Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Cosmos Auto Transport and Skat Trucking Reply with quote

What a nightmare - I used Cosmos (from Fullerton CA) a couple years ago and it was perfect. They, like many, are brokers. This time they contracted Skat trucking out of NJ to transport my 65 bug from CA to PA. Driver was to be here March 15th in the morning (which was great since I was to be on a plane at 1P). Called and he claimed that he was tied up at last stop. Was within 1/2 hour of here by 5PM. Said he missed turn off. Was given directions to get here. Showed up several hours later after it was dark. Demanded $1000 cash (transport was already paid for in advance) and hurried my better half to get it and sign the receipt. (I was still in the air). I did get the $1000 back after a couple weeks.

Turns out we discovered why he delivered in the dark - he dropped chains on the roof. Entire roof needs repair and repaint. Got quote from good (not the most expensive) local shop for $1300 (to do it right, front and rear windows need pulled). OK - remember this was March - calling and emailing weekly - finally get word from insurance company on 6/18 that they may only pay $500.

Lessons learned - Even if you used the company before, get your OWN insurance on the car before it is picked up. Have copy of bill of sale BEFORE pick up. Have seller take pictures of car while transport is there. Do NOT under any circumstances sign for the car until you have gone over it with a fine tooth comb.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got done using Glory Auto Transport and have to say that it was great service. They are NOT brokers, they run their own rigs and it is fully enclosed transport. Denver to Indiana was $1075, pretty reasonable for enclosed transport, IMO. I would highly recommend them: www.gloryautotransport.com

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently used Jayhawk Auto Transport - was cheapest of 4 quotes I got -

took aproximately 2 months for delivery - vehicle purchased in mid-May and delivered yesterday, July 10, 2008 - apparently took a long time because the vehicle being shipped was non-operational

Luckily the seller was easy to deal with and the car did arrive very shortly after trucker was lined up (Grass Valley, CA to Fort Collins, CO) (I got a call at 1PM, car was picked up at 7AM next day and the car was delivered to me at 6AM the following day)

Trucker did want $50 more for the transport which I agreed to over the phone prior to shipping (making the toal $950 instead of $900)

no complaints except that it did take along time - Mark

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM Express handled two non runners coast to coast for me. Despite specific instructions for a vehicle with a winch, the transporter showed up without one. My Lancia (a non runner) was damaged during loading and resulted in +$1000 of damage.

I don't blame AM, in fact they were very helpful after the damage occurred, but I wish to emphasize that they are only brokers. You roll the dice when you contract through a broker as you don't know who you will get.

Last edited by keithwwalker on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
You roll the dice when you contract through a broker as you don't know who you will get.

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spook1s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how I would ship a body section of a Doublecab? It's HUGE! It doesn't run. It doesn't roll, etc...
I've never shipped anything so large and I know it requires a truck but I've never dealt with ANY trucking company. Can anybody give me some pointers/advice?
Anybody headed from northeastern Ohio to Southern California?
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call ABF U-Pack Moving.

Their system uses 40 ft. trailers which you can partially load, then install a bulkhead which then ABF uses for their own freight needs.

Then that 40ft. trailer gets hooked up on tandem or triple rigs for the ride cross country.

It would be up to you to load the doka section into and out of the trailer. If you can do that, it will be cost effective, as ABF doesn't charge by weight or volume but by linear foot of trailer space you can take up.

U-pack doesn't do running vehicles, but they may do large car sections.

http://www.upack.com/

spook1s wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I would ship a body section of a Doublecab? It's HUGE! It doesn't run. It doesn't roll, etc...
I've never shipped anything so large and I know it requires a truck but I've never dealt with ANY trucking company. Can anybody give me some pointers/advice?
Anybody headed from northeastern Ohio to Southern California?
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just used Momentum Transport, www.momentumtransport.com, just excellent service. While they are a broker their customer service was excellent and always available in minutes by email, responsive, and they use reputable carriers. Price was reasonable comparatively too. They picked up a day early and delivered on schedule too.
Meyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalk up another positive experience with River City Auto transport. They were quick, efficient and painless transporting a lowered Type 3 from the San Diego area to the Seattle Area. The price was about as low as I could find.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know... do auto shippers generally require that the vehicle have a title, or are they willing to move a vehicle that has merely a bill of sale?

I have a bus with no current title, and am wondering if it can be shipped elsewhere.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Does anyone know... do auto shippers generally require that the vehicle have a title, or are they willing to move a vehicle that has merely a bill of sale?

I have a bus with no current title, and am wondering if it can be shipped elsewhere.

The shippers don't care, and generally don't want to handle the titles / bills of sale either.

If it's going out of the country you'll need a title.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: auto transport Reply with quote

I just used Jay Hawk Auto Transport to bring a 67 bug I purchased from Boulder, CO to Rutland, VT. I guess they are brokers and enlisted Coastal trucking to bring the bug out. Couldn't be happier. They were the cheapest by $1000 and my car was delivered in 4 days.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyrotten
I Cure Seizures!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used AAA auto movers located in Tempe Arizona. From Arizona to Atlanta, Ga for just under $1000.

Car arrived just as it left.

Highly recommended...

John

In the garage....

64 Ghia
66 beetle
56 Oval rag
58 ex-art project Beetle
A fleet of parts buses and ghias
sandowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Shipping to the UK Reply with quote

I shipped a split screen from Portland,OR to the UK using Kingston Shipping http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/ .The cost of the van was $5,000.00.

Costs were:

Collection and shipping £1,476.36
Import Duty £50.00
VAT £558.97

This all made sense with the exchage rate of nearly 2 to 1!

Service was excellent and shipped in a container. Dockers in UK (Chatham Docks) said it was one of the best packed vehicle they had ever seen. The vehicle does not need to be a runner to be picked up. it is winched onto the flatbed of the truck.

I have no hesitation in recomeding them.

Hope this helps.
6Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those that had vehicles shipped across the country...how did you pay for the car? Did you send the seller a cashiers check? Money order? Paypal them?

I'm trying to figure out the safest way to pay. A little worried the car will show up not exactly the condition I thought or parts missing or worse yet it never shows...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Buyer and Seller Forum
Tips for buying a car over the Internet

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this thread will work. Im looking for a transport from Oregon to socal. Does anybody have anything going that way I can jump on? My best quote so far is 400.00.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking for a price BETTER than $400?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$400 is really good.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In todays economy Im pinching every penny I can and trying to get the best deal. I was amazed at some of the high quotes I received for a 700 mile trip.Im not complaining about 400, just seeing if there might be a better offer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: