Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Back when I had Darryl Christiansen (RIP) rebuild and regear my Syncro transaxle for the SVX engine swap, I was seriously considering the solid-shaft approach. Darryl talked me out of that and suggested a "sport" VC. My VC was quite tight already (always squealing the tires on pavement when doing tight turns) so I stuck with the VC approach. I agree with livethevanlife above and strongly suggest staying with the VC approach. Our rig has the decoupler, rear diff lock and front diff lock. It literally goes anywhere. Decoupling allows some flexibility in town and when making repairs or doing maintenance.

My original thoughts about using a solid shaft in place of the VC were based on my experiences with Toyota 4x4 vehicles, 33" tires, and the ultra-low gearing available in "Low-4". With a rear diff lock on the Toyota, I could literally crawl up rough slopes until I got some tire slip and then had to resort to using intertia (AKA taking a run at it).

Realistically, this approach is simply not available with the Vanagon Syncro because we can't run 33" tires (or 35"s for that matter) and because the (Gelander) granny gear is simply not a low enough ratio to permit that kind of crawling. So, a bit of rear wheel slip before the VC fully engages is acceptable to me and a reasonable compromise when compared with having to decouple when not on a loose surface. The drivelines in the Toyotas can easily withstand the windup that occurs in a 4WD setup, but in a $yncro, that approach gets ex$pensive.
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Good info on the VC's & decoupler stuff. I anticipate a lot of highway & medium speed dirt road driving with little (serious) off-roading - therefore my questions. I had no problems with the stock VC & single knob in my last Syncro (vehicle completely burnt up in 2019!) but was curious about upgrading to a de-coupler in this one I just bought.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

There is one additional advantage for a decoupler, and that is using a smaller spare tire that fits in the clamshell. I think most Syncro owners upgrade their wheels and tires to larger sizes. And then buy a 5th set and a tire rack for the rear. With a decoupler it is possible to use one of the older 14 inch wheels / tires that fits in the clamshell. The means saving the cost of a large wheel / tire and the rear spare mounting rack, probably $1K or more (pays for the decoupler). For me since I use the Syncro often / daily I don't have to be parking lots and swing that tire rack out of the way just to open the hatch to load the groceries.

There is one additional advantage of the straight shaft. It doesn't fail. The VC can fail open without notice and then you'll be stuck without any front wheel drive at all. Yup, my VC failed without knowing when it failed, and then discovered that while off road.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

silversync wrote:
There is one additional advantage for a decoupler, and that is using a smaller spare tire that fits in the clamshell
With a decoupler it is possible to use one of the older 14 inch wheels / tires that fits in the clamshell.

But if you use big brakes the 14" may not fit on the van as a spare.
But a 15" steel might fit with big brakes and fit in the clamshell too.
And there could be a 16 that fits in the clamshell.

There are some simple mods to fit 215/75R15, and 215/65R16 in the clamshell. (these are the MAX size that can fit between the frame rails)

But for a spare, it would be great to know what 15 or 16 wheel fits big brakes AND fits in an un-modified clamshell.
Big brake sellers should KNOW this and TELL you, and in some cases, source this spare wheel and offer it to you.

195/65R15 is 25 inches diameter, ~same as OEM. This should fit in the OEM clamshell.
195/60R16 is 25.2 inches diameter, ~same as OEM. This should fit in the OEM clamshell.
Maybe some 205s?

--------

In the past this issue was not examined very well because it was 'thought' that you still had to have all four tires same size - even when decoupled.
This is not true.
VC-safety is one of the _top reasons_ to add a decoupler, it lets you keep driving a Syncro if you're ever in a situation where the tire sizes are unequal.

It does not erase the assault to your dignity
while you're out there in public,
driving around with funny wheels,
but it does get you home while eliminating any mechanical problems from un-matched wheel diameters.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pindrums
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Well, my previous Syncro (which burnt up) had "big" 14" tires (I forget the exact size), and I had to buy an aftermarket front fastening kit, plus fabricate rear shackles to lower the clamshell to get my spare to fit. It worked but hung down low and bottomed out occasionally offroad. [Looked stupid too!]. My best option then and now [for me], is putting it up inside, against the left-side wall (right behind the driver's seat). Easy to get to (important!), out of the way (an empty tin top) - the bed opens up fine into it, etc... So, I think I've decided on what to do based on responses here with my original question; now not sure if I should change out the driveshaft or just leave it. It's not giving me any problems. Thanks for all answers!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

pindrums wrote:
not sure if I should change out the driveshaft or just leave it. It's not giving me any problems.!

A quiet OEM driveshaft is a beautiful thing.
I think one way (could be) to avoid disturbing the OEM u-joints (if they are still good).
They are 'shimmed' from the factory to center them and I don't know how you'd re-create that balance if you disassembled & replaced the u-joints.
Maybe you get lucky in your assembly?
Or maybe it vibrates with the new u-joints but you don't have any way to quantify that?
Maybe you rarely drive more than 40mph?
Dunno.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Here's a pic (from the thread referenced below) It's an OEM driveshaft with the cup shimmed inward (by VW or Steyr-Puch).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Same driveshaft, different cup. Notice there is NO shim. Maybe this was for driveshaft balance?

How-to: Syncro - Needle grease original driveshaft u-joints
I drilled the u-joint cups and pumped fresh grease in, old grease out ( 😎😎 ).
I did this at 180k miles (Jun 2019), and it's still silent at 224k (Nov 2022).
It had one "dry bearing" (of the 8 ) and I was bummed.
But I kept moving, pumped the dust out and 45,000 miles later it's still silent.
The u-joint angle is so little (4°) it seems like they could last a long time, perhaps wearing out only if it gets dry (???)

This is not an "easy DIY". Drilling 'bearing caps' with carbide bits requires higher-level hard-headedness.
It depends on your skill level or your posse. But you don't have to do it 'under the van' like in the thread.
I didn't even kknow how drilling one cup was gonna go. But it went well so I decided to drill the other 7 without removing the driveshaft. It was fast, and it was good!.
There's lots who can do it, you just gotta find that person and buy the tools.
Which cost substantially less than a new driveshaft. And perhaps you need luck too.

There's also the brass bushings in the Guibo (pronounced jew-bo🤣) connection that should probably be serviced about now.

Note that "silent" is relative.
It's really hard to know what's 'silent' especially if you have off-road tires.
I've heard folks say "It was silent then the decoupler broke apart".
What was happening up to the point a decoupler broke apart, was more mayhem than 'silence', but I wasn't there listening.....
I don't think they were lying at all, 4x4 vehicle noise is a matter of perspective and "silent" is actually not a very good word to use, ever, for a vehicle, and certainly not for a 35 year old 4x4.
PLUS, the noise creeps up on you.
Each time you drive it's only incrementally louder than last time.
Very easy to overlook the escalation (if you don't have anyone to compare to).

The BEST Syncro drive shaft indicator I've heard is from one of the original Syncro experts, Mr Lengyel.
He says:
    Look at your rearview mirror at speeds of 40-45mph.
    If headlights are crystal -clear it's probably good.
    If they are not crystal clear you may have driveshaft vibration.
    If you see "little circles" then unbolt your driveshaft now.

40-45mph is for 4.86 gearing (most USA Syncros)
If you have 5.43 I suppose the speed is 35-39 mph
If you have 6.17 ----> 31-34 mph

super-sorry to hear of that burnt-up Syncro😭😭😭

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

livethevanlife wrote:
pindrums wrote:
Good info: however, I live in Baja! haha I don't do much off road to where I need to engage the rear locker, but there's been times when I definitely needed it! That of course is as things now sit with a VC being AWD, plus the rear locker.
He said the straight shaft makes it a 4WD application and with the rear locker engage, everything is pulling together - no slip. i see your point though, didn't know there were 2 different types of VC's though unless I'm not understanding what you said.
Thanks

I have 3 Syncro's in La Paz, Baja. Two of them triple knobs. One with a Sport VC, one with a stock VC. Both have been pretty badass in some pretty deep sand. The Sport VC I have doesnt require I stay decoupled on pavement. You will find a lot of opinions on this, but I live in the exact circumstances you are describing, syncros in Baja. The benefits to VC's are many, the downsides to solid shafts are many.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MEW8zLJ4HRs?feature=share

I'm considering a decoupler + sport VC. I think Syncro Jael had this arrangement. I'm not finding the VC coupling strength options on the Van Cafe site right now. They had a nice description of the VC options before. This will be combined with my factory 4.86 locking transaxle (and possibly a Peloquin). I also have a front locker. It will be a triple knob syncro eventually.

My question is when would you use a sport VC on the pavement, and when would you decouple it? Can you break anything with a sport viscous coupler incorrectly engaged? My syncro gets driven by family members, so there's always the "what's this switch do?" scenario. I'm going to hook up the control panel so when all 3 knobs are in, it's decoupled and all unlocked (to thwart incorrect usage). Maybe a "NO" placard above it too Laughing

Link

Also, I know this subject has been asked before, but what's the most reliable decoupler type that's currently available? I'm budgeting my trans overhaul. I'm linking a few good decoupler threads below for reference. Thanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=760888&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723617&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419944&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613115&highlight=decoupler

Last edited by tjet on Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
decoupler type that's currently available? I'm budgeting my trans overhaul. Thanks.

Are ANY available at the moment? I do not see anyone with stock.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
livethevanlife wrote:
pindrums wrote:
Good info: however, I live in Baja! haha I don't do much off road to where I need to engage the rear locker, but there's been times when I definitely needed it! That of course is as things now sit with a VC being AWD, plus the rear locker.
He said the straight shaft makes it a 4WD application and with the rear locker engage, everything is pulling together - no slip. i see your point though, didn't know there were 2 different types of VC's though unless I'm not understanding what you said.
Thanks

I have 3 Syncro's in La Paz, Baja. Two of them triple knobs. One with a Sport VC, one with a stock VC. Both have been pretty badass in some pretty deep sand. The Sport VC I have doesnt require I stay decoupled on pavement. You will find a lot of opinions on this, but I live in the exact circumstances you are describing, syncros in Baja. The benefits to VC's are many, the downsides to solid shafts are many.

https://youtube.com/shorts/MEW8zLJ4HRs?feature=share

I'm considering a decoupler + sport VC. I think Syncro Jael had this arrangement. I'm not finding the VC coupling strength options on the Van Cafe site right now. They had a nice description of the VC options before. This will be combined with my factory 4.86 locking transaxle (and possibly a Peloquin). I also have a front locker. It will be a triple knob syncro eventually.

My question is when would you use a sport VC on the pavement, and when would you decouple it? Can you break anything with a sport viscous coupler incorrectly engaged? My syncro gets driven by family members, so there's always the "what's this switch do?" scenario. I'm going to hook up the control panel so when all 3 knobs are in, it's decoupled and all unlocked (to thwart incorrect usage). Maybe a "NO" placard above it too Laughing

Link

Also, I know this subject has been asked before, but what's the most reliable decoupler type that's currently available? I'm budgeting my trans overhaul. I'm linking a few good decoupler threads below for reference. Thanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=760888&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723617&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419944&highlight=decoupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613115&highlight=decoupler

I have not noticed my sport vc to be much more aggressive on pavement versus my old possibly tired stock VC. Id need to drive a van with both VC's new side by side to be sure, but for me I run in 4wd on the highway quite often and will sometimes decouple around town when I have some tight parking to do. I think the sport VC is probably the way to go for most people who want to keep a VC setup thats used in 99% of scenarios.
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

livethevanlife wrote:
I have not noticed my sport vc to be much more aggressive on pavement versus my old possibly tired stock VC. Id need to drive a van with both VC's new side by side to be sure, but for me I run in 4wd on the highway quite often and will sometimes decouple around town when I have some tight parking to do. I think the sport VC is probably the way to go for most people who want to keep a VC setup thats used in 99% of scenarios.

Thanks for the update.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

I like the way the van drives in AWD.
I like that it pulls with two R&Ps, which relieves duty on the rear R&P.
I like the decoupler because I'm a Syncro nut and there's no way on god's green earth I would NOT have one (or at least be on the hunt for one).
I'd go for the VanCafe / Syncroshop unit because it has the tightest tolerance bearings that support the little 4" long stub shaft inside 'the best'.
For the least possible chance of driveshaft vibrations.

WRT Viscous Coupler options....
I'd go for a Sport VC for my style of off-road.
I'd want it to lock up quickly, aggressively.
If I had a sport VC, I would do my 'tight/town' maneuvers slowly whenever possible.
Perhaps decoupling, if I was going to be in town all day.
If you are observant, and understand your AWD system, you can tell when it's binding.
Binding is NOT dangerous. It's just higher loading at that moment.

-------

When I do quick, tight maneuvers on pavement, I can feel it.
If I do the maneuvers slowly, I cannot feel it; because it's not locking up.

For example:
If I do a tight u-turn, somewhat aggressively because of heavy traffic etc, I can feel it binding up.
Those times I wish I would have decoupled (with 20/20 hindsight).
But you can't decouple during a 'fast move'.

I bet slow, gentle drivers don't stress a VC/drivetrain anyway.

Now.....
if the family member driving this expensive antique fulla NLA parts......
is a teenage male known to drive with reckless abandon.....
that could be different.

===============

If your tight-turn maneuvers are usually gentle, slow, don't worry about it.
If your tight-turn maneuvers are OFTEN abrupt, quick, then decoupling may preserve your Viscous Coupler.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Ok, I just signed up at Van Cafe to notify me when their decouplers are back in stock.

Can you install a decoupler with the transaxle installed? I don't want to hold up my rebuild.

Sodo, would you install a sport VC and no decoupler?

Cheers
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Cheers

I run a sport VC and no decoupler. Works perfectly fine.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

I doubt the shim under the circlip is for balancing purposes, I mean it does in a way to center the U-joint but the primary purpose must have been there to help having a tight fit with the circlip bc of machining discrepancies.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
....Can you install a decoupler with the transaxle installed? I don't want to hold up my rebuild.....

Yes.
Just drop the engine side of the driveshaft, a couple bolts on the nosecone will be a pain to reach but doable. Fish around for the light pigtail, it's zip tied up on top of the frame rail with other wires just about under where the fuel filter lives. Then you'll need to add the vacuum lines up to the dash and back with a splice into the main vac line supplying the rear locker (should be the black one).

Taking care of the light pigtail and vac lines will obviously be easier with the transmission out.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Yes of course.
If you’re on pavement, just do your maneuvering “slowly”.
The VC will slip.
……until you get your decoupler then you can go back to donuts.

Link

It’s supposed to slip at engine idle, then climb over when you raise the RPM to 1200,1500.
It climbs over the block below 1,000 RPM.

I think my current VC is rather “sporty”, don’t ya think?
I borrowed this front diff (complete with its VC) and know nothing about it.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Drive Shaft Decouplers Reply with quote

Yes very sporty Cool

The breaker bar was a good way to show the resistance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: