Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The best method for timing?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: The best method for timing? Reply with quote

I have a question about timing for Anne. She is a stock 1500 6V with dual stock carbs, single port with vacuum advance distributor. What is the best method for setting the timing? My uncle helped me with it and unplugged the vacuum line from the distributor when timing it while running. Should that be left on when it's running with the timing light? Should I use the cheapy method of turning the dist (engine not running) until the points close and setting it that way? Or is he right in unplugging the line when setting the timing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with stock equipment and an all stock motor, I would time it the old fashoned way, engine off, with a test light. You should be able to look up your engine # in any good vw book tune up section to find the correct timing mark to use
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do that? What tools do I need?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three VWs and you don't know how to set timing with a test lamp (spare bulb)?

Do you have Muir's Idiot book? (not trying to be insulting, that's its nickname). Best source for the novice and the rest of us alike. Has a good section on timing and why. And he does it with cheap tools, so you won't go broke.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy as it sounds, I've never used a timing light. I've actually never set the timing myself, and I've had VW's for 15 years.
Yep, I've got the idiot book. We used the timing chart in the book, but it didn't seem to help anything once I got her back on the road. I'm curious because we changed the timing quite a bit.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "best" way is with a digital timing light that has a built in tach and you can set the advance so you don't need a degreed pulley.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timing light will be no use on a 6v car. you will need to static time it as Eric states!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost: $100
Muir's way: 50c

Yeah, fancy will be better, but you can at least eliminate bad timing as a cause with a static setting.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
A timing light will be no use on a 6v car. you will need to static time it as Eric states!

My timing light works on both 6V and 12V, but yes, best bet on a stock 6V engine is to static time it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:

My timing light works on both 6V and 12V, but yes, best bet on a stock 6V engine is to static time it.

Is there a switch to go from 6 to 12v? or is it universal? I have never got one to work on a 6v car!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle hooked the timing light up to a 12V battery and attached the clamp to a ground and did it that way. It seemed to work.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:

Is there a switch to go from 6 to 12v? or is it universal? I have never got one to work on a 6v car!

It is just universal. All the timing lights I have will work on 6V. Mostly, the internals of the electronics of the light just want some power, 5V and up to about 24V.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most timing lights work on 6v. My old one I had to rev the engine to get it to start working but it was old.

You can also use a 12v battery as was mentioned.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it bad to unhook the vacuum line when timing the car using the timing light? Will it change the actual timing?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. If you set it to about 30 total at high rpm, you can leave it on. On the other hand, if you set it at idle to TDC or thereabouts, remove it from the distributor and plug it for the setting. See the books for the exact setting (or stay tuned, I'm sure I'll get corrected!)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go back to the idiot book, forget everything you have done, and start from the begining.

With all the stock equipment that you have, you do not need a static timing light (timing gun) it is much easier to do it the way the book has it
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Static timing light" is just a bare bulb in a socket with a couple of alligator clips. That is what the Idiot Book recommends. Dynamic (i.e., while moving) timing is what you would need a strobe for.
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the idiot book doesn't work for me in this instance. I used a light bulb the idiot book way and the light stays on for a full quater turn of the engine. What am I doing wrong? As I speak the car is half a block down the street and won't start.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up the static test light to the distributor side of the coil. (green wire). Turn the engine over to the timing marks slowly by hand. The light should just come on as you come to the timing mark. (points just opened). It WILL stay one for about 1/4 turn of the engine, or until the points close.
If it doesnt come on as you bring the engine onto the timing mark, move the distributor slightly and try again.
After you learn to do it this way a few times, you can actually do it by ear as you will hear the point snap as they open. A good thing to know if you are in the middle of nowhere and dont have any fancy tools.

Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work! Thanks guys, it made a WORLD of difference.

Now my only frustration is with the starter, but as long as I plan out my trips with a half an hour in between drives I'll be OK.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: