Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSF wrote:
bvhill wrote:
I have a very decent pair of bumpers that I...

Dude-- you're the prime candidate for re-chroming! I don't understand why you'd trade a set of good originals in on a set of dubious quality copies.

Maybe if you didn't have anything at all, but...

Not trying to knock you (and to prove it, I'm putting used fiberglass bumpers on the one I have for sale, lol), but what's the thought process here? Maybe I'm lookin at things all wrong...

No offense taken. I'm posting on this thread because I have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I'm really torn on what to do. Reason is, the quotes I've gotten for re-chroming are $700 each bumper for triple chrome. My car isn't exactly all original anyway and I figure I could save a little dough by getting a few bucks for my current bumpers and get these others....just thinking that's all. My gut tells me to do what you are saying and that's rechroming but I don't know if I can stomach that kind of cash.....
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvhill wrote:
DSF wrote:
bvhill wrote:

Dude-- you're the prime candidate for re-chroming! I don't understand why you'd trade a set of good originals in on a set of dubious quality copies.

Not trying to knock you (and to prove it, I'm putting used fiberglass bumpers on the one I have for sale, lol), but what's the thought process here? Maybe I'm lookin at things all wrong...

No offense taken. I'm posting on this thread because I have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I'm really torn on what to do. Reason is, the quotes I've gotten for re-chroming are $700 each bumper for triple chrome. My car isn't exactly all original anyway and I figure I could save a little dough by getting a few bucks for my current bumpers and get these others....just thinking that's all. My gut tells me to do what you are saying and that's rechroming but I don't know if I can stomach that kind of cash.....

Take it like a man. You only live once Cool (Damn, I love spending someone elses money Laughing )
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvhill wrote:
I'm really torn on what to do. Reason is, the quotes I've gotten for re-chroming are $700 each bumper for triple chrome. My car isn't exactly all original anyway and I figure I could save a little dough by getting a few bucks for my current bumpers and get these others....just thinking that's all. My gut tells me to do what you are saying and that's rechroming but I don't know if I can stomach that kind of cash.....

http://www.karmannghia.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=1393
http://www.karmannghia.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=1317
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what is the chrome like? triple plate? mint bumpers?

don't they just rechrome used cores? It's essentially like paying the full price for chroming to be done to your cores.

It's been in the back of my mind to get those, but i'd be expecting perfect and i am not sure that is what they are.

anyone have experience with *these* (KGPR) bumpers?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what is the chrome like? triple plate? mint bumpers?

I'm leaning towards doing my car in red/black, so I'd be using the strawberry bumpers.

don't they just rechrome used cores? It's essentially like paying the full price for chroming to be done to your cores.

From my discussion wiith the guy a @ KGPR, it sounds like some bits are new, some bits are repro, and some bits are refurb original.

anyone have experience with *these* (KGPR) bumpers?

I'll let you know - I just ordered a set Smile
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvhill wrote:
DSF wrote:
bvhill wrote:

$700 per bumper is a Great price for triple chrome. If you go that route make sure the really are doing triple chrome. Copper,Nickel, Chrome

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my KGPR bumpers yesterday. They are definitely not triple-plated Sad
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....finally got around to assembly of the SS Harington bumpers and have some pics.

This entry to the thread will have pics and details of the front bumper. I have a set mounted to the front of my POS 67 ghia. Sorry I don't have a better ghia to show them off.

Assembly was a bear...more than the normal adjusments of putting together an original bumper. I definately have some issues to discuss with Harrington, such as.....

-The original bracket spacers will not work. I had to modify some originals so the brackets would be perpendicular to the bumper, otherwise they would angle in toward each other. I have pics of the modified brackets in my gallery.

-I had to clean out a couple of holes with a tap so the bolts would thread properly.

-Slight scratches here and there from assembly at the factory. Some in noticeable areas.

-The OG overrider bars are 30mm in diameter and the oval tip where it mounts to the blade is 38mm long.
The Harrington bars are 26mm in diameter and the oval tip is 34mm long.
So the gasket or seal is not as sug as with an OG bar.
Therefore the bar to blade seals are too big.

Otherwise the other parts fit pretty good. The guards to the blades fit pretty well....only one small gap on one side of the guards.

The fit to the ghia was pretty good as well. Overall not too bad.
As luck would have it, I did not have overrider supports at the shop so that part of the fitment test was not done. The holes are centered and it looks as if they would fit OK...

Metal Thickness:
OG is .075 in or 14 guage
Harrington is .060 in or 16 guage (approx)

here are some pics.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOTE: If you use "quote" to add to this thread, could you please delete any pics or comments you don't necessarily need to include? It gets a little crazy when every reply post has every pic included. Many Thanks!

Last edited by HouseofGhia on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Bumper:

First off the 67-69 rear bumper I had assembled was not done correctly....because it could not be done the way Harrington had marked it for assembly....mainly referring to the bumper guards. They are messed up and going back. The holes to mount the upper guard to the bar were off, and therefore the overrider support bar could not be assembled.

So I put together a 56-66 rear bumper and mounted it to my 67. Well I already know it won't fit the fenderwells, but wanted to test fit it any way so pics are below (i didn't have a 66 or earlier ghia at the shop, they are at another location)

I'm thinking of removing it and putting the guards and overrider bars from the 56-66 on the blades for the 67-69, well at least the corner blades anyway. Then fit it on the 67.

Overall, pretty satisfied with the rear bumper as well as the front. No special mods needed for the rear...went together pretty easily.

westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much Mike. I'm sure i can speak for everyone on that.

I'm curious about the overriders. I'd guess that the OEM overriders would be compatible on the SS Harington bumpers? Those are the only part that looks abd (and the gasket fitment - but that should be an easy fix)

Also - do you (or anyone) know if they offer a euro version?
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for all your efforts on this.

Compared to what chrome work costs
here in FL, these units look like a viable option
once they get the bugs worked out.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to say that I appreciate the amount of effort that you have put into making sure we get quality parts for our cars. The trial fitting overall looks really nice imo. Thanks Exclamation

Mike Gerson

Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

factory bumpers no overiders, triple chrome, all dents and rust pits fixed, lifetime warranty, front and rear $300.00 (6 pieces) 3 month wait on getting them back. Id say im 95% satisfied with the quality but 300 bucks makes the 5% unimportant.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westcoast-paul wrote:
thanks so much Mike. I'm sure i can speak for everyone on that.

I'm curious about the overriders. I'd guess that the OEM overriders would be compatible on the SS Harington bumpers? Those are the only part that looks abd (and the gasket fitment - but that should be an easy fix)

The holes in the overriders for the tubes are a tight fit on the Harrington bars. The OG's would not fit without enlarging the hole.

Quote:
Also - do you (or anyone) know if they offer a euro version?

I sent Euro guards over but have not received a set back.
bvhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the Harrington Euro bumpers would fit? Not as many worries because the towel racks are not present....
willycars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom

How can you tell the bumper is NOT triple plated? I bought a front bumper (complete) from KGPR and I'm not real familier with different types of chroming. BTW, the bumper I got looks beautiful except I had to send the two outer blades back. One had a place on it beside the overrider hole and the other had no bracket to attach it to the side of the car. The guy had no problem with exchanging them and promptly gave me a RA #. I have not rec. the replacements yet.

The early bird gets the worm . . . . but the second mouse gets the cheese.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, KingKarmann, and Ghiaddict....

I have to apologize to the group for taking so long on this evaluation. It was my intention every weekend for the last three months to get to these, but my time is very limited given all the diferent responsibilities I've taken on. So again I apologize.

And after reading through my post, it looks as though I highlighted the negative aspects of the product and did not really give proper mention of the positive points of the product. That is not really fair to Harrington and the efforts they made in trying to produce a part for ghia owners that is not readily available.

What I was attempting to do was to let folks know what they might expect if they were to order bumpers from them. I wanted to be honest in my assessment which I think is important. The issues with the bumpers are minor IMO and overall I feel the product is a good one.
They fit on the car well, and they look good once they are on.

Harrington has responded that they will work on smoothing the bend in the corner overriders and that the Euro bumpers will be available soon.

I think that anyone purchasing one of these sets will not be disappointed.
As you can see in the pics, they look good, despite being on my crappy ghia Wink

Mike
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll bite once the overrider tubes are cleaned up. That is the only issue for me from what i see.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not really considered going with the euro blades but if the Harrington units come through with an acceptable level of quality it might be nice to have a set of them. That way if I get tired of the towel bars I could install the euros' and throw on a set of different wheels. It would be a great way to get a totally different look for a relatively cheap price Very Happy

Mike Gerson

thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how the Euro version pans out.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 42

Jump to: