Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 Purist Help Needed- France Specs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Purist Help Needed- France Specs Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
i know that in Fr they run yellow headlamps. Was that true in 1964? What lenses should the side markers have? Turnsignals? Taillamps? Any special reflectors or other equipment mandated in France?
Any info would be appreciated.

They no longer run yellow headlamps in France (EU laws), but white H4, or newer bulbs (H3, H7...). But it was yellow 40/45W CE (code européen) for sure in 1964. Turnsignals were orange bullet type, taillights orange/red european (not flat style), side markers white/red like already mentioned. About the rear reflectors, I had a pair of these that came with a lot of parts back in the days when I was living in France, and didn't even know it was a french spec Shocked . I wasn't connected to Thesamba at that time Sad . I didn't have a '64 notch back then, the oldest I had was a '65 square and it didn't have those. It had the "standard" ones like I actually have on my '67 that I brought from France.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Purist Help Needed- France Specs Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
Tram wrote:
i know that in Fr they run yellow headlamps. Was that true in 1964? What lenses should the side markers have? Turnsignals? Taillamps? Any special reflectors or other equipment mandated in France?
Any info would be appreciated.

They no longer run yellow headlamps in France (EU laws), but white H4, or newer bulbs (H3, H7...). But it was yellow 40/45W CE (code européen) for sure in 1964. Turnsignals were orange bullet type, taillights orange/red european (not flat style), side markers white/red like already mentioned. About the rear reflectors, I had a pair of these that came with a lot of parts back in the days when I was living in France, and didn't even know it was a french spec Shocked . I wasn't connected to Thesamba at that time Sad . I didn't have a '64 notch back then, the oldest I had was a '65 square and it didn't have those. It had the "standard" ones like I actually have on my '67 that I brought from France.

Pierre

Hey Bro I am glad you read this I was gonna send you the link since TRAM needs help wow I wish you still had the reflectors I would buy them from you and put in my show case.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Purist Help Needed- France Specs Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:

Hey Bro I am glad you read this I was gonna send you the link since TRAM needs help wow I wish you still had the reflectors I would buy them from you and put in my show case.

Hi Don,
Yeah, unfortunately, I didn't bring them with me when I moved back to New Caledonia. I had too many parts, so I sold and gave a lot of them. I can't even remember who had those reflectors Embarassed ...
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: 1500 Purist Help Needed- France Specs Reply with quote

For best optical effect, have your headlight and fog light reflectors resilvered, not silver spray painted or chromed. There are folks in Portland, OR who can do this for you:

http://www.realsteel.com/headlight.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RTKings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason-

Those rear reflectors pictured on page 1 of the post are French-issued rear reflectors. Much like Sweden has the big reflectors, and Italy had the clear front lenses, the French type 3's got those special lenses from the factory, or were dealer-installed once the car entered France.............
'79 Super Beetle Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTKings wrote:
Jason-

Those rear reflectors pictured on page 1 of the post are French-issued rear reflectors. Much like Sweden has the big reflectors, and Italy had the clear front lenses, the French type 3's got those special lenses from the factory, or were dealer-installed once the car entered France.............

Yeah but how do we know for sure? Where is the paper trail??

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '65 Notch S was an original French delivery, has the French import plate under the front hood. I have those same rear reflector lenses. Still not the smoking gun paper trail but more antidotal evidence those reflector lenses are correct French reflectors.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I may be willing to swap my reflector lenses for a good set of non-French reflector lenses. I'm not trying to keep my car 100% accurate and I don't expect I'll ever want to spend the money to get a perfect second French lense. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by GearheadJim on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
RTKings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
Jason-

M Code 281 - for France, Algeria, Morroco - special reflectors and yellow head lamp bulbs up to chassis 316 500 000, models 311-318, 361-368

Very Happy
'79 Super Beetle Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTKings wrote:
notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
Jason-

M Code 281 - for France, Algeria, Morroco - special reflectors and yellow head lamp bulbs up to chassis 316 500 000, models 311-318, 361-368

Very Happy

Applause

Thank you, took long enough Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those funky concave headlights are just weird enough to be cool.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
Jason-

Very Happy

Applause

I posted that M-Code up 3 years ago in this thread!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoss wrote:
notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
notchboy wrote:
RTKings wrote:
Jason-

Very Happy

Applause

I posted that M-Code up 3 years ago in this thread!

If Id of seen that I would of made fun of it instead of the speculation!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I have a 64 French notch, it has push pull switches not push buttons, it has the French import plate and the reflectors, the clock and fuel guage are white needle but the speedo is red. And I believe that he speedo is original based on the date on the back, the reflectors are indeed for French cars. I also had a 64 French square which had one reflector intact. My square was a push button model, the vin was around 200 before 400,000

12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I have a 64 French notch, it has push pull switches not push buttons, it has the French import plate and the reflectors, the clock and fuel guage are white needle but the speedo is red. And I believe that he speedo is original based on the date on the back, the reflectors are indeed for French cars. I also had a 64 French square which had one reflector intact. My square was a push button model, the vin was around 200 before 400,000

The push button switch was discontinued during the 1964 model year at chassis 423 139 which would explain why you had one with it and one without.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: