Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I also have one behind the front seats which will rotate 180 degrees
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Just ordered the 2 pack - my wife's car is messier than the van. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Absolutely love these window shades - I can put them up and down in seconds. I don’t even use the front curtains for sleeping anymore since my windows are tinted. Barely obstructs view , and since i drive van a lot , I end up using the shades when I stop for only 5 mins where otherwise I wouldn’t be bothered pulling out a normal sun shade.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/window-shades-insulation/4178/eclipse-sun-shade---side-16-?v=
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Love my basic fruit / gear hammock

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Wanted an easy way to keep my storage bins open while rummaging around getting stuff out. Very simple, clean-looking, unobtrusive. These are hooks that take no drilling and can be removed w/out a trace if I ever want to. (Btw, the beige tape is holding back the peeling vinyl laminate. Not the most aesthetic, but Rosie's a camper, not a show car. Maybe I'll get around to replacing the whole vinyl, but not high on the list.)

Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

deadheaddub, I hate to point out but we use the lower curtain stay/wire and loop it over the cabinet lid(s) we want to keep up..
best of all it's already installed and free on vans so equipped. (*I see it in your 2nd pic). Wink

deadaheadub wrote:
Wanted an easy way to keep my storage bins open while rummaging around getting stuff out. Very simple, clean-looking, unobtrusive. These are hooks that take no drilling and can be removed w/out a trace if I ever want to. (Btw, the beige tape is holding back the peeling vinyl laminate. Not the most aesthetic, but Rosie's a camper, not a show car. Maybe I'll get around to replacing the whole vinyl, but not high on the list.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
deadheaddub, I hate to point out but we use the lower curtain stay/wire and loop it over the cabinet lid(s) we want to keep up..
best of all it's already installed and free on vans so equipped. (*I see it in your 2nd pic). Wink

Thanks, I've used the curtain line in the past but it seems to be wearing a bit and I didn't want to use it until it weakened enough to break, being 37 years old and all. I want to keep it functional for its intended purpose; I like having it keep the curtains in place and didn't want to have to replace it.
I know how age tends to make us less flexible and stiff, speaking from experience Wink
But thanks anyway.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Thanks, I've used the curtain line in the past but it seems to be wearing a bit and I didn't want to use it until it weakened enough to break, being 37 years old and all. I want to keep it functional for its intended purpose; I like having it keep the curtains in place and didn't want to have to replace it.
I know how age tends to make us less flexible and stiff, speaking from experience Wink
But thanks anyway.

I agree, the little elastic cord (Edit: spiral coil 'spring' encased in the vinyl tube Laughing ) is only going to stretch so many times before it breaks someday and I'm in and out of those cabinets on a daily basis. I found another solution (https://amzn.to/3r9GzFo), I think in this very thread somewhere:
I have a bunch of those hooks, too, and might have used a couple of those if I'd seen your post. I do use a similar hook for my slider curtain:

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)

Last edited by Vanlife Geek on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

trying not to be pedantic
but it's not elastic. it's a spiral coil 'spring' encased in the vinyl tube.
it's curtain cord and it's available new if yours has failed for XYZ reason over the years..
though you may have to search for the proper brown if you (or your spouse) really futz it up and close the lids w/o uncatching the cord
curtain cord https://www.amazon.com/Curtain-Hanging-Self-Adhesive-Hooks-3Meter/dp/B07HVRDQ1Q
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

But thanks anyway.

I agree, the little elastic cord (Edit: spiral coil 'spring' encased in the vinyl tube Laughing ) is only going to stretch so many times before it breaks someday and I'm in and out of those cabinets on a daily basis. I found another solution (https://amzn.to/3r9GzFo), I think in this very thread somewhere: I have a bunch of those hooks, too, and might have used a couple of those if I'd seen your post. I do use a similar hook for my slider curtain:

Actually, I had been looking, unsuccessfully, for those "catches" which were described as used for RV cabinets which I, too, had seen in this thread; I then tried to find something to do the same and saw these in the store and decided they might work for my purpose. I like that they're so small and almost invisible and didn't require any permanent modifications like drilling holes.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

How did they not design a hatch like that at the factory, I don’t know.

Show us the end result when your done.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
DuncanS wrote:

How did they not design a hatch like that at the factory, I don’t know.

Show us the end result when your done.

Or even cooler, imo, design it for a treasure chest-like lid.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Deadhead--My brain is overflowing with wacky ideas--and now you've just added another which can't be passed up----groan.

Duncan
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Deadhead--My brain is overflowing with wacky ideas--and now you've just added another which can't be passed up----groan.

Duncan

Sorry!
not Twisted Evil
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

Not at all Ryan. But at least post some links or photos of the Peg Leg Pete treasure chest lid for some further 2 AM pondering.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

I saw someone, I think site member owokie who did this mod, so I gave it a try and love it. It makes use of the westy closet access that at least for me seemed useless after I installed the the fridge door closet mod for better side access. I changed it a bit from owokie's install by adding a top shelf that spans the entire closet length. This mod cost only my time as I had some wood and paint lying around the shop.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

very nice, the way a Westy SHOULD have come. Idea

one could still add a little metal spice rack to the outside face of the door, if they were so inclined.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

one could still add a little metal spice rack to the outside face of the door, if they were so inclined.

Agreed. I was going to do the Rhino Design closet door mod before I found this idea. I am glad I found this first.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite Westy/Vanagon mod? Reply with quote

physast wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Agreed. I was going to do the Rhino Design closet door mod before I found this idea. I am glad I found this first.

Dig it! The top shelf going all the way back is a solid improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: