Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year is this gas tank
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: What year is this gas tank Reply with quote

What year is this gas tank? What is that extra pipe coming out of the middle of the top? This came out of a 79 bus. What year fuel sending unit should I use to replace bad one shown?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The PO teed the fuel feed line and the pressure regulator line together close to the tank. I've read in this forum that has been done before. Thanks for any comments.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72-mid 73.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a late bay.
(sold - but not forgotten)
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
72-mid 73.

Thanks busdaddy. I guess I should replace the sending unit with one from those years.

About the extra pipe coming out the top. What was it used for? Just curious on that. More importantly, does anyone think it would be a good idea to route the gas pressure regulator return line into the gas tank compartment and hook it into that top pipe, which right now is plugged with a wooden dowel? I would have to drill a hole into the gas tank compartment and use a grommet to protect the line.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kowpeki wrote:
About the extra pipe coming out the top. What was it used for? Just curious on that. More importantly, does anyone think it would be a good idea to route the gas pressure regulator return line into the gas tank compartment and hook it into that top pipe, which right now is plugged with a wooden dowel? I would have to drill a hole into the gas tank compartment and use a grommet to protect the line.

You'd have to look at the pipe inside the tank with a mirror through the sender hole to see where it goes but with the proper connections I don't see why it wouldn't work for a return line, it was originally part of the vapor vent system in conjunction with the smaller pipes on the sides. Later tanks ditched the center fitting and just have the side connections, you'll want to retain that feature as the gas cap doesn't vent on a 68+ bus. The sender you want is the tube style used on 68- mid 73 buses.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
kowpeki wrote:
More importantly, does anyone think it would be a good idea to route the gas pressure regulator return line into the gas tank compartment and hook it into that top pipe...

You'd have to look at the pipe inside the tank with a mirror through the sender hole to see where it goes but with the proper connections I don't see why it wouldn't work for a return line...

Well, another important question. Is it worth the effort? Or is teeing the pressure regulator return line into the fuel feed at the bottom considered an acceptable solution? Or is this a point of controversy?

busdaddy wrote:
The sender you want is the tube style used on 68- mid 73 buses.

Sweet, thanks for the help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely better if you can avoid the Tee, some have done it but there is the possibility of vaporlock or cavitation, circulating the entire tank contents is better than recycling the small amount in the lines.

Слава Україні!
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it, I'll try to post with my final decision on this. Thinking strongly toward avoiding the tee and using that extra fitting on top.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the tank in my 72. I was considering adding FI to it a while ago and was advised to add the extra return line to the tank verses the t.

I haven't gotten around to doing it yet but I was thinking about using one of the breather lines on top of the tank. Let me know what you do and how it works out.

What I have always wondered is wouldn't the returning fuel if routed to the bottom of the tank instead of the top need to defeat the gravity flow of fuel leaving the tank?

Most fuel tanks I have seen have the return line at the top of the tank.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: