Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Logos - A sort of How-To (by request)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Logos - A sort of How-To (by request) Reply with quote

Well, I just put pix up and already velvetgreen contacted me about the details of dropping logos onto a bus simply and cheaply. So bear with me...here's how I did it.

First, I only learned about stencils from the Hoodride forums...and I only found *that* because of the Hoodride Radio podcast...so credit where it's due and check it out.

So I've wanted to put logos on the bus for a long time, but what to do for a camper? Crofty suggested some campground somewhere...cool! So since my camper's from Oregon, I searched for a private campground out there and found Trail's End Campground in Cave Junction. Cool name for the place and the town! Very Happy

So in Photoshop I created a new 300dpi grayscale image (about 14h X 18w) onto which I drew a tree and then added the text in what's called "Paint Peel" font. The campground name was about a 240pt font and the town name was closer to 200pt. All of that was done in black.

But it was too big for a printer, so I carefully carved the image up into pieces that would fit on 8.5 X 11 and then printed four separate pieces onto cut-up manila folder (you need something thicker to hold up against the paint).

I basically then spent four hours over two days cutting out the black with a box cutter. Mind-numbing work! But after it was all assembled, it basically looked like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since I was going for an aged look anyway, I didn't bother to clean the door first. I taped the stencil to the door first and then taped pages from an old Newsweek around it to catch the overspray. Since the door is curved, I was careful to make sure it laid as flat as possible.

For paint, I just used a dark green glossy primer that I have a few cans of at home. Real simple rattle can stuff. You can use any color you want, really. Shake, shake, shake, and then I just sprayed it gentle, light, and smooth over the stencil. Just hit, hit, hit, hit rather than hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit all over. That causes drips.

Here's the result on the driver door:

When I repeated the process on the passenger side door, the can started crapping out on me, so it didn't turn out as smooth, but it works with the aged look.

Now, the only thing I'm planning to do after this is in about a week...after the paint has *seriously* had time to set in and cure and all that...I am gonna grab some fine sand paper and just scrape over it gently to age it a little more.

And that's about it, really. Smile If anyone else has tips and tricks, share 'em! And I know that, by no means, is this the only way to do them. I know UZI and Crofty have taken different approaches with awesome results!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylor, looks good, nice job. one thing that may also help overspray from drifting in beind the stencil in the image area is a light dusting of spray adhesive on the back of the stencil. too much and it'll be stuck and tear apart when you lift if off. be sure to let the spray adhesive dry for a couple minutes before hanging the stencil in position.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same sort of thing but to get the "old" look after it was dry I took some 2000 grit wet sand to it until I got that look I wanted, then I buffed the door (and the rest of the car) till it polished out real nice.

The checkerboard came from Aggro Jo as a sticker.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. I'll keep it in mind for future projects (re: UZI's post).

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours maling doing this? should have spent a couple fixin stuff near door handle,before stencil. Very Happy when you coming back down to san diego for another cookout?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
4 hours maling doing this? should have spent a couple fixin stuff near door handle,before stencil. Very Happy when you coming back down to san diego for another cookout?

Naw, I like the bus the way it is. A lil crusty is cool with me. And the plan this far out is to make it down for FF12...we'll see how that goes with the school year about to start.

///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
I did the same sort of thing but to get the "old" look after it was dry I took some 2000 grit wet sand to it until I got that look I wanted, then I buffed the door (and the rest of the car) till it polished out real nice.

Saw you in Rancho the other day at the corner of Zinfandel and White rock. Looking good!
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the stencil on the door of my bus, I printed it off on two pages of computer paper. Then I covered both sides of it with contact paper. Cut it out with a razor blade and youre good to go.

KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Taylor...

I was fortunate to have some vinyl stencils mailed to me! Very Happy

And access to a paint booth....I sprayed mine with single stage paint...

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read about your logos on the hoodride forum. You lucked out with some really fancy ones! Smile

Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Saw you in Rancho the other day at the corner of Zinfandel and White rock. Looking good!

Thanks, I work in that area.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Bro, I think he was trying to pick up on you......
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work guys I might be redoing mine.. I chose the name of my wife's nail salon. I figured the bus gets looks all the time might as well get her name out there.. Mine was cut out of heavy printer paper in a 200pt font she uses as her logo at work. here's the driver's door.

made a clickable thumbnail pic cause it is so big.. oh and instead of spraying it I used a brush and flat black latex paint..
The SBS #62

Red Hot Ad Specialties & Stuff...
Shirts and hoodies for shows or clubs.. we ship world wide...
www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

LMFAO, I thought the same thing!

Fuck, now everyones gonna have logos on their bus now. I guess I might as well order some randars and some drop spindles... Crying or Very sad

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Erik G wrote:

LMFAO, I thought the same thing!

Fuck, now everyones gonna have logos on their bus now. I guess I might as well order some randars and some drop spindles... Crying or Very sad

and repro hurst bars

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
middleburgebus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uzi do you have a bigger pic of your avtar
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

What? No KCW narrowed beam? Wink

rusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

and repro hurst bars

Those aren't played out yet. After I go to my first show with mine on, they might become played out. They will definitely be played out when jeremy starts making them for bays. He's going to be issuing $100 refunds to everyone who bought one for a split to compensate for the decrease in value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
Looks good Taylor...

I was fortunate to have some vinyl stencils mailed to me! Very Happy

And access to a paint booth....I sprayed mine with single stage paint...

You did a great job on yours too.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool and it came out really well! Up in the PNW I see a lot of State campgrounds that always have a spot for "campground host" or something similar. Usually some hardcore campers, too. You should add that to your door!

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: