Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

creative native, now throw on that T-3 Techniques Sway bar. You will be amazed.
Blue Hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Gotta be the cabinets...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyGypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

My favorite mods.....

#4 - Drivers door grab bar
#3 - Passenger door map pocket (with a slight cutout to allow for opening the glove box
#2 - Rhino design console (https://rhinodesignstudio.com/vw-vanagon-consoles/)
#1 - Converting the upper bunk into a storage area. HUGE! And reversible (sleeping pads are stored at home). A big thank you to my friend Lew for showing me this mod. We never used the upper bunk except to shift everything we were carrying in the back up to the top when camping. Used the existing hardware and put a board across to prevent items from shifting forward and falling should you brake hard.

board can flip open so you can access items without popping the top. Most needed items are usually kept close to the front.

My husband lists his #1 (my #1.5) as the modification I made to the refrigerator door... stock refrigerator door with top 2 inches removed so we could get to the controls. Still looks nice, but so much more efficient. I bought a replacement door to do this, and have the original door stored away. His #2 is the GoWesty wider wheel base upgrade.

Last edited by WestyGypsy on Wed May 20, 2020 4:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

WestyGypsy wrote:
My favorite mods.....

#1 - Converting the upper bunk into a storage area. HUGE! And reversible (sleeping pads are stored at home). A big thank you to my friend Lew for showing me this mod. We never used the upper bunk except to shift everything we were carrying in the back up to the top when camping. Used the existing hardware and put a board across to prevent items from shifting forward and falling should you brake hard.

board can flip open so you can access items without popping the top. Most needed items are usually kept close to the front.

Awesome! Going to do this. Thanks for sharing.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

^^^ When I had a pop-top I also loved this mod. It's amazing what can be stored in the space when the mattress is removed. We never sleep in the top bunk.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Two years back I made a list of mods that make me pleased. Perhaps some photo reference would be useful for those who also seek easy joy.
Yep.
The two mods here are Alistair’s kitchen lid strut

and the RV bay door latches which hold open the two bins (also the swivel table stay, that latch is another fave I’ve mentioned elsewhere).

Cheers,
Jeffery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:

and the RV bay door latches which hold open the two bins (also the swivel table stay, that latch is another fave I’ve mentioned elsewhere).

Cheers,
Jeffery

I've looked online but I can't find the latch you're using to hold the two lids open. Would you mind posting a link or a specific name I can look for? Also on the table stay?

Thanks,
Ed
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
I've looked online but I can't find the latch you're using to hold the two lids open. Would you mind posting a link or a specific name I can look for? Also on the table stay?

Thanks,
Ed

I just bought some of it based on the post and will get it tomorrow via Amazon just in time for installing them this weekend!
The cabinet latches are available in three colors (black is cheaper): https://amzn.to/3ghECmb
Gas struts (pack of four was the only option for next day delivery - I'll find a use for the extras) : https://amzn.to/3cYGvSR

I couldn't find the table stay thingy, so if anyone has a link to share, it would be appreciated.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I would think cabinet child locks would do and would be available in various styles.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Sorry to leave anyone hanging. The table stay is a child latch. Safety First Spring & release latch (#48447 3-pack) Home Depot.
The RV latches are everywhere, but this set is from Camping World (Ebay and Amazon for other restorations) because they are close.
: )

covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I may be dense but how does the table stay work? Does it grab the edge of the table? I’d love to find something reliable that would keep a loose table from slamming into the kids at the first turn, which happens too often.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

covelo wrote:
I may be dense but how does the table stay work? Does it grab the edge of the table? I’d love to find something reliable that would keep a loose table from slamming into the kids at the first turn, which happens too often.

It's a two-piece latch. One goes on the wall, the other under the table. Wink

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

mid winter Blahs...
anything new happening out there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I'll Bite
The rear disc brakes mod has worked out amazingly
Had to redo the parking brake system as well
Ended up using a 1960's mustang style equalizer as vw NLA
Now it has no rollback while on an incline

Nach the 2.5 subi swap

16" tires

main focus for spring is an aux fuel tank
sound deadening/insulation
T
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
mid winter Blahs...
anything new happening out there?

Removed the going-unused Dometic fridge months ago, creating much more storage space... it's now my pantry.

Installed the UniWerks vent Power Pod today:

🤠🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
I like the Upper Bunk Powerpod to give USB power for my phone while sleeping up top! Wink It's also easy to power awning lights as it is located righ above the slider...

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/upper-bunk-powerpod/

I like this one.
Wonder where its gets 12v?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
unibagel wrote:
I like the Upper Bunk Powerpod to give USB power for my phone while sleeping up top! ;-) It's also easy to power awning lights as it is located righ above the slider...

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/upper-bunk-powerpod/

Wonder where its gets 12v?

I just pour a puddle of electricity into the curtain tray when I need it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749732
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Just realized...that location is right below the stock interior light. So it's probably easy to tap in to that.

I had to get inside the van for this obvious answer to enter my addled brain. To get in there, i had to unzip the cover and go in the passenger side. It was then I realized that the sliding door was open. Has been for about 2 weeks, and with the cover on, I never noticed. Lucky for us it doesn't look like any critters took up residence in there. Around here, the list of critters includes rats, mice, racoons, cats, skunks and opossums to name a few.

You know what they say: I rather be lucky than good any day.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I just put in some undercounter strip dimmable LED lighting in the galley: two on the underside of the "spice rack" over the stove and the cabinets to the rear of the stove/sink, one directly over the bench seat, and one on the roof of the poptop to light the upstairs bunk.
Great lighting- warm white- and very battery-efficient. Love 'em.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Care to share your led strip light brand?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: