Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Have anyone had to ship a rear decklid? What did you use? Make a board box or just fabricate a cardbord box and add padding? Let me know and give some example
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

flymanx wrote:
Have anyone had to ship a rear decklid? What did you use? Make a board box or just fabricate a cardbord box and add padding? Let me know and give some example

I've shipped similar parts in the past through Greyhound Shipping and Fed Ex Ground.
Yes, wrap and box it in cardboard.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Thanks Everett, I'm about to ship one to sweden.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

flymanx wrote:
Thanks Everett, I'm about to ship one to sweden.

Oh, I don't know if that would be different. I wonder if that would need a crate? I guess it depends if it's a Bug decklid (not really flat) or a Bus decklid (pretty flat)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
Len K wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:
Update: I sent an email wondering what the status was on shipping. I haven't got a reply yet. I am guessing its due to the holiday weekend. I'm not sure why it hasn't been picked up yet.

When did you book? I booked on the 16th for 8/24 pick up. They missed the pick up window. apparently they guarantee a five day pick up window from date of request unless otherwise specified. That of course, is business days. Which could, of course, translate into 10 actual days if you pick the perfect date for pick up.

Been on the phone several times, most recently with Ellen. She did indicate that shippers are much less inclined to bid around labor day weekend. I told her I would rather they choose the best shipper that gets the car here safely if it means the pick up date slips to after Labor Day.

We are in the same boat - reason I originally asked how things were going. They are to pick up a beetle in Hemet Ca and deliver to Pittsburgh Pa for me.

You?

I booked on 13 August for a 24 August beginning pick up date. I sent an email but I haven’t heard back yet. It has to be because of the holiday. I’m hoping I’ll get a phone call or email tomorrow. I’m all about getting a good shopper that won’t damage the vehicle. They are picking up a 66 deluxe bus non running from Gray Court, SC to Sandy, UT. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Did you ever get your bus shipped? How did it go? I have to ship a bug from Wisconsin Rapids to Redding CA, and man, I can't seem to get any commitments. I have a quote from 4C so I'm interested in hearing how it went. I hear a lot of my route is off the beaten path so I could take longer to get a shipper. Maybe I should go into the 'off the beaten path shipping' and make bank!

Thx
Tom

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Flat4Tom wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:
Len K wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:
Update: I sent an email wondering what the status was on shipping. I haven't got a reply yet. I am guessing its due to the holiday weekend. I'm not sure why it hasn't been picked up yet.

When did you book? I booked on the 16th for 8/24 pick up. They missed the pick up window. apparently they guarantee a five day pick up window from date of request unless otherwise specified. That of course, is business days. Which could, of course, translate into 10 actual days if you pick the perfect date for pick up.

Been on the phone several times, most recently with Ellen. She did indicate that shippers are much less inclined to bid around labor day weekend. I told her I would rather they choose the best shipper that gets the car here safely if it means the pick up date slips to after Labor Day.

We are in the same boat - reason I originally asked how things were going. They are to pick up a beetle in Hemet Ca and deliver to Pittsburgh Pa for me.

You?

I booked on 13 August for a 24 August beginning pick up date. I sent an email but I haven’t heard back yet. It has to be because of the holiday. I’m hoping I’ll get a phone call or email tomorrow. I’m all about getting a good shopper that won’t damage the vehicle. They are picking up a 66 deluxe bus non running from Gray Court, SC to Sandy, UT. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Did you ever get your bus shipped? How did it go? I have to ship a bug from Wisconsin Rapids to Redding CA, and man, I can't seem to get any commitments. I have a quote from 4C so I'm interested in hearing how it went. I hear a lot of my route is off the beaten path so I could take longer to get a shipper. Maybe I should go into the 'off the beaten path shipping' and make bank!

Thx
Tom

I've had good luck with www.uShip.com I don't know why you guys don't list your loads there & wait for quotes/prices from independent truckers. Be sure your load is ready to pick up today, as they might be in the area, but don't want to wait even 1 day! They all know how to strap down loads, but don't list with a Broker as you're not getting the straight scoop from the guy coming for your car etc.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I've had good luck with www.uShip.com I don't know why you guys don't list your loads there & wait for quotes/prices from independent truckers. Be sure your load is ready to pick up today, as they might be in the area, but don't want to wait even 1 day! They all know how to strap down loads, but don't list with a Broker as you're not getting the straight scoop from the guy coming for your car etc.

I initially listed it on uShip. The least expensive quote was still 1700! I may try it again. A lot of replies were from brokers, not actual shippers.

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Flat4Tom wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I initially listed it on uShip. The least expensive quote was still 1700! I may try it again. A lot of replies were from brokers, not actual shippers.

A few people post no brokers on their Uship listings, some can be fun to read. That said $1700 does not seem that bad for where to where you are dealing with and I expect that kind of pricing would be for a multi car open trailer. A lot of them deal with brokers mostly as they don't have the time to search for loads.

You can try Truly Vintage on here as he is based out of Ohio so at least close to one of your "where"s. As far as hauling for a living in the off the beatn path idea.... Would you haul your car for $1700 or less on that route? And then remember all the regulations and things that cost money (like insurance that once again went up this year because "I live in Connecticut" (no claims or damages)).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. It's probably as low as it's going to get but it's just a big pill to swallow when it's almost half of what I paid for the car.

I wouldn't have even done it if this particular car wasn't so tough to find in nice shape.

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Flat4Tom wrote:
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. It's probably as low as it's going to get but it's just a big pill to swallow when it's almost half of what I paid for the car.

I wouldn't have even done it if this particular car wasn't so tough to find in nice shape.

Have you tried Four Corners yet? They've given me consistantly cheaper prices than anyone on Uship. Where to where are you shipping?
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I'm planning on shipping my bus down the west coast of the US and then driving it back up to Canada.

How do things typically work after the vehicle is dropped off? I will fly down so I would like the vehicle to be there when I arrive. Are shippers able to drop it off at a location where it can be safely stored for days or even a week? I assume they aren't precise in their schedules so how much float should I plan for?

Also, am I better off shipping from Vancouver, Canada or driving across the border first and shipping from Seattle?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
I'm planning on shipping my bus down the west coast of the US and then driving it back up to Canada.

How do things typically work after the vehicle is dropped off? I will fly down so I would like the vehicle to be there when I arrive. Are shippers able to drop it off at a location where it can be safely stored for days or even a week? I assume they aren't precise in their schedules so how much float should I plan for?

Also, am I better off shipping from Vancouver, Canada or driving across the border first and shipping from Seattle?

Dave @ Jade Auto in Tenino, WA specializes in the West Coast & will do whatever you want!

https://www.uship.com/profile/jadeauto/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Jmiddle204 wrote:
I worked with Jeff at 4 - Corners and am pleased to say all went well. They had very good rates, communicated as expected and was connected with a reliable driver that loaded my Vert into the enclosed trailer I requested and paid for.
I would recommend 4 Corners to anyone moving a car from coast to coast.

Moved the car again, used 4 Corners again, great experience again. You can't go wrong with Jeff & 4 Corners.

James
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Wasted almost 3 weeks with Uship trying to get a bus that was parked across the street from KCW to Fla. I called Jeff at 4 Corners and the bus was LOADED within 48 hrs!
Also when we first listed with Uship quotes were $1500-$1800. When the first company dropped the ball we relisted and then the quotes shot up to $2000-$2400. 4 Corners was less than $1400!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

sloans265 wrote:
Wasted almost 3 weeks with Uship trying to get a bus that was parked across the street from KCW to Fla. I called Jeff at 4 Corners and the bus was LOADED within 48 hrs!
Also when we first listed with Uship quotes were $1500-$1800. When the first company dropped the ball we relisted and then the quotes shot up to $2000-$2400. 4 Corners was less than $1400!

I have the same story to report. I screwed around with UShip for about a week, and the quotes were a joke (I think it was the same people bidding under different names). I got tired of the nonsense and contacted 4 Corners.

They beat the best UShip price by over 30% and the whole thing has been stress free. Good people to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Make sure your shipper has insurance LOL

Link

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Just used 4 Corners Transport Service based out of Washington. They were the broker for PBC Express based out of Phoenix. Thing came shipped enclosed from Riverside CA to NJ as requested and was safe and sound within the requested and proposed time frame. I would use Jeff at 4 Corners again to arrange car shipping.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Just used Jeff at 4 Corners again to ship a car from MA to AZ.

Excellent communication. Picked up in the timeframe that was communicated and delivered 2 days earlier than expected....and that was right during Christmas.

Third time for using Jeff and 4 Corners. All great experiences.
sparkhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I also just used Jeff at 4corners. Fair prices and super easy.

Shipping seemed higher than expected so I posted an ad on uShip and inquired with a couple of other companies. The pricing from 4corners was fair, beating all the other options for the level of service requested. I wasted a fair bit of time shopping around to end up where lots of people recommended.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I have used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) a couple of time with no problems.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 30

Jump to: