Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lets see your rims FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxshov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

The first pic is with p205/75/14

73 Bay Window
05 Tundra
12 Scion
93 HD Softtail
18 NX 2500
I need a bigger garage.
justabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
#wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

Do it. You'll love them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hey I like these!
What size are the tires?
I have a doka to put them on.
1969 Single Cab
1970 Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justabug wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Do it. You'll love them.

hey I like these!
What size are the tires?

if they are 14's - which they look like - then they are now unubtainium in that diameter and discontinued. 15's on the other hand.......

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crone-aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

I picked up a set of wheels that came off a 71 westy, with the intent to widen them an extra inch depth wise (14" x 6.5"). I've located a place that can do it here in SoCal, but was wondering if anyone has rocked a similar set up and had any experiences with it? Gonna comb through both the tire sticky thread and this one, but I just wanted put the question out there before I start searchin'.

This is the set I picked up for $40, caps were thrown in as well as a spare wheel...

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Take lots of measurements. You should be able to get them exactly where you want them to be if you measure and document carefully.

Looking forward to the outcome of this.
Spicoli801
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justabug wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Do it. You'll love them.

hey I like these!
What size are the tires?

I am way late to the party. Yes, 195/75/14 BFGs. They last forever. I still have them, just on different wheels on a different bus. Id buy them again if i could.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Spioli, Those rims are nice, and I really like the look of your bus. It’s bad-ass cool.

What are you running for tires?
Spicoli801
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

JimmieH
It’s Spicoli, you know fast times at ridgmont high? Thanks for the compliment!! So these wheels still have winter tires on them when I got them from an Audi A6
They are winter cat 215/50r17. They are standard load (passenger). I will replace the with LT load tires when I buy new ones. My van is not a camper, just a transporter. I’m not too worried about sidewall. I only have a rear seat in the back. I had to bore out the center of the wheels to fit over the front dust caps, wheel spacers for the rear to clear the spring plate. I bought longer lug studs from T3 Technique. Thanks to Samba forums I didn’t have to figure all that out on my own. I ended up painting them white because I couldn’t match the chrome-ish color. I have always wanted bigger/ different wheels on my van. I’m really stoked I finally got them on! I still have the original wheels, and the hubcaps still fit over the longer studs.
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

3 pc Fuchs/BBS wheels, no adapters. fronts 8x16 w/5" backspacing, 225/50/16's. Rear 9x17 w/6" backspacing, 1/4" spacers, 245/40/17's. Rear fenders slightly flared for clearance.
This is in my gallery, no idea why it doesn't show.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2013392.jpg[/img
crone-aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

crone-aircooled wrote:
I picked up a set of wheels that came off a 71 westy, with the intent to widen them an extra inch depth wise (14" x 6.5"). I've located a place that can do it here in SoCal, but was wondering if anyone has rocked a similar set up and had any experiences with it? Gonna comb through both the tire sticky thread and this one, but I just wanted put the question out there before I start searchin'.

This is the set I picked up for $40, caps were thrown in as well as a spare wheel...

Update: Wheels have been widened and powder coated. Getting some quotes on tires this week, hope to have a photo of everything said and done by then.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

gumbajv wrote:
3 pc Fuchs/BBS wheels, no adapters. fronts 8x16 w/5" backspacing, 225/50/16's. Rear 9x17 w/6" backspacing, 1/4" spacers, 245/40/17's. Rear fenders slightly flared for clearance.
This is in my gallery, no idea why it doesn't show.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2013392.jpg[/img

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Here are mine:

17x7 repop Fuchs wheels from CIP
Wagenswest Slambay Special (4" beam, 2.5" spindles, 3.25" drop plates)
Fronts: 205/45/17
Rears: 205/50/17

Ride quality as good as stock. No rubbing at current height (even loaded with a family of 5). Full lock to lock turning up front with no rubbing.

Any lower up front and you would need to tub the front or run shorter tires. Any lower in the rear and you would need to notch the frame for the CV shaft.

Figured I'd update my setup.

Now running Porsche Boxster wheels (Razor twists I believe??).

Front: 17x7 et55, 205/50-17 w/Porsche Cayman brakes
Note: I gained +16mm from the 944 front hub, so this would be roughly equivalent to a 17x7 et40 on a stock disk setup

Rear: 17x8.5 et48, 235/45-17 w/stock drums redrilled to 5x130 & 13mm spacers
Note: I had to round off the leading edge of the drop plate ever so slightly with a flap disk because the wheel hoop just kissed it in one spot. This is just about all the wheel and tire you can reasonably squeeze under the stock fender well. No modifications have been done to the fender lip with this setup.

Still Wagenswest Slambay Special (4" beam, 2.5" spindles, 3.25" drop plates)

Front tires now being a 50 series get a little rub on the bump below the seat stand at full lock. Did not do that before with the shorter 45's on it. No rubbing in the rear at all. Again, this is at its limits with lowering unless your going to notch the frame and tub the front.

More pics in the gallery

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Im going with the same Slam Bay Special, 4" narrowed beam with 2.5" drop spindles and 3.5" horseshoe plates. What are you guys running for shocks on front and rear? I cant seem to find a clear answer or part number for shorter shocks that will work with this setup.

Thanks!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Chrysler rims with 5/8" spacer adapters. Rims are 16" & running 215/65/16 Nokian WR3 SUV load rated tires.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations on tires for 16" x 7.5" wheels and mildly lowered with the Slam Bay Special?
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
Anyone have recommendations on tires for 16" x 7.5" wheels and mildly lowered with the Slam Bay Special?

A lot depends on your backspacing for that wheel. With a lowered bus, the rears usually have clearance issues with any positive backspace (larger lip). That's why you see so many flat face and small lip wheels needing to be used. Can you mock the bare wheels up on your bus and see clearance? That will give you a great idea how wide/ large of a tire you can run. Post your wheel specs and we'll try to help out.
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

I might go with these from CIP1, something different I do see a lot. They are 16x7.5 with 23mm offset and 5.2" backspacing.

https://www2.cip1.com/acc-c10-6599-chr/
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
I might go with these from CIP1, something different I do see a lot. They are 16x7.5 with 23mm offset and 5.2" backspacing.

https://www2.cip1.com/acc-c10-6599-chr/

Lots to unpack here:

For that wheel, you're looking at a 8.5" actual width rim, with a backspace of 5.16" and front space of 3.34". The stock 14" VW wheels were 5.5" width and 39mm offset (4.79BS/ 1.71FS). So the vanagon wheels you linked stick out 1 5/8" more on the fender side than the stock wheel. That's pretty significant, so your best bet would be to mock them up at ride height with your suspension lowered to see clearances. Different buses also have variations in the fender opening as well so there is no clear cut recipe. Also depends on how low you are planning to go. For reference, I have a set of 17x7 ET40 (2.42"FS) with 205/50r17 in the rear as well as a set of 15x5.5 ET13 (2.74"FS) with 205/65r15 and both clear fine, but are very close. The wheels you linked will have 1/2"+ more front space than what I have.

If you're looking to get a definitive "yes this will fit" before you buy, I won't say it. I think you would have fitment issues with that wheel, but again it matters how low you're going. Another issue with that wheel is the overall width. Without stretching (rounding) a tire to fit it, you'd be at a minimum of a 215 width tire, which is pretty big. And this is only touching on the rear clearances. The front usually isnt as big of a deal with a narrowed beam. You would just need to raise it up until the clearance issues were resolved (not ideal). I also realize I didn't touch on tire heights, but can if needed. Proper clearance comes first.

At the end of the day, there's probably a good reason you don't see that wheel being used on any slammed baywindows. Feel free to Dm if needed. Hope this helps.
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lets see your rims FAQ Reply with quote

Cant thank you enough for the help and info! Looks like Im going to go with the same setup that Vee Dub Nut did a few posts up instead then, since I am going to ride at similar height as him and have the same exact setup, and it worked for him. Thanks again!

"17x7 repop Fuchs wheels from CIP
Wagenswest Slambay Special (4" beam, 2.5" spindles, 3.25" drop plates)
Fronts: 205/45/17
Rears: 205/50/17"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: