Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I just received an assortment of Quick Fist clamps (from 4/2/2017 in this thread and also shown in a separate thread recently). I’ll probably use them on the closet as shown above and possibly in the bottom of the rear bench (raise the bench and there’s something that needs to be handy held in with a quick fist clamp).

I’ve also enjoyed the 250 psi hatch struts suggested in a different thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687800. This allows me to easily raise the hatch with two bikes on the Fiama rack. The Stabilus struts that I believe I got from GW are marked 200N (about 67 psi according to an online calculator).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lower strut in each photo is the one ordered from McMaster-Carr along with the end fittings mentioned in the thread above.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

How hard is it to close the hatch WITHOUT bikes or a rack installed using those struts?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

It’s more difficult but I wont day its hard, it just takes some effort to close whereas with oem struts it’s fairly easy.

I’m also experimenting with one 250 psi strut and a 70N strut. There’s a balance to be achieved based on the most common weight carried on the hatch. I could open and close the hatch with two 70N struts but it was getting dicey and I had to prop it open using the Gary Lee conduit or s ladder.

Ultimately, I want to add a swingaway to carry bikes and a small box. We carry bikes a lot and I like to use the hatch so these struts are a good step forward but may not be the end result.

The bikes and rack probably weigh about ~75 lbs.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Faves:
Jack Bombay Pop top struts
Alistair’s kitchen/hob lid strut
Lighted cup holders
Pop top insulation
Heated seats : )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Thought I contributed to this thread but can't find anything from me so here's a couple mods I did to our white turd which I really enjoyed doing.

Extra ciggy lighter and USB port on the side of the stove:

Driver's side grab handle:

Passenger door map pocket:

Craig
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure everybody knows this already 'cause I'm always the last to learn about shit around here, but I discovered something "new" yesterday. I have my interior gutted currently as I'm cleaning and sound-proofing like a madman. My kick panel had a crappy looking carpet with a shrinking vinyl covering underneath. I didn't like the look of it, so I began peeling off the layers, and lo and behold I found wood...like, real wood. It seems to be beech and as usual for Westfalia, the quality of the ply is quite decent. I spent about twenty minutes with an orbital sander to get the residual glue off and was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked.

These pics are after two coats of polyurethane.

I suspect that all the models with a vinyl covered kick panel are eligible for this wood "upgrade"...but you knew that already, didn't you.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

That was definitely worth the effort. It looks great with the varnish.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

led headlights. major upgrade Cool

unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I like the Upper Bunk Powerpod to give USB power for my phone while sleeping up top! Wink It's also easy to power awning lights as it is located righ above the slider...

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/upper-bunk-powerpod/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Today my kitchen table was swinging and banging round for the umpteenth time, so I got home and was determined to solve the problem. I did a Samba search and I eventually decided to apply some left over tread tape on the tube and the pressure plate and I hope that does the trick.

I personally would have just removed the table but my wife says it's a necessity for laying out toiletries and what not at night. The front table has long been in storage.

In the course of my samba search to resolve the moving table syndrome, someone mentioned that the front table is smaller than the kitchen table. A light bulb went off in my head. Idea

So I removed the kitchen table. Got the front table and moved the attachment plate on the bottom and I have now solved the closet access issue which drove me mad on all our trips (not being able to get to jackets without moving the table), and I did it without having to cut a new door into the side (as I had been planning). Best of all it cost nothing.

Only glitch- while moving the mounting plate's position, there are threaded inserts and one did not align perfectly and I thought I could cajole it in at a slight angle. I stripped the bolt. I just put a wood screw in its place. It's on the bottom so you do see anything.

YEA! I can open the door with the table in place!

Ooops

Last edited by llilibel03 on Mon May 28, 2018 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Love my floor..

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

It has to be the parquet oak floor i put in 38 yrs ago! it will outlast the bus and me! Yes i know it needs to be refinished!

greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Noblecr wrote:
Trucker fridge
Recaro seats
2211 propex heater
New carpet and flooring
Adding doors to the rear bench!! Game changer

that carpet job looks so nice. I might change my plans to rubberize. did you do it yourself? how?
Vannimal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Here are a few recent mods. I found a window seal product today that is easy to work with and stops a lot of the rattling caused by the kitchen I cut it down the centre and stuck it in place. Bought at Home Depot (Canada) and cheap, about $9.00. I have used on my cabinet doors and across the stove top with great results.

I also removed and converted my fridge to additional storage.

Some other fav mods I have done include:

- Installing small LED pot lights in my 'catch all' above the stove. These flood my kitchen with lots of warm light.
- AAZ Engine Conversion
- Stereo upgrade
- Fox Shocks
-GW 1.5" Lift springs with .5" rear blocks
-16" Metro rims with BFG A/T tires
- Rebuilt tranny
- Rebuilt clutch
- Window tint
- Made all new interior paneling
- New upholstery
- Removed all gross vinyl and sanded and painted all cabinetry
- Exterior propane hook up
- Fimma bike rack
- Steering wheel wrap with cycling bar tape.
- Sound proofing on engine hatch/firewall (currently working on rest of van)
- Roof Racks
- Jack Bombay struts
- New tent

In progress:
- Body work/paint
- Barn board flooring
- Sound proofing
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

That's a solid list!

Is the van on your forearm missing a rear tire?

Abscate wrote:

Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Thought I contributed to this thread but can't find anything from me so here's a couple mods I did to our white turd which I really enjoyed doing.

I really like the vent cover mod! Was that something you made or is it something someone is selling? I'd love to get one.
Vannimal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
That's a solid list!

Is the van on your forearm missing a rear tire?

Lol...no, just poor lighting...however, if it was missing the tire, I feel like that would be appropriate considering the amount of shit that brake and/or disintegrate on these vehicles! In hindsight I should have gotten a tattoo of the CAA logo with a "lifetime member" hahah
Vannimal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
cmayna wrote:

I really like the vent cover mod! Was that something you made or is it something someone is selling? I'd love to get one.

Love the drivers side grab handle...I will be stealing this idea when Vannimal is back from body work!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Watch out drilling the holes, I'm pretty sure there's wires in that pillar.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

1. GoWesty 16" steel wheels with Nitto Crosstek 215R70 16" tires.
2. New brown door pull finger guard trim from uniWerks Design.
3. 1.5" lift springs from GoWesty.
Now the Bus drives as I feel it should have from the factory.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: