Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is a good size compressor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Molzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 60 gallon 220 volt upright air compressor from Harbor Frieght about 3 years ago to paint my Nissan Sentra. It ran all of my air tools including my HVLP, DA sander, and other high air consumption tools without a problem. It so happens that it is exactly like the Kobalt model sold at my local Lowes store for significantly cheaper price. I know that a lot of people think Harbor Freight tools are cheaper because many are made in China, but after all, almost all name brand tools are now made in China anyway. Also, I have not had any problems with this unit since I have owned it. I unfortunatly had a lady run a red light and total the car this January. The insurance adjuster commented on how nice the paint job was for the car's age (1999) he didn't realize it had been repainted. I hope this helps, Mike
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promoti...67501.html

They have this on sale at Harbour Frieght this weekend. It has 125 PSI, but it doesn't list CFM.

Any thoughts (besides "if it's HF it's junk)?
1972 VW Squareback (Autobahn in the Sky - July 1987)
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertjm wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promoti...67501.html

They have this on sale at Harbour Frieght this weekend. It has 125 PSI, but it doesn't list CFM.

Any thoughts (besides "if it's HF it's junk)?

Quote:
Air delivery: 4.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 5.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks how. Couldn't be more obvious. Embarassed
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertjm wrote:
Thanks how. Couldn't be more obvious. Embarassed

Don't feel bad, I have done the exact thing and probably just about everyone on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm about to set up a 60 gallon, 5 HP compressor at my shop, and have a question that I don't see as having been addressed here before. What would you all recommend for an inline filter/dryer for general use? My intentions are to use air for grinding, cutting, polishing, air ratchet/tools, and yes, spray painting. In other words; a multitude of uses. I don't want to spend a fortune, and I see that Eastwood carries a few models in the $200-$400 range. Anybody know of a good source for a deal on a decent quality filter?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this thread is rarely responded to anymore, but I'll ask here for fear of making somebody angry by starting a new thread Smile

Are there any compressors out there that are 110v that can handle an HVLP gun and some sanding?

I need to buy a compressor to do work on my bus, but a) I can't afford a professional body shop one that everybody demands you have if you are going to do any sort of body work, and b) it really isn't worth the money for occasional hobby usage to buy one of those... finally, c) my garage is not equipped with 220v, so that makes it even harder. The best I have found in my hours long searching seems to be this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916474000P

It offers 7.2 SCFM @ 40psi, and 5.8 SCFM @ 90psi. I know this is below any of the 220v ones, however, the HVLP spray guns say they only require 5.1-5.5 on the ones that I have seen.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak to the quality, but the CFM certainly should cover it. Check out Craigslist, if you don't mind buying used. I ended up getting a Devilbis used for $150, which gives out 8.2 40 psi!

odecom5 wrote:
Looks like this thread is rarely responded to anymore, but I'll ask here for fear of making somebody angry by starting a new thread Smile

Are there any compressors out there that are 110v that can handle an HVLP gun and some sanding?

I need to buy a compressor to do work on my bus, but a) I can't afford a professional body shop one that everybody demands you have if you are going to do any sort of body work, and b) it really isn't worth the money for occasional hobby usage to buy one of those... finally, c) my garage is not equipped with 220v, so that makes it even harder. The best I have found in my hours long searching seems to be this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916474000P

It offers 7.2 SCFM @ 40psi, and 5.8 SCFM @ 90psi. I know this is below any of the 220v ones, however, the HVLP spray guns say they only require 5.1-5.5 on the ones that I have seen.

BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odecom5 wrote:

The HVLP spray gun isn't as much a problem with smaller compressors, but if using an air sander you'll find you really need a lot of air. With my Mirka 5" air sander working away, I find my 240 volt 20 gallon compressor just runs continuously. I think a unit powered on 110 would have trouble keeping up. Maybe someone with a differing experience will chime in.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be ok for painting, but should just buy electric sanders.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You should be ok for painting, but should just buy electric sanders.

Oh that was my other question... is there any real difference with electric random orbit sanders other than weight?

Thank you both for the insight! Smile
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have an electric dryer you can plug a single phase 220v compressor into the dryer outlet.

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
Kudagra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volksair.

I might have $500. But i'm a scrounger. I got my 60 gallon tank for free. I have a video of it running somewhere. Now that i'm moving my shop to a commercial area I can run it anytime of the night. Much to the displeasure of my soon to be neighbors i'm sure.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odecom5 wrote:

From my experience, you need at least 20 cfm to handle steady use of most auto body sanders and paint guns. Especially when painting an all over job. However, a way around this with a smaller compressor is to work small areas at a time. HVLP guns still require lots of air volume to maintain a consistent pressure on a large job. Nothing will ruin a paint job faster than constantly having to adjust your air pressure at the gun halfway through a coat of clear. Most runs come from low air pressure and poor atomization of the paint droplets. In other words, not enough pressure and you are globbing larger droplets on vs fine particles of paint.

I have sprayed in all conditions, and if air is an issue break the job into smaller sections so you can maintain pressure for an entire coat, then let compressors charge back up between coats. And electric orbital sanders can work better than pneumatic if air volume is a problem.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can plug a 220v single phase compressor into an electric dryer outlet.

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever work with a rotary screw compressors? Instant psi and cfm plus there is no tank, noise or pressure pulse. Not cheap but dream setup. Wink
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
nice dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-gallon-165-psi-two-stage-air-compressor-93274.html#.UxKf8PldWDU
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Anyone ever work with a rotary screw compressors? Instant psi and cfm plus there is no tank, noise or pressure pulse. Not cheap but dream setup. Wink

The shop I worked at had two of them. You can't get no better.
scottmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my original compressor state's 8@40 6.5 @90. With a 20 gallon tank. I want to tie a 26 gallon tank to it so the total will be 46 gallons. My other option is 46 gallons with the two tanks but the motor is 220 volts and the compressor is rated @ 9@40 7.5@90. Now the question is 220 v or 110v. I can go either way. I need to add more power to the garage anyways so which should I build. No Sanders or blast cabinets. I'm only looking for a good storage capacity for a hvlp. I already have the extra romex for 110 but if 220 is the way to go i don't care about the cost.
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any good recommendations for a 110v 60-80 gallon compressor? Budget isn't really an issue, but I'd like to be under $800 if possible. Mostly just needed for paint gun and impacts. Probably less for sanding, etc, but might use it for that if it can hold up.

I've read this thread several times over the last several years. Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: