Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No venting - can be shipped UPS. Battery box cover closes just fine. I added the rubber roof membrane just 'cuz.

Prost,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see..

-Subaru EJ22 conversion - best thing I did to the bus.
-Full stainless steel exhaust system.
-16" Mullins alloy wheels.
-Michelin Hydroedge 205/65R/16 - amazing tires.
-RedLine MT90 synthetic gear oil - smooth shifting.
-S.A. Grille with headlight relay kit - 'cause stock lights just don't cut it.
-VDO oil pressure and volt gauges- gotta know whats going on back there..
-GoWesty wind/rain deflectors. - nice feature.
-Custom homemade rear hatch bug net.

Still to be done this summer..

-Big vented disc brakes and calibers up front and vented disc brake conversion in the back.
-New rubber seals for doors, windows, handles, etc. throughout.
-Complete body and paint work.
-Window tint
-Short shift kit

That is all I can think of right now...

Cheers!
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevegibb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: mods Reply with quote

Faves include:

New heads. . . yup, struck a deal with my nest egg minder this week
Wooden "Step" up to bunk that fits in front table holder
Shifter extender
Wheelskin
Trivet that allows small diameter pots on Westy stove
Collapsible orange traffic cone -- frequently used!
Kiddie belts/Watching the kids make "toys" out of various Westy mods
"Historic" license plates (in MD this skips emissions tests even tho she burns pretty clean)
A competent mechanic for the big stuff
dljphoenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: favorite mods Reply with quote

Hard to decide where to start. So Ill just list my very favorites, Propex thermostatically controlled heater with a 2nd dedicated tank. Grab handles at drivers side and slider door. Decoupler and solid shaft(syncro) tint windows. Reefer ( propane) LED indicator replaced with one brighter. I have also modified my stock reefer in hopes of improving its propane performance but the jury is still out on that. Of course there are all the mechanical mods but its standard stuff.
dljphoenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: favorite mods Reply with quote

So many but here goes. Propex heater w/ thermostat and dedicated 2nd tank. Grab handles at driver and slider door. Tint windows (a real plus) Brighter LED propane indicator on panel for reefer. Decoupler and solid shaft (syncro) I have also made a hose up so that I can add propane to my existing tank in an emergency. There are many others, but these are some of my favorites. I also just completed a modification to my stock reefer, hope it makes it cool a little better. The jury is still out on that but Ill keep you posted.
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many mods yet but here is my breakdown.
Completed mods:
15" wheels&tires
Euro H-4 Headlamps- for fun I installed a strobe kit in the extra bulb hole. Whatdyamean not while I drive??? J/K Laughing

Planned Mods:
Dual batteries (deep cycle)
Headlight relays
Install Z-bed
Build custom portable counter to house sink/stove (non-westy)
Air conditioning of some sort that will work around the sunroof.
EricD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite mods...

- 15 inch Rondell 5-star alloy wheels
- Headlight relay and brighter bulbs (seeing at night is a good thing)
- New Alpine Stereo with Ipod connection in the back. We can control the Ipod through the stereo face so it lives in the glove box. No more CDs all over the place.
- Upper bed extension (basically a foam covered and upholstered piece of plywood with specially designed mounting to perfectly close the "door" to the upstairs and extend the bed by about 18 inches - essential for sleeping up there with our 19 month old girl. More roomy too!)
- Replaced the rear cushion with a bouldering crash pad. Perfect fit - bulky item now takes zero space.

Planned in the next few weeks - both for peace of mind

- New 304 SS coolant pipes (have an intermittent leak at the end of one of the plastic ones)
- New propane tank assembly (had a scare this past weekend AFTER I fixed one slow leak and sprung a new hissing one at the valve - yikes!)

Someday...

- TDI engine and a 5 speed (or taller 4th)
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah nutz,

I wish I had pic to share, but, best mod I have done is to the nose.
Yup, the nose. the V has really poor welds where the nose front skin meets at the lip for the bumper sub-structure.

From the lower grille to the "shelf" there sits a tack weld line. 3 parts to the equation. first is the brake bent metal towards the bumper assembly. Second is a slave piece between the brake molded front and 3rd is the rear brake molded steel that is lap welded over the area all along the sub frame that makes up the front bumper system ( sits inside and is hidden by the rad). This is very over built, but done quick at the factory, hence if I smacked a rear end of any late model car, I'd total it. Look. It is all beefy there! but the V pays a price by taking the impact beams ( they take the force outwards) making them to buckle and pushes them back towards the footwells.

Okay, what did I do... Well, took out all of the rotting crap and built a drainage system. Simple. Went to the highest point of the lower grille and layed out Evercoat light weight filler, after Duraglas-ing the piss out of the cancer area. Then, with the filler made a channel on both sides to run H2o away from the center of the nose ( use the VW Logo as a guide) works like a charm. Do not know why the VW engineers did not make this area more secure... Stella was good that Night...

Primed in Chassis Saver and top coated with POR Hardnose white 2 part epoxy... I think I did good...
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
Gary Russell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: From the beginning...my modifications Reply with quote

Prior to purchasing my Westy I owned a 1988 RoadTrek camper van which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had spent a lot of time and money getting her just the way I wanted her but decided for various reasons to sell her and get a Westy. First, I wanted a camper that could park in a regular garage. The RoadTrek was too tall to fit through a standard garage door. Second, although the RoadTrek was taller on the outside it was only 6'1" on the inside which means I was stooped over whenever I was in her. Additionally, the rear bed ran across the back end (which was also only 6'1" long) so I ended up sleeping diagonal or else my head would hit one wall and my feet were smack up against the other wall. Third, I wanted a vehicle with a bit more personality.

My brother had just purchased a 1970 VW Bus and when I saw it I knew that I was destined to get a VW camper as well. My brother introduced me to the Samba website so I spent many days, weeks and months checking out the Westys that were for sale. I bought my 1984 Westy in November 2006. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped from Colorado to Minnesota.

I didn't know a lot about Westys then but knew the cabinets were not original to the vehicle. They were mis-matched (most of them are the wood-grained cabinets but the rear closet and cabinets over the bed were the beige "newer" cabinets). None of the wood-grained cabinets were bolted in so I suspect they were from a different camper and just included in the sale along with many other parts and pieces. The first thing I did was to take the seats and all the cabinets out and clean the vehicle top to bottom. It had been smoked in and ashtrays were overflowing. I don't think the vehicle had a good cleaning for years. The carpet was dirty beyond cleaning. It looked like it was stored with the windows down in a dusty barn for a number of years. There was dust and dirt in every nook and cranny. there was also white paint spilled all over the floor which ran all over the floor behind the front seats to underneath the rear seat. It had also run into the lower door slider tracks which made moving the door nearly impossible. I'm sort of a clean freak so I scoured every inch of the vehicle.

By now it was mid December and since I live in Minnesota I had to put the whole (interior renovation) project on hold until the weather warmed up. I decided on the name "Will" for my Westy. Over the course of winter, I drove Will around getting mechanical opinions. The three mechanics who checked him out all recommended the same work to be done-rear brakes, and full fluid flush. I had the brakes done at a local Midas shop. I wouldn't recommend them. They installed the wrong brakes (which I just found out about a month ago) and tried to sell me a bunch of other services that I didn't need or want. At a different shop, I had the fluids drained and flushed and had the belts and hoses all replaced. Will ran pretty strong so I felt good about him.

I also had the windows tinted because I like the privacy it affords and also because I knew with no AC it would get hot if I didn't have tinted windows. I also had a local body shop look at repairing the right, rear quarter panel that had been patched/repaired by a previous owner. The body shop was amazed that there was no rust anywhere on the body (I was too). While it was at the shop I stopped by to check on the repair. It was then that I decided to have Will repainted to seal and protect the pristine body. They did an excellent job. Finally in late April it was warm enough to begin the interior work again.

I read here that Westys can be kind of loud to ride in and can benefit by installing some sound deadening material so I bought and installed FatMat. It was not that much work and made a huge difference in the road noise. I installed an in-dash CD/MP3 player to celebrate the quieter ride.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376066[/img]
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376071[/img]

Next, I bought commercial grade carpet and used the original carpet as a template to cut the new carpet to fit. It was a lot of work but it looks great and cleans up easily and completely.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376068[/img]

I did some major cleaning and minor repair work on the cabinets and started reinstalling them. I didn't want mis-matched cabinets so I opted to install the complete set of the older, wood-grained cabinets. I didn't realize that the older, wood-grained cabinets were slightly larger than the beige cabinets so it was a real trick to get them in place. I installed carpet on the shelves which cuts down on stuff rattling and sliding around in the cabinet. I also installed a vinyl floor which looks great.

I had a friend sew some curtains and pillows for Will and my partner did the rear seat upholstery. I bought some seat covers (for the front seats) online which look good but don't really match the rear seat so I might just have another friend sew slip covers for the front seats from the left over material from the rear seat upholstery.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376072[/img]

OK, you have the history now for the modifications...

Since the camper equipment was never installed in my vehicle none of it was hooked up to any of the fittings. In fact most of the wires and hoses were in a box so this left me with a bit of a puzzle how to hook up the wires to read the tank water level, battery, water pump, refrigerator, etc. I decided to start from scratch. I know the auxiliary battery is supposed to go in the little space behind the driver's seat but that little space is so handy and accessible that I hated to just store a battery there. Also it was so small that an auxiliary battery would have to be pretty small to fit there which limits the amount of usable power it could store. I opted to go with a larger battery and store it in the bottom cabinet next to the water tank. The battery is stored way in the back of that cabinet which still gives me access to the front of that cabinet. I put the battery in one of those plastic, marine cases and have a small, float battery charger permanently hooked up to it. Whenever the camper is plugged in to 110V both of my batteries get charged. The auxiliary battery powers my lights, an inverter (which is permanently hooked up to a standard 110v outlet), the water pump, GPS/DVD player and refrigerator (even though I never run the refrigerator in the 12V system). I also installed two additional 12V outlets (one on the dash the other below the 110V outlet). I also decided to install some extra 110V outlets. I have one on the inside of the cabinet (to which the charger is plugged in) and one near the refrigerator vent (which is perfect for plugging in stuff on the swing out table and/or stove lid). I also ran a plug along the top so I could plug in a fan and/or a lamp with out having wires dangling near the stove and sink.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376076[/img]

I didn't like having to reach across anyone sitting on the bench to get cups and stuff out of the overhead cabinet so I built a small cabinet just under the bunk. It also give me a little more handy shelf space when I am cooking.
[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376075[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=376077[/img]

I also built a cabinet for a portable toilet which sits just between the two front seats. This is very handy for those times when nature calls in the middle of the night and you don't want to go outside and try to find the campground toilet. Additionally, it is great to have some place to put things down when I am driving. I will eventually build cup holders and arm rests into it. It can be removed for servicing (you know you have to dump the toilet after you get back home) or to be placed elsewhere if one wanted to do so. I usually briefly remove it when I get to my destination so I can turn the passenger seat around then put it right back between the seats. The passenger seat is the most requested seat in the van because it is the most comfortable and now also has a table right next to it.

My latest modification was to install a Shady Boy awning. I love the awning but that in itself is not the modification. I liked the shade it offered needed a way to keep bugs out so I also attached a screen tent to it. This serves a couple of purposes. First, it defines the space and really does make it another room without making it feel like you are closed up in a tent. It also keeps the mosquitoes and flies away from you and your guests. I like the fact that the Shady Boy awning folds up so compactly and weighs only 15 pounds. I had a different type of awning on my RoadTrek but it was a nightmare to put up and take down and it was heavy and clunky.

I have a few more ideas for modifications and will post them with some pictures when I get around to doing them.

Wow, this was a long post. Thanks for sticking with me.
Happy travels.

Last edited by Gary Russell on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New mod. After the last trip, my son pointed out he has nowhere to put drinks in the back. Personally, on boats, I've had bad luck with the flip out kind of drink holder.

So since I had made a mini table top to hold just a laptop. I though a mod was in order. I used a 3" hole saw to make the center hole. Then used a small router bit to round off the edges. I then took a small square of ABS sheet and clamped it over the hole with the texture side up. I then heated the ABS with my heatgun until soft and pressed a can (actually a minwax stain can was perfect) into the soft plastic into the hole I made. It made the plastic dish about 1/4" to catch condensation and the can. Reversed the square with the depression over the hole and screwed it down. I needed a couple of extra washers on the hand screw to keep it from poking the center of the plastic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn James, I'm going to have to retire just to keep up with you!!! Sweet mod, I especially like the ABS custom fitting modification.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice friggin' work!

My wife and I are getting ready to take a 2500 mile road trip, and we're in the dilemma of trying to find good cup holders. Seems like this topic has gone around more than a few times here on the Samba. I used to have a perfect setup, but then one of the cup holders broke, and they aren't made anymore. Someday I'll find or make the perfect solution...

Cheers!
-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two inexpensive cupholder that have worked well for me in front are, the black nylon Case Logic folding center console, $12 from eBags, holds up to six large drinks has pockets for keys controllers etc. The forward one is a $6 one from one of the discount big boxes, held down with double back cold weather foam tape. The cup size is adjustable on that.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Sway Bars Reply with quote

On my very first trip in my new '86 Wolfsburg Weekender I came up over a hill and "Whoosh!" I just about got blown into the oncoming lane by a gust of wind. I had a canoe strapped on top and was wondering if I had bought the right vehicle since I almost always carry a canoe or kayak up there.

I did some research in an old "Hot VW" magazine and found a solution. The article I found said to: 1) get KYB shocks (Bilstiens would be better, but this was in 1986); 2) get oversize all-terrain tires; and 3) install heavy duty sway bars.

I proceeded to get the KYB shock, Bridgstone Duellers, and found a set of heavy duty sway bars (front and rear) in a JC Whitney catalog. I had to do some drilling into my frame to mount the back bar, but it wasn't too hard to do. I also had to replace the front sway bar bracket with a new one they included.

The original front sway bar was 5/8" and there was no sway bar on the rear. The new one is a 1" bar on the front, and a 7/8" bar on the rear.

I don't know of anyone else who has this mod, but it sure made a difference in the way my van handles. It corners a lot flatter than before. Laughing Laughing
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Steak and Potato kind of guy. My favorite mod is a MAGMA Marine Gas Grill to the rear corner panel for that perfectly cooked ribeye. Yummm.... and it packs away under the seat while underway. Only thing left is figuring out how to tie it into the onboard propane tank.

Second, a rap around Oak center console with two shelves that I made. One shelf is about 4 inches deep and 12 inches wide and resides along the top edge of the plastic cover for front center heat vents and mostly for pens and other smaller items. The lower, larger shelf the same width has the shifter going through the middle and 45 degree corners for added ease getting to the back. This mod is not finished. Cupholders are still due to be added by adding a sliding shelf that comes out from under the lower shelf. Can't wait to have time to finish it. No photos of this one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice BBQ set up.Check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245630&highlight=

Just used my set up again at the Vanagon So Cal BBQ.And why didn't I do this sooner? Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great mods, so little time.... Wink
Not to hammer on vw, but there are so MANY things that were designed um, less than ideally? that it'll give us all plenty of stuff to change.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
The one thing I've done to my westy, that I could not do without, is the adventurewagen top. Smile Smile Smile Got it from a junkyard in the eastern sierras 6-9 months ago. Off came the poptop, and 4 of us moved over the high-top. Smile
Funny though, all that extra space, and just a short time later it was all used up (put my bike up inside now). So I could still use some more space. Confused Confused
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that oak/babinga center console I mentioned in my last post. At the moment, it's just a catch all. Hopefully some time soon I will be adding a slide out cup holder to the lower shelf, which is the whole reason of my building it in the first place.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Did someone say cupholders? Reply with quote

For those who have expressed an interest in cupholders, check these out:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/Cupholders

Very cheap and easy to install and they work great. There's more that I have done (2 fluorescents to replace the one kitchen light, soundproofing, closet sliding door mod to replace and enlarge the side hinged door access, etc.) but these are a great effort/benefit bit of work.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: More of our Westy mods Reply with quote

Here are links to some more pics of the interior mods:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/Soundproofing02

Soundproofing, insulation and rust prevention treatment was the reason for the interior removal. There was no rust as it turned out, but I needed to be sure of what I was dealing with. Much of the interior had to come out to remove the closet anyway, so why not do it all?

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/WestyInterior03

The 12V fluorescents came from an RV supplier and provide much better light. The closet mod provides much better access to the space and the shelves are more useful to us than the hanging closet. More lighting on the way.

The Nissan wheel was a trial fit. It was borrowed from my neighbor while he worked on his car. I read somewhere that they fit and it was worth a try.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/TableMod

Table mod PVC sleeve helps prevent tilt/slop when the table is raised. Also, we parked the rear table and use the front table in the rear. Front table leg has been replaced with an improved step for upper bunk access.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: