Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Since this is one of the most common questions in this Forum this thread has been created to keep all the shipping information in one place.

You may want to check the end of the thread for the latest recommendations or reviews.

Please feel free to add recommendations or information based on your first hand experience.

This thread is not for ads offering your shipping services or for wanted ads

Things to Know about Shipping:

Things That Will Influence the Price:
1. Running cars are cheaper than cars that don’t run
2. Open Shipping is cheaper than enclosed shipping.
3. Major City to Major City is cheaper than pickup and delivery to the middle of nowhere.
4. Shipping From Canada Require Broker’s Fees and Custom’s Charges.
(Also see expanded Canadian rules below)

Brokers vs. Shipping Companies
Many transport companies are shipping brokers. They do not actually own a truck or make deliveries themselves. They will give you a quote and then find a company to to the actual shipping. They charge you $1200 and pay the actual shipper $1000. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just keep in mind that they are not actually in control of the shipping.

Also, many actual Shipping Companies will trade off with other companies if they can find another company who will do it faster or cheaper.

Many Shipping Company also contract with independent drivers too, so it’s hard to guess who will actually deliver your car.

Companies Recommended by Samba Members:
(these are companies that the people suggesting them have actually used to ship cars)

Domestic

Help from a the Samba member Classic Car Guy on this site:
I try to help anyone on here that needs a car moved anywhere in the world, as I said before i ship 300+ cars a year and have a lot of good connections with transporters, so when i can help another member out and not see them getting ripped off by paying one time retail pricing, I'm always willing do so for them, if you need something shipped call me 623-764-5897, thanks Joe
His Samba profile page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=232043

River City Transport recommended by Fifty-Five and several others

VIP Transportation 888-428-5847 recommended by coad

Thomas Sunday 800-541-6601 http://www.sundayautotransport.com/ recommended by coad

Horseless Carriage http://www.horselesscarriage.com/ recommended by Miguel Arroyo

Das Auto Shippers www.dasautoshippers.com
Recommended by Kal’s57Rag and DrDarby
Recent reviews have been unfavorable - see Yelp and other reviews in this thread

Fed-Ex - http://passport.fedex.com/ recommended by DrDarby

https://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com/ recommended by Dennis K and several others in this thread

Glory Auto Transport - recommended by 5vert6
Update from owners:
"We have recently closed our company and are now working for Intercity Lines. Intercitylines.com. Intercity is probably the highest rated company in the US. And although we may not always be the drivers, all the drivers at Intercity are top notch."

USA to Canada

http://www.hansenglobal.com/ recommended by bljones

USA to Europe or Europe to USA

http://www.calship.com - recommended by Randy at oldbug.com

Direct Express, Inc - USA AUTO SHIPPERS - www.shipdei.com - Tel: 310 324 2100
From USA to Europe or Europe to USA
From USA to Australia and New Zealand

Companies to Avoid
(based on negative comments by Samba Members)

A1 Auto Transport. Negative comment from Hornman

BT Auto Transport. Negative comment by Jason Eden and Uncle Bob

Resources on the Internet:

http://www.transportreviews.com/Company/
http://www.movecars.com./
http://www.uship.com/vehicles

Importing to/from Canada
Importing Vehicles:
1. U.S. Customs imposes no fees related to the shipping process of vehicles into the U.S.
2. The only fees that an importer would have to pay would be duty on the value of the vehicle. The following criteria would determine the amount (if any) of duty owed.
A. If the vehicle was manufactured in Canada or the U.S.: No duty assessed (NAFTA)
B. If the vehicle was manufactured in any other country, the amount of duty would be calculated as follows.
3.0% on the first $1000 of the value of the vehicle.
2.5% on the remaining value of the vehicle.

Example: Vehicle valued at $4000

3.0% on the first $1000 = $30.00
2.5% of $3000 (remaining value) = $75.00
Total duty assessed = $105.00

3. The vehicle being imported must meet current U.S. EPA and DOT regulations. There must be a placard on the vehicle stating this. If there are no placards, a letter of compliance is required and can be acquired from the vehicle manufacture. Vehicles over 25 years of age are exempted from this requirement.

Exporting vehicles:
1. When exporting a vehicle from the U.S. there is a 72 hour rule that must be met. The U.S. Customs port which the vehicle is exiting the country from must receive FAX a copy of the vehicle title (possibly other documents as well) 72 hours or more prior to the vehicle leaving the country.
2. There are no fees related to exporting vehicles from the U.S.

Carrier fees:
The company who is actually transporting the vehicle will have a $10.75 fee to pay at the port of entry upon their return. Don’t let them BS you into thinking this is a fee YOU have to pay. It is their responsibility.
If you are transporting or driving the vehicle yourself, for your own personal use, this fee does not apply.

If you would like to add companies or information to this thread, please contact the administrator, EverettB

Last edited by coad on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bearly purple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Greeeat!!!! Reply with quote

Is there anything this site does not have? I've been fumbling around online and 411ing all afternoon trying to figure who to use, can they be trusted with my ride (when I find one) and of course how much is too much. THANKS! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haul cars in the Western United States.....
http://vintagewarehouse.com/transportpage.html

I also deal with importing to Europe. Feel free to email me with any questions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: auto shipping Reply with quote

I must recommend an auto shipping company I have used....Glory Auto Transport...They haul cars in an enclosed trailer from the southwest to the northeast and back. They are very reasonable, friendly and fast! They picked up my car yesterday August 4th from southern California and it will be delivered Monday or Tuesday in upstate New York! www.gloryautotransport.com 303-822-6767...Lee & Grace Tracy...give them a call.......car was delivered Monday evening....XLNT service!!!...the website is not up yet, but call them direct.
atlaw4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used www.caronatruck.com 4 or 5 times with no problems. However, understand they are a broker site and their contractors most commonly use a diesel dually truck and trailer large enough to accomodate 2 to 3 vehicles. I would not use them for a show car but they are usually one of the cheapest quotes I've received and I have had no problems the multiple times I have used the. The good is once the vehicle is picked up it arrives at your door after very few stops. I once transported a show car from Fl to TX and decided to splurge and use a DAS enclosed trailer. This service turned out to be less than satisfactory as I was not told the car would sit for days uncovered in both FL & TX awaiting for the enclosed trailer and thus, the car arrived quite late and quite filthy.
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: cosmo's Auto Transport ROCKS! *EDIT THEY SUCK!* SEE NEW POST Reply with quote

***NEW POST MADE 6/18/08 - NIGHTMARE ON RECENT TRANSPORT**

www.cosmosautotransport.com just delivered my car. This is the first time I have had really good and inexpensive at the same time. I won't use anybody else. Andy
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbr900racer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivercity transport all the way...they brought mine from CA to me here in TN. they promptly answered emails, phonecalls and got me the phone number of the driver so i could call and check on car. if i ever buy another car out of state, ill use them again, no hesitation at all.
97 Blazer
07 Nitro
94 CBR900RR (runs 5.70s 1/8 mile)
Engineer9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: An Excellent Car Transport Company Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Glory Auto Transport (Lee & Grace...303-822-6767) to anyone looking for an enclosed carrier...they did a great job, taking great care to protect my 1962 Pontiac Catalina, delivering it from 2300+ miles in 4+ days (San Diego, CA to Perrysburg, OH) and carefully unloading it. Kept in communication regarding delivery progress. They even checked the air pressure in the tires before unloading.. one was a little low, so Lee pumped it up. They also took the time to go over the car in detail pointing out each item on the pre-load inspection report.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For international shipping, look no further.

www.haulingdepot.com

It's like uship.com, only much easier to use in my experience and they do international vehicle shipments, no problem.

This should demystify international shipping for a LOT of folks. Have fun, don't forget to bring some cool stuff back our way!
beetleluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Cheap not always best/lesson learned Reply with quote

Bought my 66 in mid December 2006 from a fella in Ohio (25 miles from Cincinnatti). I immediately went out and got 10 quotes to haul the 66 to NE of Houston Texas. I took the lowest bidder and went with it. As of earlier this week, still no 66 in Texas! I was buying some pop out windows from fellow VW enthusiast (Antonio/Rosaparks) Monday night. I was telling him about my frustration of not having my 66 yet, and he gave me the name of a fella in California who has done some hauling for him. I called Joe Monday night, and two days later Joe had the 66 on the move. I found out that the original $590 bid, was not enough to get any drivers in the Ohio area to haul the car. The company's share was 150. That left 440 out there to haul the car. With Joe, the price went up 80. Joe was willing to take a smaller cut (75). This left 600 for a hauler. If I ever have to have another car hauled in the future, I am pretty sure that the cheapest quote will not be the one I go with.

dLk: der Luftkühlers

1956 Polar Silver Oval
1966 Bahama Blue Type 1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nimbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cosmo's Auto Transport ROCKS! Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
www.cosmosautotransport.com just delivered my car. This is the first time I have had really good and inexpensive at the same time. I won't use anybody else. Andy

I used Cosmos. Actually, they are broker. But anyway, from the time I called the bus was delivered to North Florida from California, was 7 days.

I have the trucking company and the driver name/number that was procured by Cosmos if anyone needs.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with using a broker.
The driver doesn't get all the money so they pass on the pick up.

That's wh I don't use brokers, I do all the legwork myself.
That way the custoers are happy and I can pick and choose what I want to haul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Urnge74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know where to get info on renting a truck/trailer?
checked uhaul budget and penske, penske seems the best deal...

any others out there?
dosborne08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Receommended Auto transporters... Reply with quote

Visit www.abcautotransportinfo.com to get all your auto transport information you need before you start your reaserch on shipping your car. It'll save you some time.

Also..you can visit

www.autotransport4u.com

its an Auto Transport Directory that can help you when you are looking for a qualified transporter...
dosborne08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also....for international car shipping...a very good company is

www.shiptocaribbean.com

hope it helps.....
panscraper_deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: cosmo's Auto Transport ROCKS! Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

Looks like I'm going with them...

They had the best quote by a few hundred dollars...

Have you ever had anything lowered towed by them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
der winkermeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m looking for a good reliable company to ship a near concours running oval from Bremen/Hamburg, Germany to Jacksonville, Florida - has anyone done this recently? I`ve been having quite a hard time finding a good company, let alone good rates, what`s this going to cost on a average? (I haven`t shipped a car back to the states since I was in the Army and that`s over 15 years ago)
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye Auto Transport
I used this company, they are a broker.
They provided me with fast reliable service.
I wouldn't hesitate using them again.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I had a short notice move I got just a few days notice.
They provided me a shipper and all went well. My car was
shipped from San Diego CA to South GA in just a few days.

Good People give them a call!!

Carla Gardiner
Customer Service
Bullseye Auto Transport
(877) 216-6683
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's ooking for a trans Atlantic shipper, not as easy as a tow from A to B
der winkermeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
He's ooking for a trans Atlantic shipper, not as easy as a tow from A to B

right......seems like no one ships Beetles and Buses here like they used to in the 1980`s and 90`s, the Euro to $ rate has alot to do with that I presume, but there has to be someone out there who has an idea of what this should cost, hell I guess I could keep the car over there as my European "Vacation" car just that I miss the car sooo much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: