Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

1. My favorite mods thus far is the raising up in place with the rear table which is on here somewhere. That sucker is invaluable.

2. Front table mount to the bottom of the A/C cabinet:
http://campervanculture.com/shop/campervan-culture...rida-grey/

3. Two person sleeping bag

4. 2" Memory Foam Topper for lower bed. I think i got it at overstock or amazon for around $70.00

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

mtnride1 wrote:
I really like the battery tray from peace vans holds a 160ah battery fits under the sliding door so I did not lose any storage, kept my 48ah battery under the seat so even if I do not hook up my portable solar I have been able to stay out 6 days. Oh and my heated Recaros and the t-49 truck fridge, if I keep looking at everyone else's mods on this forum I am going to go broke.

Mine is being installed now! Supposed to pick it up on Wednesday ahh I can't wait

I used the ViperSmart for the GPS system
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Stick some SOLAS(safety of life at sea) tape on the bottom of the rear hatch so that it is always in place whenever the hatch is open and it is over the height of people's bodies so that it cannot be blocked or forgotten to be placed in the right spot. I can't see putting the decklid at the rear of the van while trying to work on something being beneficial.
I have that tape on the 4 corners of my truck rear gate when it is open and you can easily see it with a flashlight from across a campground.
jimf909 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I never saw this reflector idea, I'll be copying this!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really liked this when I saw it on TexasVanagons but here's how my thinking went:
- not all events that force us to the shoulder require us to remove the engine cover;
- when forced to the side of the road we should have warning triangles or flares at the ready and they should be adequate to meet the needs of safety for my party as well as those approaching me;
- the engine cover may be buried under all sorts of stuff;
- therefore, this idea is a secondary back-up measure, a nice-to-have but certainly not anything I'd rely on to alert oncoming traffic to my situation.

Before this, ensure that primary precautions are taken.

I'd also suggest putting the reflective tap in the vallies of of the lid (versus the peaks) to protect it a bit from wear and snags.

That's all. Carry on.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

It's been several years since I've posted to this thread, and I've completed several more 'favorite' mods since then. In no particular order -

Chipped 1.8T makes it a totally different vehicle.
    Oil cooler to keep the temps within a tighter range 200-230ish.
    Regear with lower R&P (5.50), and slightly higher 3rd and 4th. The result closely mimics the stock gear/tire ratios with 28.5 inch tires, and a lower (torquier) 1st and 2nd. Excellent driveability in a heavier van with this gearing.
    CLKs with 28.5 inch Nokian D-rated tires.
    Lifted and customized suspension with a 'sportier' feel.
    Disc brakes all around, though the ebrake took some finagling.

There have been dozens of mods inside and out that are worthwhile and I've greatly enjoyed, but few have changed the drive and handling like those listed above.

CLKs with Nokian WRC Cargos

Perma cool oil cooler under the slider, now with a protective screen

samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Stick some SOLAS(safety of life at sea) tape on the bottom of the rear hatch so that it is always in place whenever the hatch is open and it is over the height of people's bodies so that it cannot be blocked or forgotten to be placed in the right spot. I can't see putting the decklid at the rear of the van while trying to work on something being beneficial.
I have that tape on the 4 corners of my truck rear gate when it is open and you can easily see it with a flashlight from across a campground.

Similar to what I did with my Bay?

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

That illustrates what I was mentioning nicely, they are always in place and visible.
VolkswagenT25.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

A bit of thread resurrection Wink
http://campervanculture.com/2016/10/my-favourite-v...es-part-1/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

VolkswagenT25.com wrote:

I am getting the rear USB power but man they have a few others. That shower head deal is pretty cool. I have a screen so getting it out the drivers window may be harder. However I bet the hose can be exchanged. Pretty cool
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
VolkswagenT25.com wrote:

I am getting the rear USB power but man they have a few others. That shower head deal is pretty cool. I have a screen so getting it out the drivers window may be harder. However I bet the hose can be exchanged. Pretty cool

I have the shower head mod. Love it, mostly for how easy it is to fill pots with water, spray things off that I've washed, etc.. You can easily extend but not exchange the hose. The plastic piece closest to the hose is a POS and will eventually crack, necessitating futzing with pvc to replace it. No need to go out the window, just use the driver's door which is easier to get to anyway. Last I checked, vwbusshop.de had them cheapest. If I were doing it again I might just be tempted to use a foot switch with a simple sink sprayer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Stephenmarklay wrote:
VolkswagenT25.com wrote:

quote="owokie"]

I have the shower head mod. Love it, mostly for how easy it is to fill pots with water, spray things off that I've washed, etc.. You can easily extend but not exchange the hose. The plastic piece closest to the hose is a POS and will eventually crack, necessitating futzing with pvc to replace it. No need to go out the window, just use the driver's door which is easier to get to anyway. Last I checked, vwbusshop.de had them cheapest. If I were doing it again I might just be tempted to use a foot switch with a simple sink sprayer.

I believe that CVC sells a kit for the European T3 (easily modified for the Vanagon). The VWbusshop.de sells just the necessary parts for the T4. Either way CVC is out of stock now... Too bad!

Can you have a cutting board covering the sink? Will it clear that when the shower head is attached to the back of sink/stove cabinet cover? I tried looking for a thread on that mod to no avail. Do you have pics? I would like to see it in a Vanagon, though it should not be that different, just an adaptor for the faucet opening width.

Here is CVC's video if anyone is interested: https://vimeo.com/167616700

Thanks! I can see why you love it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I put one in that I found at wreckers yard. Was missing the control knob and I had to make a replacement. Was pretty well straightforward to make an insert to fit on sink to hold the faucet.

Blog post from back in 2010

https://shufti.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/eurovan-faucet-in-vanagon-westy-sink/

Worked ok, but felt that the stock water pump really didn't have the oomph to make it shine.

Recently I installed a diaphragm type water pump and although it makes more noise than the stock pump, the faucet works so much better.

https://shufti.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/vanagon-fresh-water-pump-update/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Stephenmarklay wrote:
VolkswagenT25.com wrote:

I am going to have to get this. Is the little plastic piece circumference big enough to cover the original hole or do you need a big washer? Also, how far out can you get the head out the drivers door? That looks like a useful feature.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Pictures when I get home, but I suspect total length of the hose is 4ish feet. I'll measure. The vwbusshop "kit" had what I needed aside from brass adapter to og water line and an insert into the sink. I wouldn't see a problem with a cutting board. As to water pressure, my stock pump is more than adequate, in fact I've got the flow set at less than it will put out, something you can adjust with this faucet easily. I simply took the stock black faucet that was there, used a cutoff wheel to remove the head, and the remaining plastic/hole that remains is the perfect diameter for the new faucet. Again, a picture this evening will likely help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
I simply took the stock black faucet that was there, used a cutoff wheel to remove the head, and the remaining plastic/hole that remains is the perfect diameter for the new faucet.

Smart!
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Faucet at full extension, faucet sitting how I travel (obviously with the lid down), nesting pots in the sink. From recollection the grey piece was slightly smaller than the stock hole, thus me cannibalizing the old faucet. I'm sure any old piece of thin plastic would serve the purpose, but then you'd have to drill the screw holes etc.

figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Owokie, did your kit come with a clip to keep the handle under the cover and decided not to use it? I'm wondering if I should wait for the CVC more complete kit (if it is in fact more complete) or the one from Germany which is available now and cheaper.

I gather you must lose the city water connection, correct? That would be fine with me. I may turn that in to a hook up for the a future solar panel.

I think I need to do this mod as well, but first I will tackle the front door speakers Smile
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

On the same page as the Westfalia shower tap on the vwbusshop.de site:

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../701070821

...there is also listed the shower head carrier:

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts..../701070813

When you order the two together, you get almost the same kit as CVC offers.

You'll still need a 3/8" BSPT to 3/8" barb converter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXYBB6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This kit does not interfere with your city water connection. It simply replaces the existing Westy faucet with an extending spray head that has flow control and spray/stream control built into the head.

kourt
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks, Kourt!

UPDATE: purchased from VWbusshop!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

More info on the Westfalia shower tap:

If you have a North American market Westy, the existing hole in your galley sink will be too large for the Westfalia shower tap rosette (the gray plastic base in which it stands, and through which the extended hose travels).

I am documenting an easy method for solving this problem. You will build a plastic disc that spans the gap, allowing the Westfalia rosette to be installed.

I previously had a Shurflo faucet bought through GoWesty, which included a disc of stainless steel as its base. Using this disc is a good template, but not required if you read these directions.

The GoWesty base disc has an inner hole that is too small. You could drill it out, but you would ruin the disc in case you wanted to revert to the Shurflo for some reason.

Go to Home Depot or some other hardware store that sells electrical supplies. You need to find a two-gang plastic junction box in gray plastic, preferably with a solid back.

Also buy a 3" hole saw and a smaller hole saw--1" for the inner hole. Both hole saws need the same size pilot bit for accuracy.

Clamp down the j-box and drill out a 3" gray plastic disc. Then clamp the disc and drill out the 1" hole in the center. Lastly, mark and drill the three screw holes and obtain stainless machine screws and nuts to screw it down.

Dress up the edges of the disc with sand paper. Assemble the rosette onto the new gray plastic disc and install into the galley sink hole.

A friend pointed out that sometimes, in the course of play, your balls get dirty. Anyone can wash balls in the sink.

But what if you've got a ball that's too big for the sink? It helps to be able to wash them outside.

I hope this helps.

kourt
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
...[I]n the course of play, your balls get dirty. Anyone can wash balls in the sink.

this may just be a keeper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 19

Jump to: