Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
URQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Its time and I am in the market for a Drive Shaft Decoupler for my 1987 Syncro.
And I would like to know who has the best deal in the US for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Long Enterprises:
http://www.longenterprises.com/vanagon_syncro_specialty_items.htm
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another option out there that I just went with. There's a guy producing a design similar to the original German specs, actually known as the "south african" design at a good price. I just bought one, but have not installed it yet. It uses larger splined gears like a PTO. Priced a lot less than the other decoupler, but doesn't use as many parts with VW/audi logos on them. I can live with generic vacuum tubing. Contact Kirk Meeks... kirk911ATprodigyDOTnet for more info.

BTW, for a good overview of the various decoupler designs, http://www.syncro.org/disengager.shtml
is a great link.

Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
URQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the two great sourcecs?
I will look into them both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider on the German/South African design. The materials used are prone to corrosion. Which is a problem even with the diff lock on the transmission. There was a discussion some time back about corrosion issues on the SA unit. However, this could also be aggrivated due to poor machining, when done in do it yourself kit form.

Bit if you live in the land without water 'Sinauga', like I do, this may never be an issue. I'd just hate to spend that kind of money and then end up with a unit that fails to do its job when I really need it (a recurring problem with the diff lock on the tranny also). Thats the main reason I went with the US designed unit. Mine has worked flawlessly since I installed it. I am considering putting the SS shafts on my transmission unit to keep it from happening. Ask Walrus about his fun times getting his diff lock unstuck due to corrosion.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the corrosion issue. Fortunately the decoupler I purchased from Mr. Meeks has a stainless steel shaft.

Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey how much is the Long enterprise kit?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it ran me around $1,200 plus a $300 core charge, which they speedly refunded for my nose piece and sleeve. The kit came with all the bits, including sealant, vac lines and selector. Great time to switch your tranny over to Redline MTL, you really can get All the old oil out when you do this.

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Just bought (another) Syncro and am considering adding the decoupler (my last one didn't have one - & burnt up in Baja Sur in 2019 - unrelated reason). I have the locker but am confused on the "need" or 'advantage" of eliminating the VC entirely, [i.e., "straight shaft"] when adding this. Most driving done on highway - and off-road stuff (usually) not too radical. Thoughts?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

If you do really serious off roading, running a straight shaft and decoupler is better. The decoupler is a locker for the front and rear axles. When the front and rear are decoupled you are running in 2wd mode.

A VC is vastly superior 99.9% of the time. That other 00.1% is when you're stuck in the sand in Baja Sur.

In my not so humble opinion, the most rounded adventure vehicle set up is rear LSD, center VC (which is an LSD), and a front locker. Adding a winch is always a good idea if you're off road.
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Thanks! Mine is an 87 also - Subaru 2.2. Called Van Cafe - waste of time for info! - but am leaning towards getting their product vs. "G.W.". However, called Go Westy - had a very nice, informative discussion about all this. My budget (after buying the vehicle tomorrow) is limited, so think the straight shaft set-up (after today's discussion) is the better idea.
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Hmmmm- I just thought of something else though. If driving on ice (or hard pack snow) - it would seem that having the VC might be a better option as you're on a highway and if you exit to get gas or something, you'll then need to make harder turns....?!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

pindrums wrote:
My budget (after buying the vehicle tomorrow) is limited

limited budget + syncro...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Yes; you're right - ("limited" at this moment after purchase tomorrow!). Not my 1st Syncro! haha
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Stay with the VC. Unless you spend lots of time is deep sand you're much better off keeping it AWD.

With a solid shaft you're a 2wd 99.9% of the time.

As far as needing a decoupler I would wait. Decouplers are good to reduce stress on the drivetrain in low speed hot tarmac conditions where you're turning tight, like in a parking lot, and have other advantages when doing maintenance, etc but unless you have a very aggressive VC you don't really need one.

It used to be thought that decouplers would help with gas milage on long freeway drives but time/experience has shown otherwise.

I like having one, and use it, but if it went away tomorrow I could live without.
With a new purchase I would save my money for other more important maintenance items until I was sure the rig is dialed in.

Post some pics when you get the Syncro home! Good luck with the new drive. Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Interesting reply: the guy at Go W said something a little different. I agree about your 99% 2WD statement, but he said eliminating the VC is overall a better way as you're in 2WD all the time unless off road and needed as a 4WD [vs an AWD], therefore your front end is "locked". Only thing to be aware of is making tight turns on hard surfaces, but as he pointed out - not an issue "off road. Right now, my VC is really difficult in a turn on asphalt - my last Syncro (86) was not as severe Only did this to check out if the rear locker was working before buying this new Syncro. If I knew the condition of the VC currently in there, I would just leave it alone, but I don't know it's condition. More food for thought! haha
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Keep in mind the GW folks are into going to Baja. If that's your scene then great, but for overall conditions the AWD of the VC serves better.

When they say the front is locked, that's not quite true. Only "locked" if you have a front locker. With a solid shaft you're coupled all the time, so front and rear wheels travel at the same speed, but you still have open diffs. But you should only be coupled off road as you can destroy drivetrain parts.

The VC gives better performance on ice and gravel, especially when driving winding roads where conditions may change from dry on one corner to wet and slick on the next. The VC also gives the Syncro a more "planted" feel all the time.
If you have a rear locker, then that combined with the VC will get through almost all conditions offroad. The solid shaft setup reacts quicker to deep sand and is for more hardcore offroad driving.

If you do have an aggressive (or Sport) VC, then having a decoupler is the right choice. Also you can add the decoupler (on the transmission) and see how you like it, you can always switch to a solid shaft (on front diff) later if you think you want to go that direction.
Having an aggressive VC is almost like having a solid shaft.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Good info: however, I live in Baja! haha I don't do much off road to where I need to engage the rear locker, but there's been times when I definitely needed it! That of course is as things now sit with a VC being AWD, plus the rear locker.
He said the straight shaft makes it a 4WD application and with the rear locker engage, everything is pulling together - no slip. i see your point though, didn't know there were 2 different types of VC's though unless I'm not understanding what you said.
Thanks
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

VCs can have different amounts of bite or grab depending on age, condition, and if rebuilt, the amount of silicon fluid that was loaded.

VCs can fail in an open state where it has no grab at all, or fail in a locked state where it has no give.
A stock VC will be noticeable on hot tarmac making tight turns at slow speeds, like in a parking lot, an aggressive VC will be noticeable anytime you turn fairly sharply.

Some folks like an aggressive VC because it does react quicker and provides better off road grip, however it will also put more stress on the drivetrain components/front tires from everyday driving on pavement in town, but that's what the decoupler is for! Just remember to reengage the VC on the open road for max Syncro performance.

It's up to you if you want to lose the AWD function of the VC for the part-time 4wd of a solid shaft. However, if your VC is aggressive you will want a decoupler.

You may want to try your Syncro with just the decoupler. Drive for awhile with the VC and find out how it feels coupled vs decoupled and that will help you decide.
Personally I can really tell the difference when driving the open road coupled vs decoupled. The bus just feels more planted and in control with the AWD of the VC vs running in 2wd.

There's loads more info available on the VanCafe site, the GoWesty library, and Syncro.org

livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

pindrums wrote:
Good info: however, I live in Baja! haha I don't do much off road to where I need to engage the rear locker, but there's been times when I definitely needed it! That of course is as things now sit with a VC being AWD, plus the rear locker.
He said the straight shaft makes it a 4WD application and with the rear locker engage, everything is pulling together - no slip. i see your point though, didn't know there were 2 different types of VC's though unless I'm not understanding what you said.
Thanks

I have 3 Syncro's in La Paz, Baja. Two of them triple knobs. One with a Sport VC, one with a stock VC. Both have been pretty badass in some pretty deep sand. The Sport VC I have doesnt require I stay decoupled on pavement. You will find a lot of opinions on this, but I live in the exact circumstances you are describing, syncros in Baja. The benefits to VC's are many, the downsides to solid shafts are many.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MEW8zLJ4HRs?feature=share
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: