Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air flap open or closed?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEXABUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: air flap open or closed? Reply with quote

I have a question about the air flaps on my 79. When the flaps are in the open position are they both up? Or is the right side up and the oil cooler side down when it is open? Can the oil cooler side linkage jump overcenter and make one flap closed and one open?
Thanks,
David
TEXABUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own questions by looking at Amskeptic's drawings.
Thank you,
David
mork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're correct. When the flaps are "open" the right side opens to allow airflow over the cylinders. The left side lowers to direct half the air to the cylinders and half to the oil cooler.

While we're on the subject, I would like to wait to order my new thermostat until I'm ordering some other parts. For a few weeks of intermittent driving, do you think it would ok to send a second person to the enging with pliers or something to close the flaps while the engine warms up?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I don't know where you are ordering parts from but I doubt that they will have a type 4 thermostat for you. they have NLA for a while.

2) no, you do not want to have a friend out there changing the flaps as the engine warms up. Make sure your flaps are in the open (default) position though. the little spring ont he metal rod keeps them open in a "thermostat failed or is not there" position.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
1) I don't know where you are ordering parts from but I doubt that they will have a type 4 thermostat for you. they have NLA for a while.

2) no, you do not want to have a friend out there changing the flaps as the engine warms up. Make sure your flaps are in the open (default) position though. the little spring ont he metal rod keeps them open in a "thermostat failed or is not there" position.

numbered list is looking good, Randy.

I located a used thermostat which appears to be good. Thinking about installing it on my engine since the cable, mounts, wheel, etc. was in good condition. should I emmerse it in hot water to verify it's function?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do make sure that it is in the thermostat housing or it will get over extended and become "junk".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

I was going to use the typeI thermostat with modification. That's what was already on the engine when I bought the bus.
meinkfr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Type 1 thermo si the method I went with. The only real difference is the connection of the cable to the thermo and the temp setting. My feelings on that are as follows:
1. The mod is easy to do, you just have to follow the directions of www.germansupply.com or be creative.
2. It's better to have the thermostat and flaps activate at a little lower temp than not at all.

However it is a little on the hard side finding all the remaining parts if the whole thermostat assembly was removed. Some parts from Busdepot, some parts from the BusCo and some others from Busboys..But after a little searching you will find the parts.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meinkfr wrote:

However it is a little on the hard side finding all the remaining parts if the whole thermostat assembly was removed. Some parts from Busdepot, some parts from the BusCo and some others from Busboys..But after a little searching you will find the parts.

Busted Bus should have everything you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: