Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ace German Automotive - Moved or OoB?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Ace German Automotive - Moved or OoB? Reply with quote

I have been trying to get a hold of Ace German for a cpl of wks now, and eventually just drove to the address listed here on TS.
The space had a pretty big work truck parked inside and that was all (looked closed). I've even left a VM w/ the number listed.

13872 Dawson Beach Road
Woodbridge, VA 22191
703-490-5172 (main)

Does anyone know if they moved or are now Out-of-Business?

Edit:
NM, I just found on their contact us page another address...

27 Utah Place
Units 103 & 105
Stafford, VA 22405
(703) 490-5172

And I was looking around their site to see if they had moved -d'oh!

Thanks -

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, they moved to the Utah place.

They are still in business. Tim wanted to work close to home last time I talked to him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There here in Stafford. I was up there last month and bought a set of seats from him. I might have the number around here somewhere. I also have his email.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer - they were close to my home Confused

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good -

I dropped by the new location yesterday.
Cool bunch of guys.

There was a '64 sunroof there that was dumped!
It had to be the lowest bug I have seen in person.

:thinkingaboutairsuspensionformycar:

*October '54 Ragtop
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about 3 minutes away from there. I was going to take my split there and have them do some work on it but decided to do all of the work myself. That '64 is low, it needs a narrowed beam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: ACE German Auto Reply with quote

I was stopped by a VW enthusiast yesterday asking if I knew of a VW shop in my area, Fairfax VA.

It seems his '79 bus was left high and dry at Ace German Auto in Stafford, and Tim has 'left the building'\

Monk Flemmings is also helping sort out the mess. Good man, Monk, and good man, Tim. Just don't know what hapened?? Super long vacation?!?!??
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: ACE German Auto Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:
I was stopped by a VW enthusiast yesterday asking if I knew of a VW shop in my area, Fairfax VA.

It seems his '79 bus was left high and dry at Ace German Auto in Stafford, and Tim has 'left the building'\

Monk Flemmings is also helping sort out the mess. Good man, Monk, and good man, Tim. Just don't know what hapened?? Super long vacation?!?!??

ACE is officially OUT-OF-BUSINESS! Shocked

Actually...I got the call from this gentleman w/ the high and dry bus. Very Happy I gave Monk's phone number since I do not work on cars/bus anymore. However, I still do install engines I build.

Straight machining... yes. Crawling under a car..NO!

I also did few machine work for TIM. It is unfortunate. I knew the crew at ACE when Kenny was still alive. I used to hang out there all the time.

More and more our sources are drying up in the VA/MD/DC area. Who knows where we would send our stuff out to get some decent work done.
ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ACE is officially OUT-OF-BUSINESS!

That's a doggone shame - Ken, Tim, Barb and the rest of the gang restored my SingleCab and did a wonderful job. Does anyone know what exactly happened? I heard Tim was having health issues - is he ok?

At least there's still Paul's in Annandale.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul does more on the watercooled cars than aircooled anymore.

Not sure if he would touch anymore AirCooled ones. I know he does not have any machining services for it.

There is another VW shop along Circle, VA. Circle auto...something. It is towards Fairfax station. I have never been there.

There is another shop in Columbia Pike.

There is Bugs and Bunnies in Bailey's Crossroads/ Glebe Rd. This man is mean! I am sure there are a few in betweens.
ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul does more on the watercooled cars than aircooled anymore.

Not sure if he would touch anymore AirCooled ones. I know he does not have any machining services for it.

There is another VW shop along Circle, VA. Circle auto...something. It is towards Fairfax station. I have never been there.

There is another shop in Columbia Pike.

There is Bugs and Bunnies in Bailey's Crossroads/ Glebe Rd. This man is mean! I am sure there are a few in betweens.

Paul's still does aircooled - Don worked on my truck last week. As for the Bailey's shop, are you talikng about the Bug and Honda shop? That's long gone which is sad 'cuz that guy was honest and fair. And yes, the Bugs & Bunnies - when I called him about doing some work on my SingleCab, he shouted, "I don't work on those Goddamn things anymore!" Meaning Type 2's. Talk about customer service Shocked

I've heard about a new shop in Woodbridge - they had a car show in mid-July. Has anyone had any experience with them?

honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Wayne Dittman still there in Stafford Virginia??

I have a mechanic in Annandale Virginia for my family vehicles. He has been working on ALL my cars since 1996.

He was the head mechanic at Springfield VW, now has his own place.

Today, when I went to pick up my 240SX (bad trans; awaiting replacement auto trans so I took it off his lot), and I mentioned my shocks problems, he started relating about how all the replacement shocks (air, oil, gas) were not good. Only the ORIGINAL shocks were worth any consideration.

He was talking about a road rally in South America where he was a mechanic of one of the Opal teams in 1988. He said the shocks would burn up in just one day of off road driving, no matter what he put on. But before he left the USA for Columbia, he had a set of ORIGINAL shocks hidden behind some air compressor back at Springfield VW, and he called back and had them sent down to him.

He put them on and they lasted a week.

This was a month (or more) road rally, with two weeks prep and two weeks at the end.

The stories we could tell!!
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ho-dad wrote:

I've heard about a new shop in Woodbridge - they had a car show in mid-July. Has anyone had any experience with them?

How about Monk Flemmings?? He was at the Manassas Bug Out last year??

Thanks for all the fish.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Wayne Dittman and Monk. I do machine work for both of them.

I do some Type IVs for Wayne. I also get a lot of my parts from Wayne.

Monk is a good friend of mine.

There is really not anyone doing heavy VW machining in northern VA ...other than me. Very Happy Almost all are shipped to California.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That totally sucks!

Looks like I'll have to do *all* of the restoration work myself... damn.

*October '54 Ragtop
yelirt5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Ace German is Definitely OOB! Reply with quote

I took my car in to them over a year ago. Apparently Mike got hurt (or that's the story I got) and they wound up being locked out by the people renting their business. My car was still in their shop. I had to beg the lease people to let me in there to get it. When I got home I realized how many parts are missing. They never reattached the body to the car and it's missing the seal. I'm also missing all brake parts between the master cylinder and the pedal assembly. What a nightmare. Wish I had never taken my care there. The paint job looks like total crap too. They just painted over areas that were rust pitted and needed sanding. I know one guy who's suing them. I wish I had the money and time to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just sucks everywhere.

I do NOT think you can sue them personally. If the company was a corporation, then you can only sue the company...NOt the individual.

The company..now defunct..is the one responsible not the people working in it.
yelirt5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why I decided not to sue them. It's not worth it. Those dirtbags don't have money to buy themselves a pot to piss in, so it's all just a waste of time.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just sucks, yelirt5. It was such a great shop - I'm sure Ken is spinning in his grave. Crying or Very sad

yelirt5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only consolation is that they did an absolutely beautiful job on the metal work. I'm more mad at myself for letting them paint it. If I just really looked hard at the car I would have known it wasn't ready. Mike was just trying to get some more money from me before they finally went under.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: