reference to MTV's mid '90s sketch show, "The State"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakejumper615 wrote:
yea ive had it all the way forward, all the way back, in the middle, even tried to torque it one way or another. ive taken it out and re-installed it a few times. same results as always, only grinds on occasion but makes me sick to my stomache when it does.

I got the same thing. I had to re-engineer the base to fit. The one I have uses a lock-out plate that is smaller than the stock one, so they are not swap-able.

It took me a good two hours to get ie to work correctly, and now (three months later) it is wearing out the shift handle.

I knew before I bought it that it probably wouldn't last very long (EMPI's reputation), but I didn't have the $$$ for a quality shifter.

On the same note, if EMPI's shifter was high quality, but costed significantly more, I still would have purchased a cheaper shifter. In that sense, EMPI is filling a market demand. Cheap, low quality products. It's not exactly a desirable slogan, but it is a neccesary market.

Quote:
Now that it's verbed, I'm not sure I can noun it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhorn wrote:
wakejumper615 wrote:
yea ive had it all the way forward, all the way back, in the middle, even tried to torque it one way or another. ive taken it out and re-installed it a few times. same results as always, only grinds on occasion but makes me sick to my stomache when it does.

I got the same thing. I had to re-engineer the base to fit. The one I have uses a lock-out plate that is smaller than the stock one, so they are not swap-able.

It took me a good two hours to get ie to work correctly, and now (three months later) it is wearing out the shift handle.

I knew before I bought it that it probably wouldn't last very long (EMPI's reputation), but I didn't have the $$$ for a quality shifter.

On the same note, if EMPI's shifter was high quality, but costed significantly more, I still would have purchased a cheaper shifter. In that sense, EMPI is filling a market demand. Cheap, low quality products. It's not exactly a desirable slogan, but it is a neccesary market.

The statement in bold is EXACTLY what keeps the VW market flooded with bullshit, shitty-ass parts. Nobody wants to pay for quality. The problem is it's the entire community that pays the price for offshore, cheaply made parts. Then people get "sick of VWs" because of the crappy mass produced parts, despite the fact that they can obtain better parts at admittedly higher prices.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
The statement in bold is EXACTLY what keeps the VW market flooded with bullshit, shitty-ass parts. Nobody wants to pay for quality. The problem is it's the entire community that pays the price for offshore, cheaply made parts. Then people get "sick of VWs" because of the crappy mass produced parts, despite the fact that they can obtain better parts at admittedly higher prices.

And do you know why we like cheap parts????

Because we like cheap cars.

I didn't buy a 30 y.o. car b/c it's an investment that I expect to turn a profit on. It was an economy car back then and it's an economy car now.

They are cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. I paid $500 for my car. That's about two payments on a new car. If I could afford the most expensive accessories I would drive an early bus or split bug.

Sure I can dump $5K in it. Would I expect to get that much back? No.

Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gather you're not into the hobby for the long haul, then?

I am, and I guess I've gotten to the point where parts don't have to be an "instant gratification" thing. I'd rather wait, save some cash and get good parts than continually feed money into those pig fuckers that are robbing the industry and unsuspecting customers by producing cheap, shitty parts.

Economy car = justification for repeatedly buying crappy parts? Your logic fails to compute, hoss. The Ford Model T was an economy car at one point, you think the street rod crowd puts up with bullshit parts? It seems to be unique to the VW crowd, IMO.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, bhorn, as long as you want to pay for crap with chump change, EMPI will always be there to accomodate you. You'll be replacing that garbage before long, too. And you know what? EMPI will be there again, to accomodate you with the next worthless part. Comforting to know they're there for you, isn't it? lol

They are getting a bad rap on some stuff, and some of their stuff that they resell is ok. Most of their stuff just plain sucks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's actually funny if you think of these numbnutzes as renting their parts from the manufacturer, LMAO. They don't own them because if they did they wouldn't have to keep paying for what they already bought!

On another note, the VW Beetle IS NOT AN ECONOMY CAR. VWs are high maintenance vehicles. On a 1990 honda you do not have to adjust the valves, change the oil every 1k miles, lube the wiper shafts, lube the front end, adjust wheel bearings, change plugs every 12k miles, adjust points, etc etc. The fact that most VW owners do no do this are exactly why they fall apart, and also why most used VWs need a LOT of work when you get them to fix the stuff the PO ignored. If you want a cheap car to buy/operate a bug is not it. It may have been in the 1970s and early 80s, but not now.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...

Maybe I should have quantified my statement.

I don't mind buying cheap aftermarket parts that I know I'll have to replace WHEN they are not parts that are safety or mechanically critical.

I.e. the POS EMPI shifter is a bling item. I still have the OG stock shifter. In fact I carry it in a box in the back seat. You never know. If I had a Berg shifter, no, I wouldn't carry the original as a spare.

I do save up for quality when it comes to things like brakes, engine, seat belts, etc. I'm saving up for a disk-brake conversion kit right now. Eventually I'd like a hoss engine, but I know that I need all the other components upgraded before that.

It is a hobby for me. And while only time will tell, I hope to be in it for the long haul.

The point in my original post was this: EMPI serves a particular sub-market. Nothing more, nothing less. They provide goods that met the demands of some.

It's like toilet paper to me. Sure, you can buy the $2.00 / roll good stuff with lotion and ripples. Or you can buy the cheap one that leaves your asshole raw. All that really matters is that you have a clean ass.

Quote:
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, if more people were willing to pay for a higher quality product, the prices probably wouldn't be so much comparetively higher. If the demand was greater, I'm sure the prices would drop in a complementary fashion, as well.

I think I can honestly say if EMPI/Mr. Bug decided to stop making VW parts today, I would not be heartbroken. They certainly don't have the market cornered for the stock replacement parts.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're making a little more sense. but...

bhorn wrote:
It's like toilet paper to me. Sure, you can buy the $2.00 / roll good stuff with lotion and ripples. Or you can buy the cheap one that leaves your asshole raw. All that really matters is that you have a clean ass.

Oh, but it's more like this than you seem to know. Empi gives you a sore ass and you feel it's fine. lol

There ARE some EMPI products I will buy, but very very few, and only when I am in a pinch. The cheapo oil fillers for example are pretty safe, short of the STUPID PLASTIC CAP THAT BREAKS WHEN THE WIND BLOWS. I've broken a few of them, it's pathetic. Just make it with A LITTLE MORE MATERIAL, and it'll be fine. Just make it with a SLIGHTLY better plastic, that will help too.

But you know, there's no problem with them.. it's all me. It's my hulk-like grip, isn't it?
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.empius.com/catalog/empi2005_pg40.html
One of these oil caps might withstand your grip Wink

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Customer purchased (from us) an EMPI linkage/intake/filter kit for his Dellortos. The kit was MISSING the linkage hardware bag. No problem, right? LMAO! This is the new EMPI!!!

They won't send a new bag of hardware, BUT THEY WILL SELL US ONE!!!!!!!!!! This is to replace the missing bag of parts from THEIR KIT.

The reason given was because the sale was over a year ago. Apparantly they do not understand that many times a customer buys parts for a future project as they acquire funds.

Caveat Emptor.

I'm having to deal with making things right for the customer on my own, nevermind "EMPI's "Customer Service" (oxymoron if I ever heard one).

What a headache.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so stupid.

I'm simply going to give the customer his $ back and refund the shipping total to him, but also tell him that EMPI wouldn't make the kit complete! I will also recommend he "upgrade" to a better kit (not EMPI).

The end result is that we come across as good guys, and EMPI as a bunch of greedy guys that do not care about making the kits complete and helping the customer out. They are just pissing on themselves and don't even see it!

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I can't even begin to express how much rage that blue globe logo with orange rally stripes stirs in me, when I read stuff like that.
Anybody willing to frame EMPI as a worthy enemy in the global war on terror? Lol! A couple strategically launched smart bombs could wipe out this bane of the VW world. Damn Taiwan Turds.
vwsinglecab60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
did the muffler ever get replaced?

john

YEA.....................

RIGHT!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190260

Wow, it just gets better and better...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhorn wrote:

And do you know why we like cheap parts????

Because we like cheap cars.

I didn't buy a 30 y.o. car b/c it's an investment that I expect to turn a profit on. It was an economy car back then and it's an economy car now.

They are cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. I paid $500 for my car. That's about two payments on a new car. If I could afford the most expensive accessories I would drive an early bus or split bug.

Sure I can dump $5K in it. Would I expect to get that much back? No.

In 1976 I purchased a new Hurst Shifter. I used it until 1998 when I had to upgrade to a Berg to work with their 5 speed. The Hurst still fited like new and i'm not selling it. It has over 400,000 miles on it of daily use.

My Berg linkage that I bought back in 1980 is still in use and when I build my new engine, it will be installed. Berg deep sump and Achiever pulley are also 26 years old and will be reused. My Berg 74mm crank has 97,000 miles and even though there's a large hole in the top of the engine, Tim @ GBE told me if it's still in one piece it can be fixed.

If you want cheap... just don't expect it to last. And there's a good chance it will leave you stuck on the side of the road.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny story about empi.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452393

I have run into issues with empi too. I bought a rear disk brake kit with the e-brake. I bought it knowing about empi's quality, or lack of really. I did have to fuss with it for a while. There where several take the wheel off, fuss with the caliper (it was dragging a lot, causing the rotor to burn up) put it back together and test again, repete. But after quite a few hours and some frustration, i have them working properly. They chatter a bit, but they work.

When it come to empi, the saying goes "you get what you pay for".
The story i just told, tolerable.
The cv bolts with out threads on them in the story in the link i posted.....uhhhh. Not tolerable.

The nice thing about empi is that there are all these noobs going out and buying empi this, that, these and those thinking they are going to have one hot ride. Then the thing runs like crap and is always broken down, and then they sell it, which is where i come in and make a good score on a cheap car. Very Happy

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just filled up my long term stroker project engine with SAE 30 Brad Penn break in oil, to find the oil leaking out of the EMPI sump. I was going to get a Berg one but thought " how hard can it be to stuff up an oil storage device?" big mistake, the sump is porous and drips 5-6 drops a day at atmospheric temps. Berg one will be in stock in 2-3 weeks and is already paid for, along with a new shifter and a few other bits and bobs.

EMPI is crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: